INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to stop duplicates left in MC after transfering to DAP  (Read 2790 times)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
How to stop duplicates left in MC after transfering to DAP
« on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:55 pm »

I have been loading some music files onto my new Astel&Kern DAP. I have MC 24.0.41 and I am using a laptop with Windows 7.

I started small with one of my playlists, (about 32GB, 828 songs in mostly FLAC), and after downloading them to my DAP I have duplicates of all those files in MC 24.0.41

Under the column, "Filenames", for all the duplicates it says something like this, "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac"

Under date imported, it says "not imported"

I'm sure there is a setting so it doesn't make duplicates when transferring songs to a DAP, but I cannot find it.

1. Are there any advantages to keeping the duplicate songs in MC? I can certainly see the disadvantage of them taking up more storage room.

2. Prior to this, I transferred MP3 songs to a SanDisk Clip and it made MP3 duplicates but they were stacked duplicates on top of the original music file. These I transferred in FLAC. Is that why they are not stacked and and why they have their own line in MC?

3. Where is the setting so it doesn't make duplicates when transferring songs to a DAP.

TIA
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: How to stop duplicates left in MC after transfering to DAP
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:21:51 pm »

do you have a .ISO file to match each of the cd's?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 02:31:04 pm »

do you have a .ISO file to match each of the cd's?

I don't know what a .ISO file is. I have ripped all my CD's with JRiver MC regular default if that helps.
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 02:38:19 pm »

Can you explain exactly how you transfer the files?  Is the DAP set up as a Handheld Device in MC?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »

I don't know what a .ISO file is. I have ripped all my CD's with JRiver MC regular default if that helps.
you don't know what a iso file is but you can quote your specs....

Desk Top:
JRiver 22 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  Elear/AH-D7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »

Can you explain exactly how you transfer the files?  Is the DAP set up as a Handheld Device in MC?

Yes, as a handheld device, set conversion to FLAC, playlist indicated, then in action window, (bottom left corner), sync files.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 03:35:09 pm »

you don't know what a iso file is but you can quote your specs....

Desk Top:
JRiver 22 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  Elear/AH-D7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:

I had no idea what a ISO file is, I had to google it and I'm still not sure what it is. I don't claim to be a computer whiz, I most assuredly am not. And I do struggle even with JRiver's basic operation. But I do know how to list the stuff I have  ;)
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 05:28:32 pm »

Did you send your converted files to the A&K over a wireless connection? And is your A&K's wireless address 192.168.0.109? Did you use handheld sync to transfer the files?

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 05:42:18 pm »

Did you send your converted files to the A&K over a wireless connection? And is your A&K's wireless address 192.168.0.109?

I had a wired connection, and I was trying to send them unconverted as their existing FLAC files. My Local IP is actually: 192.168.0.102, in original post I made a mistake.
Public IPv4 is: [deleted by admin]
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 06:03:17 pm »

Does your A&K have wireless connection ability? and is it turned on? It looks like MC is including the files on your A&K in your library. Not absolutely sure but that's my best guess. Check if your A&K is included in autoimport sites and if so just remove it.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 06:05:29 pm »

Does your A&K have wireless connection ability? and is it turned on?

Yes and yes.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 06:11:27 pm »

You answered as I was editing my reply so look up! Those files aren't stored on your computer as duplicates, so they aren't taking up space.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 06:38:45 pm »

Does your A&K have wireless connection ability? and is it turned on? It looks like MC is including the files on your A&K in your library. Not absolutely sure but that's my best guess. Check if your A&K is included in autoimport sites and if so just remove it.

Thanks. Would that be within MC settings to remove?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 06:44:29 pm »

If you select Tools>Import (at the top of the menu) it will take you to the import configuration pages. Select autoimport and see what folders you are autoimporting from. If your A&K isn't there then I'm lost.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 07:05:57 pm »

If you select Tools>Import (at the top of the menu) it will take you to the import configuration pages. Select autoimport and see what folders you are autoimporting from. If your A&K isn't there then I'm lost.

