INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [24.0.41; Query] System Volume versus Internal Volume  (Read 875 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
[24.0.41; Query] System Volume versus Internal Volume
« on: July 29, 2018, 03:55:36 am »

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on audio/volume processing and what not so if this seems a very nooby question, I apologise.

I just want to know what the benefit of using the Internal Volume option is and what some of the sub-options do. For example, what should I enter in to the Internal volume reference level? Is the Loudness feature worth it? Can my audio set-up benefit from it in the first place?

My media server HTPC is in my bedroom and doubles as my office PC these days; therefore, I spend equal time sitting in front of it as I do sitting in the living room (I use my Xbox One as the main push client and play-back device there). When I do opt to go to the bedroom and listen to music or some such, I use a pair of Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2 SE's via Bluetooth connection. I am aware of the lossy nature of the standard but it nonetheless beats out my tinny monitor speakers. I currently have no plans to incorporate desktop speakers and tend to visit my bedroom at night anyway; however, the cans do have a standard 3.5mm port I could use instead if I so chose.

I followed the instructions here but the test didn't turn out as expected: Silence/hiss doesn't increase in volume when turning up the volume control on the BackBeat PRO 2 SE's; however, turning up the system volume to 100% afterwards makes it far too loud. Is internal volume supposed to work independent of system volume, or no?

RD James

Re: [24.0.41; Query] System Volume versus Internal Volume
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 04:46:36 am »

Internal volume means that it is being processed by Media Center's audio engine, rather than Windows' (system) volume control.
Windows' volume control should be set to 100% when using this option to prevent it being processed twice.

The reference level is for a calibrated setup where you configure the system to output 83 dB with the built-in audio test tones (-20 dBFS narrow-band pink noise) as measured on an SPL meter.
Whatever volume level you specify as reference level; e.g. "76" was required to measure 83 dB, will now be reported as 0 dB.
In a calibrated system like this, you must only use Media Center's volume control. If you change the volume outside of Media Center, the calibration is no longer valid and features like Loudness will not work correctly.

Goatshade

Re: [24.0.41; Query] System Volume versus Internal Volume
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 04:56:30 am »

Mm, okay.

I take it that the default reference of level of 50 is fine if you don't have an SPL meter with which to calibrate? Or is it better to just go back to System Volume at that point?
Pages: [1]   Go Up