INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide not loading properly (again)  (Read 3147 times)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Guide not loading properly (again)
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:44:17 am »

MC2XML's "-g" parameter is postal/zip code.  It is strange why it would be missing.

And now same issue. MC "tv logs" show that every morning the guide is loading, but it's not. Started to notice the past few days, the MC guide was not matching up with TitanTv, and I had to manually setup/change a few recordings. Then last night MC guide data ran out completely - nothing in the "to be recorded" and MC guide just said "no info available" for every channel.

So I went to Tools > Options > Tv > Load Guide > and watched it pull up mc2xml and seemed to finish but when I looked at the disk location of the xml file it was 10 days old!

Next, I deleted the xml and dat files and ran mc2xml manually (7 days worth). It ran fine and wrote new xml and dat files. Then I told MC to load the guide and it got the "-g" error, MC timed out and then that xml (7 days worth that I manually created), got imported into MC.

Woke up this morning and MC again said the guide refreshed at 3am, but no new guide data, no new xml file. So I tried telling MC to load guide and got the "-g" error again...

Ended up again having to delete the xml and dat files, running mc2xml manually (this time got 18 days worth), and letting MC fail and then import that.

Something is very wrong! Please help.

NOTE: For other reasons, I completely uninstalled MC (delete regristry) around Jun 26... so maybe I have something setup wrong?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Guide not loading properly (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:14:05 pm »

I thought you were using "mc2xml" mode in MC.  Have you been actually using the "XMLTV" option in MC?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 01:10:00 pm »

I am using, and have always used mc2xml. Unsure why would you think I was using xmltv?

EDIT: when I did that full MC uninstall - I accidentally setup MC for xmltv, got the guide data. But within a few minutes, I realized my mistake - deleted that profile and setup mc2xml... Could MC have something leftover from this?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:21:00 pm »

I am using, and have always used mc2xml. Unsure why would you think I was using xmltv?

The second screenshot you posted shows that you were trying to setup guide with XMLTV mode.  The setup window contains "Run this executable:", for which you entered "C:\MC2XML\mc2xml.exe", and "Pass these command line arguments to the executable:" "-d 432".  That is for XMLTV mode.  To set up using mc2xml mode, you do not need to enter those.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »

Sorry, I had those terms reversed.... Yes, I use XMLTV option in MC. When I did a full uninstall of MC on Jun 26, I accidentally setup MC using the (default) mc2xml option, downloaded the guide one time. Realized my mistake, deleted the mc2xml profile and created that XMLTV profile you see in my screen shot.

Could MC have some leftovers from that one time I accidentally used mc2xml?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »

Screen shot of only one profile in MC:

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 02:45:27 pm »

I also cannot seems to be able to EDIT the existing XMLTV profile, or DELETE it, or create a new (XMLTV) profile.

EDIT: I think I finally got it going. Had to go to Tools > Options > Television > then down at the bottom under TUNER PROFILES > deleted Open Cable. That removed the existing XMLTV profile, so I recreated it and it ran fine. Exited the setup and tried running it again, and it worked.

We shall see in a few days if it's getting more new data... Fingers crossed.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 03:11:34 pm »

Sorry, I had those terms reversed.... Yes, I use XMLTV option in MC. When I did a full uninstall of MC on Jun 26, I accidentally setup MC using the (default) mc2xml option, downloaded the guide one time. Realized my mistake, deleted the mc2xml profile and created that XMLTV profile you see in my screen shot.

Could MC have some leftovers from that one time I accidentally used mc2xml?

OK, that makes more sense.

Normally, I believe MC2XML program loads settings from its settings file (mc2xml.dat).  Therefore, it should have enough info unless that data file is corrupt.  You can try entering more command line parameters.  Here are the ones used inside MC (when running mc2xml mode):

-c us -g "<zipcode>" -o "C:\MC2XML\xmltv.xml" -D "C:\MC2XML\mc2cml.dat" -U

where -c is for country ("us"), -g is for postal code, -U instructs the program to output in Unicode.  You can also add -d 432 to that too.

Note that -o (output file location) and -D (settings file location) are optional.  So for a minimum set you should use:

-c us -g "your zipcode"  -U -d 432

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 03:19:33 pm »

I also cannot seems to be able to EDIT the existing XMLTV profile, or DELETE it, or create a new (XMLTV) profile.

EDIT: I think I finally got it going. Had to go to Tools > Options > Television > then down at the bottom under TUNER PROFILES > deleted Open Cable. That removed the existing XMLTV profile, so I recreated it and it ran fine. Exited the setup and tried running it again, and it worked.

We shall see in a few days if it's getting more new data... Fingers crossed.

As you discovered, you can not delete an EPG mode that is associated with a tuner profile.  You need to edit the tuner profile in order to do that.  You can however edit an EPG method.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 08:48:52 am »

As you discovered....