Under folders it is:
D:\Music\ [System Music folder]

Below that box is "Tasks" and there's nothing about Astel&Kern that I can see.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 07:13:44 pm »

:D So I have no idea, I take it you are not on a windows os? Somewhere MC has the notion that your A&K is part of its library -it won't make a difference really you just get those weird references to the files on you DAP appearing in your album display view. Just re-read your original post and MC is saying it didn't import them, so autoimport won't be relevant.

swiv3d

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 07:24:07 pm »

I'm slow today!!! You synced with the A&K so MC is keeping a list of the synced files so that when you change the synced list it will be able to delete and add the file changes correctly - so no need to panic!

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 11:10:35 pm »

I'm slow today!!! You synced with the A&K so MC is keeping a list of the synced files so that when you change the synced list it will be able to delete and add the file changes correctly - so no need to panic!

My usual view of MC while looking at the tree, under "Audio", is looking at all the “Files”. And after downloading the files to the AK 100 II, the duplicate file for each song is located in a row right below each row of the original songs in MC.

And like I said, in MC under the column, “Filenames”, for all the rows of each duplicate it says something like, “http://192.168.0.103:5501/AudioItem/8743.flac“. And under “date imported” it says “not imported”.

There is a problem with all this. That is when playing songs within MC on my computer, when playing a song that has been downloaded to the DAP, the next song is of course the next row right below it. And that file is like you said, “synced with the A&K so MC is keeping a list of the synced files so that when you change the synced list it will be able to delete and add the file changes correctly” and this row does not play the song but MC pauses there for about 14 seconds until it realizes it is not a playable song, then it finally moves to the next row below it to play the next song.

Prior to getting the AK player, I had downloaded MP3 songs to a SanDisk Clip, and as mentioned before, it made duplicates in MC, but they were stacked duplicates in the same row with the original music file. When playing songs in MC it would not hang, it would only play the original song in that row without any pauses.

In MC you can see a little icon representing the stacked converted MP3 songs, duplicated from the SanDisk downloads, in one of the far left columns next to the column with thumbnails of the album covers.

I guess the cure would be if it did not create these duplicates at all. Or if it would store them somewhere else other than where they are, so they wouldn’t hang/pause MC every time MC tried to play them.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 01:33:35 am »

My usual view of MC while looking at the tree, under "Audio", is looking at all the “Files”. And after downloading the files to the AK 100 II, the duplicate file for each song is located in a row right below each row of the original songs in MC.
Try a view other than Files.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 08:32:40 am »

Try a view other than Files.

Doesn't matter. If I go to albums, artists or whatever, pull up the album by itself, the download file shows up and does the same thing. It pauses when it is in the que for ~ 14 seconds until it realizes it is not a playable song, then it finally moves to the next row below it to play the next song.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 12:23:06 pm »

Go to files select the http:// group when they are all in the display window select them all and delete select remove from library not any of the other options.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 01:22:26 pm »

Go to files select the http:// group when they are all in the display window select them all and delete select remove from library not any of the other options.

If I don’t permanently delete the files and only remove them from my library, are they stored somewhere else on my computer?

Also, I don’t think I will be using the same playlists to download to AK 100 II all the time, why not remove from library AND permanently delete from disk?

This was only a 32GB cards worth of songs. When I want to load up my new 400GB micro SD there will be a magnitude more of these files mucking up my library. Is there a way when loading up a DAP that these duplicates do not get created in the first place?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 04:50:45 pm »

I wonder if this topic would be better in the "Androids and other portables" thread? If a moderator thinks that would be a good idea, could it be moved there? If not I'm fine with it here.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 05:16:47 pm »

Load the files you want directly via windows explorer or whatever operating system equivalent you have. If you sync with a handheld MC feels duty bound to remember everything. I always do direct transfer to avoid such complications. Like I said the files with HttP:// in their filepath are not on your main computer they are on your A&K. Just delete thenm with remove from library.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 12:25:57 am »

Load the files you want directly via windows explorer or whatever operating system equivalent you have. If you sync with a handheld MC feels duty bound to remember everything. I always do direct transfer to avoid such complications. Like I said the files with HttP:// in their filepath are not on your main computer they are on your A&K. Just delete thenm with remove from library.

