INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View by the number of files in the stack  (Read 802 times)

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
View by the number of files in the stack
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:48:47 am »

I was hoping the community could help me with the following two questions relating to stacks:

1) I have a population of files in my library for which there should be exactly 7 files in each stack.  Where there is less (or more), I need to remedy.  Could someone please direct me to how I could set up a pane view where I could filter in the pane by how many files are in the stack?

I'll paste #2 separately.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: View by the number of files in the stack
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »

I've just deleted everything I typed :D

Have a read of this instead....
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105662.0

The view attached to the post is set up for use with images.
If you need help getting it re-worked for use with audio, just shout.

regards,
marko.

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 01:54:03 pm »

Thanks, Marko!  I'm going to try it now.  You helped me a ways back when stacked files mysteriously disappeared from my Library.  I still have this expression in a "Manage Missing Stack Items" view: "[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Stack Top]=-1 ~d=a ~sort=[Stack Top]"

Anyway, I'll follow the guidance in your post and will let you know.  Thanks again.

Eric

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 02:10:15 pm »

Thanks, again.  So, I've added the field (and see I actually had created a same named field previously, probably from last go-around).  I've downloaded the zip file with a jvi file.  How do I import/incorporate that jvi file into the solution?  Just not sure what next to do after having the field.  Thanks so much. :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 12:59:26 pm »

Apologies for the delay in replying here... Did you suss it out yet?

I'm willing to bet the answer is a "No"?
Here's a nine year old post with some info on "saved view" files that is still valid today...

I think it's too much faffing around to talk you through adding my saved view to your library (It would only be available to add on the root, or in an image library) then copy from there to your audio library, and then edit it appropriately.... so.... here's the stuff I typed earlier... It'll get you up and running, and if you need help tweaking it, just shout...

=======================================================================================
I've not figured out a way to filter by group count, I don't think it's possible. You can display them all though, and also group the list by stack. Here's how I did mine:

Make a new, calculated, library field.
You can call it anything you want... I called mine [Stack Locator]
Use the following expression in the "Expression" field:
if(isequal([stack top],-1),Not Stacked,[stack top])

Next, Set up a pane view keying off this new Stack Locator field like so...

Your first pane will be your stack locator, but, make this an expression based pane, using the following expression:
In "Expression to group by" enter [Stack Locator]

In "Expression to display" enter:
[stack locator, 1] if(isequal(groupcount(),7,2),/(groupcount() Files/),<font color="ff0000">/(groupcount() Files/))<//font>
Note that when you get to it, the "Stack Locator" value itself is totally meaningless to us. It's just a random number that MC uses to track the stack. The important stuff is in the group counts. If you use it as posted above, anything that is more or less than seven files will be listed in red, making them easier to spot.

Add any other panes you feel might be useful.
Next, go across to the center section of the view configuration tool and click on the "set rules for file display".
Click on the "Import/Export" button and paste the following in there:
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Stack Top]=-1 ~d=a ~sort=[Date]
Note that I do not use stacks in my audio library, but do make very heavy use of them in my photo library. If any of this does not transpose well from use with image to audio, it should only need little tweaks to get it right. Thinking you might want to tweak, or remove, the ~sort rule from the end...

Once back at the view configuration tool, the final requirement is to make sure "Use parent scheme rules..." is unticked.
I think that's all you need for it to work. Everything else is optional, once you're happy, OK your way out, and the final step is to set the list up...

From the view header menu, choose: "More (sort groups a-z) > Stack Locator"
The view should now be good to go.

Some very important notes regarding visibility and tagging
In normal use, only the 'top of stack' file is visible in the library when the stack is collapsed, and logically, tagging the visible 'top of stack' file propogates those tag changes throughout the stack, whereas, in an expanded stack, all files are visible, and tag changes are exclusive to the files selected.

With this view scheme setup, you can see all files in the stack, regardless of their expanded/collapsed state, and the above rules still apply.
This means that the state of the stack is meaningfull. As you can see, in my other post, where I have pictures, in thumbnail view, I have expression based thumbnail text that instantly feeds back the state of the stack, and which of the files in the stack group is the 'top' one.

I've been thinking about this...
As your use case here is audio, you're likely to be listed in details rather than thumbnails...

When you get there, and if you find that some feedback regarding the state of the stack would be useful, I'm pretty sure we could introduce some colour into the file list so that it would automatically change colour depending on the stack state. There is a "stack icon" column you can add to the details view, but I always found it too much work to decipher as the icons are just too small and demand too much attention... that could just be me and my old eyes though :).  See what you think once you start using it.

Regards,
marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »

Coming next build we'll have this:
NEW: Added the expression function StackCount() to return the number of files in a stack.

Hopefully that helps a little.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 10:25:57 am »

Interesting...

Thanks Matt.

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 05:55:29 pm »

Thank you both.  I will give Marko's approach a try this weekend.  Matt, how often do builds tend to be released?  Thank you for doing it.  I also like stacks getting more functionality, generally, so this is a good sign.  The Autostack functions are fantastic, and would love to see more.  Thanks again.

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up