INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a maximum folder size when importing?  (Read 907 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Is there a maximum folder size when importing?
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:15:00 pm »

I have a compilation containing 600+ individual items @ 30.8 GB.

However, when I import into MC 23, the folder contains only 534 music tracks?!

From where might I be getting the discrepancy?  There are some jpgs in the compilation folder but nowhere near 70+/- that I can find.

Thanks.

swiv3d

Re: Is there a maximum folder size when importing?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:33:10 pm »

There isn't a maximum limit for import folders, JRiver is just searching them and importing their tags into it's library.

If you open your compilation folder in windows explorer and do a search for *.mp3 or whatever your music file's extension is you will get a list of allof the *.mp3 files in the folder and the number of these files is listed at the bottom of the search results page. That way you will know exactly how many music tracks there are in the folder. If you have multiple  file extensions you can search for them individually and tot up there total.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 12:53:00 pm »

There isn't a maximum limit for import folders, JRiver is just searching them and importing their tags into it's library.

If you open your compilation folder in windows explorer and do a search for *.mp3 or whatever your music file's extension is you will get a list of allof the *.mp3 files in the folder and the number of these files is listed at the bottom of the search results page. That way you will know exactly how many music tracks there are in the folder. If you have multiple  file extensions you can search for them individually and tot up there total.

All 629 files, from the item count lower left, in the compilation folder have the MC logo as a prefix with the exception of maybe 10 jpg's.

When I highlight all the files in the opened folder and do ADVANCED TOOLS -> ANALYZE AUDO, the system says 534 cued.

SO, I have a least a discrepancy of 70+ files.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 01:57:20 pm »

Are the "missing files" already in the jriver library somewhere? MC doesn't import files it knows are already in the library.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 05:26:20 pm »

Are the "missing files" already in the jriver library somewhere? MC doesn't import files it knows are already in the library.

Not sure...  Need to be line-by-line comparison to know what is missing which is what I am probably going to do to know for sure.

The fact that "MC doesn't import files it knows are already in the library." pretty much sucks since the compilation is comprised of tracks from various sources other than my existing library!  I am not in the habit of prechecking if a given track is already somewhere else!

FWIW, all the files in the compilation ARE formatted as ARTIST - TITLE which is NOT how they might appear elsewhere to best of my knowledge.

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 05:38:10 pm »

If you have analyse audio checked in the auto-import page then it may have already checked some of them. So FWIW look select the smart playlist Audio - - Task - Needs audio analysis and you will see what files are still needing analysis. If you select the recently imported playlist you will see a complete list of all files recently brought into the library. You should be able to work out any problems then. The fact that MC doesn't import the same file twice really DOESN'T SUCK at all.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 09:35:08 am »

If you have analyse audio checked in the auto-import page then it may have already checked some of them. So FWIW look select the smart playlist Audio - - Task - Needs audio analysis and you will see what files are still needing analysis. If you select the recently imported playlist you will see a complete list of all files recently brought into the library. You should be able to work out any problems then. The fact that MC doesn't import the same file twice really DOESN'T SUCK at all.

Thanks, Swiv3d.

I do not use auto-anything for managing my library...like hands-on approach.
That being said, I did find that there were 3 other albums in the library which contained the missing tracks.  Once I deleted them from library, their contents were "found" by the compilation.  Did not realize that even if files were copied to another folder that they would still exist in library until deleted.  Good to know.
IMO, it still would be nice if tracks could exist in more than one place in library.
Thanks for assist.
Happy 4th!
Pages: [1]   Go Up