Why the difference between the duplicate stacked MP3 song files created by MC/SanDisk Clip and the non-song FLAC file that is the next row right below original song in MC made by MC/AK100 II?

Is that difference dictated by the SanDisk and AK respectively, or is the difference made by MC? Or is the difference because the SanDisk song files are MP3 and the non-song AK files are from a FLAC music file?

I find it hard to believe that there is NOT a setting within MC to turn off creating the duplicate song file and/or the non-song file.

Using Windows 7 explorer would be tedious vs with MC Handheld, because with MC Handheld you are able to just choose a pre-existing playlist. That is much more convenient than trying to load up the DAP by copying and pasting the songs here and there with Windows explorer.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 12:59:44 am »

I find it hard to believe that there is NOT a setting within MC to turn off creating the duplicate song file and/or the non-song file.

I use the Handheld Sync functionality and it doesn't produce duplicates. You are doing something different to me obviously, but I can't tell what it is from what you have said so far. You shouldn't have been getting duplicates with the MP3 files either.

Do you connect the AK100 to the PC to load music, or do you take the SD card out of it and put that into a reader attached to the PC?
If you connect the AK100 to the PC to transfer files, do you connect it via wireless, or USB cable, or some other method?

Do you have the setting "Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Automatically import files when played" ticked?
What do you have set under "Options > File Location > Conversion Cache > Audio"?
What do you have set under "Options > File Location > Program Files > Temporary Files"?

Handheld Sync does not track what has been synced and what hasn't by creating a record in the MC Library. It creates a file and puts it onto the device, and if that isn't there, it checks the device again. So the function should not be adding these records into the MC Library no matter what.

As suggested above, the Auto Import settings are the obvious thing to check. If the AK100 is connected to the network, and is considered a storage location that can be referenced as a drive, the MC could be pointed at it to import the "files". But these aren't files, they are URLs to the files. That is more than a little weird. URLs can be imported into MC for playback though, so it is possible. The new streaming functionality in MC could have something to do with this issue. But we don't have enough information to tell yet.

With the AK100 connected, are you saying that your Auto Import only shows one folder to import, "D:\Music\ [System Music folder]". See my test example in the image below, which has three folders selected, one for each media type.
What does [System Music folder] mean? Where is that pointed to?
What do you have set for "Fix broken links" in the Auto Import configuration?
What do you have set for "Update for external changes" in the Auto Import configuration?

In fact, if you could post an image of your Auto Import configuration like I have, that would be great.

Create a small playlist of just a couple of albums, or six to ten tracks, and test with that. If it is still happening, describe exactly the process you are using to transfer the files.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 12:11:38 pm »

(I had to redo my answers/comments in bold. For whatever reason this post lost all my quotes in bold and quotes)

I use the Handheld Sync functionality and it doesn't produce duplicates. You are doing something different to me obviously, but I can't tell what it is from what you have said so far. You shouldn't have been getting duplicates with the MP3 files either.

Do you connect the AK100 to the PC to load music, or do you take the SD card out of it and put that into a reader attached to the PC?
I connect AK via USB cable. Maybe it would be better/simpler via card reader?

If you connect the AK100 to the PC to transfer files, do you connect it via wireless, or USB cable, or some other method?
USB cable, Should wireless be shut off during downloading?

Do you have the setting "Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Automatically import files when played" ticked?
Yes

I noticed under General “importing & tagging” > sidecar tagging mode: “Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported” > the option chosen is “Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported”

What do you have set under "Options > File Location > Conversion Cache > Audio"?
“Custom folder”, (Maybe this should be “None”?)

