INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panel Next Track  (Read 588 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Panel Next Track
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:55:29 am »

Would it be possible to have Panel request the next track sooner?  I'm on a fairly slow wifi and when Panel comes to the next track on a record, there's a large pause while it caches enough of the next track to play it without buffering.  When I say slow wifi, I mean something like 500 kbps.  I see GetFile in the Network section of the console in my browser and it doesn't ask for the next file until the seek is at the end of the current one. 

Ideally it would do some form of pre-cacheing, like get the next 10 tracks, maybe that's already in the plans.  Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Panel Next Track
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:02:03 pm »

The server may be converting.  Check the settings in Panel.  If you're using it with the IdPi, conversion would be really slow.

What Wi-Fi is 500 kbps?

Are you playing from the same LAN?

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:09:35 pm »

I rolled my conversion back to medium to try to reduce the gap between songs, but it's still pretty evident.  A little NUC is serving it up, so conversion certainly isn't speedy, but I think in this case the wifi is the limiting factor.  If Panel was requesting a bit ahead that would help.

Different LAN - Wifi on a plane is pretty slow...

Is there a way to do this from within an MC client?  For a specific playback (album, playlist, etc), request a converted version, vs streaming FLAC?  I know I can change that on the server, but I wouldn't want to change it for all clients, or even this client later.  I looked around, but didn't see that as an option inside of MC so I went the Panel route.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:14:40 pm »

Ideally it would do some form of pre-cacheing, like get the next 10 tracks, maybe that's already in the plans.  Thanks!

Gizmo allows the user to specify the number of tracks to cache. Nice feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up