INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Zone question  (Read 750 times)

LisaRCT

Multi-Zone question
« on: June 06, 2003, 06:44:41 am »

I just discovered how useful multiple play zones can be.
(MC9 has so many features & options I am still finding new things and new ways to use the old ones).

I have one question I couldn't answer through a search here or in the help files . . . .
Can I send the same playlist to different Zones in sync?

This may seem useless, but it does allow independent volume and DSP settings through my two soundcards to the individual zones, so if I change volume in one room it does not affect the others.

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re: Multi-Zone question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 09:20:11 am »

Lisa, the answer as I understand it is no. I think this is because the vagaries of different hardware etc would make it impossible for MC to guarantee perfectly sync'ed playback. Theres a few threads on this, and somewhere Matt explains in more detail.

Im no expert though - I dont use zones cos Ive only got one soundcard (I wish I wish I WISH...)

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 09:34:11 am »

You don't have to have multiple soundcards in order for zones to be useful. One of the great features of zones is that each one can have it's own parameters.

You can setup multiple zones using a single soundcard, each with it's own playback settings that are appropriate for different listening situations. Then it's easy to switch between them using the Zone Manager, rather than going into the playback settings fiddling with different settings. For example, I have one zone that is just normal gapless playback with Replay Gain enabled (for playing back whole albums or DJ mixes). I have another zone that is gapless with no Replay Gain (for certain albums that don't sound right with RG). I have another that is 2 second crossfade (for playing back random mixes of tracks), etc. I do have two soundcards, but I think I have about six zones setup for each of them.

Once you start playing around with zones, you'll probably come up with some ideas of how you can use them.

Rob

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 11:47:04 am »

Another black hole of endless possibilities for me to get lost in. LOL

A simple occurance started this . . . .
my g/f was going to sleep, she had the bedroom stereo playing and I had MC9 playing through my PC's sound system also.  When I boosted the volume she was awakened to the volume increase (and overdrive of the stereo).

Zones solve this problem, except if the door is left open, then we have the 'crosstalk' of the two different playlists.   ?

Oh well, guess I will simply have to re-program her to close the door when the music is on elsewhere in the house, although I have encountered syntax errors as well as major 'software conflicts' in that department at times  :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up