What do you have set under "Options > File Location > Program Files > Temporary Files"?
Under Temporary files > C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\JRiver\Media Center 24\Temp\.

Then when I click on that a “Browse For Folder” window pops up with an opton to “Make New Folder”

Handheld Sync does not track what has been synced and what hasn't by creating a record in the MC Library. It creates a file and puts it onto the device, and if that isn't there, it checks the device again. So the function should not be adding these records into the MC Library no matter what.

As suggested above, the Auto Import settings are the obvious thing to check. If the AK100 is connected to the network, and is considered a storage location that can be referenced as a drive, the MC could be pointed at it to import the "files". But these aren't files, they are URLs to the files. That is more than a little weird. URLs can be imported into MC for playback though, so it is possible. The new streaming functionality in MC could have something to do with this issue. But we don't have enough information to tell yet.

With the AK100 connected, are you saying that your Auto Import only shows one folder to import, "D:\Music\ [System Music folder]".
Yes

See my test example in the image below, which has three folders selected, one for each media type.
What does [System Music folder] mean? Where is that pointed to?
  Don't know, how can I find out?

What do you have set for "Fix broken links" in the Auto Import configuration?
What do you have set for "Update for external changes" in the Auto Import configuration?

In fact, if you could post an image of your Auto Import configuration like I have, that would be great.

Create a small playlist of just a couple of albums, or six to ten tracks, and test with that. If it is still happening, describe exactly the process you are using to transfer the files.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 09:36:13 pm »

Don't know, how can I find out?

I did some Googling and refreshed my memory.

I think I see the issue.

Windows has a bunch of defined of defined folders such as Video, Pictures, Documents, and Music. This is where Windows looks for files of those types. It looks like at some stage you have moved the Music folder (known as the "System Music folder") from the default "C:\Users\Steve\Music\" to "D:\Music\". That is fine, although I don't do that because I don't want the files MC manages to be interfered with by Windows. I've never particularly liked the Windows implementation of System folders, because strange audio files could end up in the System Music folder, and then MC would import them in your setup. But that is beside the point here.

I think by default the "JRiver Conversion Cache" folder is also put under the System Music folder, even if you have selected "Custom", but then haven't changed the target folder. So back when you where converting files to MP3s and loading them onto the SanDisk Clip, copies of the MP3s were being left in the Conversion Cache, and MC was then importing them, because you have Auto Import set up to import all files in "D:\Music\" and its subfolders. The problem here is that your System Music folder, and the Music folder that MC manages, are one and the same folder. I guess lots of people do that, but they must move the Conversion Cache folder. I have seen comments about people having to do that when using the Handheld Sync or MC Conversion functionality. If you hadn't changed your System Music folder to "D:\Music\" then the Conversion Cache would have stayed at "C:\Users\Steve\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\" and you wouldn't have seem this problem.

Something a little different is happening now, because you aren't converting the FLAC files, but are just loading them onto the AK100 as they are. But it seems that the Handheld Sync function is still leaving something in the Conversion Cache anyway, namely files in the format "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac". Mind you, I turned on the Conversion Cache on my MC installation and ran a Sync of FLAC files in Original format to my Sony XZ Premium, and no files of this type were created in the Conversion Cache. So there may still be something else going on, such as Sync Options. But it could just be because of the different device types. Let's see how we go with the stuff below.

Just to check on this theory, click on "Custom Folder" under the "Options > File Location > Conversion Cache > Audio" and see what it points to. I expect it will be pointing to "D:\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\".

Then have a look in that folder using Windows Explorer. Are there files in there in the format "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac"?

