INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo and 24bit, 96k FLAC file conversion issue?  (Read 646 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Gizmo and 24bit, 96k FLAC file conversion issue?
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:18:32 pm »

I have ripped some CDs using Magix SoundForge Pro 11.0 to FLAC at 96,000hz and 24bit. They play just fine in MC 24, as well as Windows Media Player. However, when I play the tracks in Gizmo, the tracks are played at less than half the length of the track. For example, a track that is 4:37 in length only plays about 2:07 before Gizmo skips to the next track. Each track that is ripped using SF at 96k/24bit does this, but only in Gizmo (I also use EOS, and it does the same thing), MC plays them fine. Gizmo even shows the track at 2:07 in length.  I even went as far as locating the downloaded files on my Android, opening them with Samsung Music, and the tracks are indeed only 2+ minutes in length. I've tried low, medium, and high bit rate conversion in Gizmo and they all do the same thing. The only way the tracks will play normally is if I use EOS and set the Audio Conversion to Off.

If I rip the tracks with SF and use the standard 44.1k, 16bit setting, Gizmo (and EOS) plays the tracks just fine. 96k/24bit files I have downloaded from HD Tracks also play just fine in Gizmo and EOS. I know that signs are pointing to SoundForge as the culprit, but that doesn't explain why MC and WMP plays them just fine until the conversion to Gizmo happens. MC will convert the files to MP3 without any problems as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

RD James

Re: Gizmo and 24bit, 96k FLAC file conversion issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:14:49 am »

Without posting a sample track, it's difficult for anyone to say what the cause might be.
However, there is absolutely no point in converting CDs to 24-bit 96 kHz tracks.
CDs are a 16-bit 44.1 kHz format, and conversion cannot change this.

You should use a Secure Ripping tool (which includes Media Center) to obtain a bit-perfect copy of the data stored on the disc in its original 16-bit 44.1 kHz format, and encode that to a lossless file type such as FLAC.
FLAC is recommended as the format has file integrity checks that many other lossless formats lack.
This is the absolute best that you can do for CD Audio.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Re: Gizmo and 24bit, 96k FLAC file conversion issue?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 10:53:03 am »

OK, I've seen the light and agree that ripping CDs to 24bit/96kHz isn't neccessary, but now this issue is happening with tracks I've purchased from HD Tracks. 24bit/192khz files are only playing 50 - 55 seconds of the song then jumping to the next.

Currently using MC 24.0.41 and the latest version of Gizmo from the Android Play Store.
Pages: [1]   Go Up