If so, there are a couple of easy fixes, and one other.
1. As you aren't converting the FLAC files, select "None" as the Audio Conversion Cache. Any files that MC creates as part of the process should then be created in the Temp directory, and then deleted. MC won't try to import them even if they aren't immediately deleted.
2. If you may convert audio files in future, perhaps to load to a different device, change the Conversion Cache setting to something that isn't under the "D:\Music\" folder, perhaps "D:\JRiver Conversion Cache\". That way any future cached files won't be imported into MC.
3. Another option would be to set your Windows System Music folder back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\" and set the Conversion Cache back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\", which is the default. Then leave all your music in "D:\Music\" for MC to manage. But that is your choice and I'll leave you to work out how to do that if you wish. NOTE: I suspect that if you try to change you System Music folder back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\", Windows may try to move all your music back there as well. Only try this if you have researched how, and do it very carefully.

Using a Conversion Cache is a good idea if you are actually converting format as you sync a handheld device, and often change the playlists selected for sync but have overlap in the files referenced. It saves time by using the cached converted files instead of re-converting them every time. I don't convert so I don't use a cache myself.

If you haven't read the Wiki articles on Handheld Sync and its options, it would be good to do so:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Handheld_Sync_Options

I connect AK via USB cable. Maybe it would be better/simpler via card reader?

I use a USB cable, and it works fine. Directly loading to a memory card is faster, and is a workaround if MC doesn't work properly with a device. But I wouldn't do that in your case, as the above should fix your issue.

USB cable, Should wireless be shut off during downloading?

No need. I just asked this, and a couple of other questions, to get a better feel for the environment you were working in. As you are using a USB cable, and now I understand your Auto Import settings, this shouldn't be a problem.

Yes

That's okay. I thought the rouge files may have been turning up when you tried to play them, or perhaps as the Handheld Sync function processed them this setting may have been doing the wrong thing. I don't think so now.

I noticed under General “importing & tagging” > sidecar tagging mode: “Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported” > the option chosen is “Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported”

That may be a new setting you haven't noticed before. There were some changes recently that added settings around Sidecar tagging. I believe that is the default setting, is the same as what used to happen before the changes, and is the best setting.

“Custom folder”, (Maybe this should be “None”?)

Maybe. That is option 1 above.  8)

Under Temporary files > C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\JRiver\Media Center 24\Temp\.

Then when I click on that a “Browse For Folder” window pops up with an opton to “Make New Folder”

No problem there, as MC isn't looking there for audio files. If this had been set to something like "D:\Music\JRiver\Media Center 24\Temp\", it would have been a problem, as MC will try to import everything under the "D:\Music\" folder.

Your "Fix broken links" setting is good as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 10:20:07 pm »

I did some Googling and refreshed my memory.

I think I see the issue.

Windows has a bunch of defined of defined folders such as Video, Pictures, Documents, and Music. This is where Windows looks for files of those types. It looks like at some stage you have moved the Music folder (known as the "System Music folder") from the default "C:\Users\Steve\Music\" to "D:\Music\". That is fine, although I don't do that because I don't want the files MC manages to be interfered with by Windows. I've never particularly liked the Windows implementation of System folders, because strange audio files could end up in the System Music folder, and then MC would import them in your setup. But that is beside the point here.

I think by default the "JRiver Conversion Cache" folder is also put under the System Music folder, even if you have selected "Custom", but then haven't changed the target folder. So back when you where converting files to MP3s and loading them onto the SanDisk Clip, copies of the MP3s were being left in the Conversion Cache, and MC was then importing them, because you have Auto Import set up to import all files in "D:\Music\" and its subfolders. The problem here is that your System Music folder, and the Music folder that MC manages, are one and the same folder. I guess lots of people do that, but they must move the Conversion Cache folder. I have seen comments about people having to do that when using the Handheld Sync or MC Conversion functionality. If you hadn't changed your System Music folder to "D:\Music\" then the Conversion Cache would have stayed at "C:\Users\Steve\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\" and you wouldn't have seem this problem.

Something a little different is happening now, because you aren't converting the FLAC files, but are just loading them onto the AK100 as they are. But it seems that the Handheld Sync function is still leaving something in the Conversion Cache anyway, namely files in the format "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac". Mind you, I turned on the Conversion Cache on my MC installation and ran a Sync of FLAC files in Original format to my Sony XZ Premium, and no files of this type were created in the Conversion Cache. So there may still be something else going on, such as Sync Options. But it could just be because of the different device types. Let's see how we go with the stuff below.

Just to check on this theory, click on "Custom Folder" under the "Options > File Location > Conversion Cache > Audio" and see what it points to. I expect it will be pointing to "D:\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\".

Then have a look in that folder using Windows Explorer. Are there files in there in the format "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac"?

If so, there are a couple of easy fixes, and one other.
1. As you aren't converting the FLAC files, select "None" as the Audio Conversion Cache. Any files that MC creates as part of the process should then be created in the Temp directory, and then deleted. MC won't try to import them even if they aren't immediately deleted.
2. If you may convert audio files in future, perhaps to load to a different device, change the Conversion Cache setting to something that isn't under the "D:\Music\" folder, perhaps "D:\JRiver Conversion Cache\". That way any future cached files won't be imported into MC.
3. Another option would be to set your Windows System Music folder back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\" and set the Conversion Cache back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\", which is the default. Then leave all your music in "D:\Music\" for MC to manage. But that is your choice and I'll leave you to work out how to do that if you wish. NOTE: I suspect that if you try to change you System Music folder back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\", Windows may try to move all your music back there as well. Only try this if you have researched how, and do it very carefully.

Using a Conversion Cache is a good idea if you are actually converting format as you sync a handheld device, and often change the playlists selected for sync but have overlap in the files referenced. It saves time by using the cached converted files instead of re-converting them every time. I don't convert so I don't use a cache myself.

If you haven't read the Wiki articles on Handheld Sync and its options, it would be good to do so:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Handheld_Sync_Options

I use a USB cable, and it works fine. Directly loading to a memory card is faster, and is a workaround if MC doesn't work properly with a device. But I wouldn't do that in your case, as the above should fix your issue.

No need. I just asked this, and a couple of other questions, to get a better feel for the environment you were working in. As you are using a USB cable, and now I understand your Auto Import settings, this shouldn't be a problem.

That's okay. I thought the rouge files may have been turning up when you tried to play them, or perhaps as the Handheld Sync function processed them this setting may have been doing the wrong thing. I don't think so now.

That may be a new setting you haven't noticed before. There were some changes recently that added settings around Sidecar tagging. I believe that is the default setting, is the same as what used to happen before the changes, and is the best setting.

Maybe. That is option 1 above.  8)

No problem there, as MC isn't looking there for audio files. If this had been set to something like "D:\Music\JRiver\Media Center 24\Temp\", it would have been a problem, as MC will try to import everything under the "D:\Music\" folder.

Your "Fix broken links" setting is good as well.

Thanks for all the info! It's a lot to go through and will post back with results. The reason I have D:\Music is because I had a tech put a small SSD drive, (240GB SSD), on my laptop for the O.S. And a large HDD, (2TB HDD), for music files, video, documents, etc.

There may have been but I deleted them in MC per a prior suggestion in this thread. I could download a few songs and see if those files end up there.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 03:10:55 am »

FWIW I see this all the time and I never use auto-import (it is also not set to watch any folders in my setup just to be certain).  MC regularly pulls  some, but not all, converted files into the library.  No idea why and never been able to stop it from happening.  I now set all my smartlists to ignore any tracks from the conversion cache and every now and then I will go and manually delete all the entries from my library...

The conversion cache mechanism has never worked perfectly - a related issue is that many tracks I'm converting during transfer NEVER appear in the cache - they just seem to vanish into thin air, which leads to a lot of reconversion next time I sync my handheld.

swiv3d

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 03:48:30 pm »

Thinking out of the box here, but is there a setting on the A&K which forces it to act as a fileserver to MC? Don.t know much about the A&K except that it does have a lot of capacilities in a network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up