After deleting and re-creating the Tuner Profile + Guide Reloading method on July 11:
-The initial MC guide grab worked - a new xml file was written, MC loaded the new data.
-Just to confirm I manually ran MC guide grab - a new xml file was written, MC loaded the new data.

July 12 3am:
-MC guide grab worked - a new xml file was written, MC loaded the new data.

July 13 3am:
-MC guide grab worked - a new xml file was written, MC loaded the new data.

July 14 3am:
-MC guide grab FAILED - a new xml file was NOT written, but MC tv logs say guide was successful. Suspect is just re-loaded the July 13th xml data.

July 14 6am:
-tried to manually run MC guide grab - a new xml file is NOT written. The mc2xml command window pops up and immediately get the "missing -g error". Then goes to the next step of showing the channel list, then re-loads the data from the July 13th xml download.

Back to square one, where I have to delete the MC Tuner Profile + Guide Reloading method, etc....

Do you want the log? Do you need higher level log?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:50 am »

I guess for now, I have created a Windows Scheduled Task that runs mc2xml and creates xml file at 3:15am. I set MC to only load data from file at 3:30am (do not run executable).

Verified these manually a few times already. See how many days this works.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:50:08 am »

Yes, send me a log (no need for high verbosity).

When you created your new EPG loading method, did you explicitly use the "-g <postalcode>" option on the command line arguments?

What is the version of mc2xml that you are using (at C:\MC2XML\)?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:24 am »

Will send this morning's log when I get back to the house...

No, did not add any other switches except -d 432 yet.

Version 1.6 same version been using forever.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 05:42:11 pm »

The log does not reveal anything useful.  It says execution of external program was successful.

There is nothing that can be done in MC.  Either mc2xml downloads good data, or it does not.  Maybe it is just the server temporarily not working.  Since it is not MC that makes connection with the server, we can not tell. 

Since you saw this error about -g option, I would just try adding the -g command line and see if that helps.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 07:40:44 pm »

The log does not reveal anything useful.  It says execution of external program was successful.
So the log cannot tell you that on July 14th at 3am, MC loaded the exact same xml file that was loaded on July 13th at 3am? Exact same file date, file size, number of programs, etc.

There is nothing that can be done in MC.  Either mc2xml downloads good data, or it does not.  Maybe it is just the server temporarily not working.  Since it is not MC that makes connection with the server, we can not tell.

It's not the server. Seems to be something in the mc2xml.dat file. The "missing -g" comes before the download, right where the "Reading... : mc2xml.dat" line should be displayed. It stops right there and does not download any guide data at all.

Since you saw this error about -g option, I would just try adding the -g command line and see if that helps.
I really want to determine if mc2xml works outside of MC before I do that. For the next 5 days, I'm going to let Windows Task Scheduler do the mc2xml part, and check every morning if a new xml file gets written.

What I don't understand is why it worked (without the -g option) for so many months/years... Then I do a complete uninstall of MC (including registry), re-install MC and restore library backup plus do manual tv settings from scratch, and suddenly it stops working!?

And even more puzzling - Why did it work (without the -g switch) on the 11th, 12th, and 13th, then failed on the 14th?

I'm wondering if MC is somehow pointing to the wrong mc2xml.dat file on the 4th scheduled guide grab?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 09:19:21 pm »

So in summary:

You are using version 1.6 of mc2xml, so you are, and have always been, using the XMLTV method in MC, running mc2xml as an external program, and importing the resulting XMLTV file into MC. (I do the same, but with "EPG Collector" instead of mc2xml.)

If I was you, I would explicitly specify all the information that mc2xml needs since you are running it externally, as per Yaobing's post:
-c us -g "<zipcode>" -o "C:\MC2XML\xmltv.xml" -D "C:\MC2XML\mc2cml.dat" -U

As you are running a program external to MC, even though it is a version of mc2xml, you need to give it all information it needs. So add in the -g parameter. It also makes far more sense to explicitly point to the correct dat file, and the correct output location for the xml file. Just do it.

And even more puzzling - Why did it work (without the -g switch) on the 11th, 12th, and 13th, then failed on the 14th?
I guess for now, I have created a Windows Scheduled Task that runs mc2xml and creates xml file at 3:15am. I set MC to only load data from file at 3:30am (do not run executable).

How long does mc2xml take to run? You have it starting at 3:15 am, and then importing the resulting file at 3:30am, now that you are running using Task Scheduler. Are you sure that it always takes less than 15 minutes? My "EPG Collector" runs can take anywhere from 5 to 55 minutes, mostly depending on whether there have been many changes, but sometimes it just takes longer, usually once a week.

What do you think would happen if MC started importing the mc2xml.xml file before mc2xml finished running? I would think it would produce unexpected results. The xmltv.xml file is written as the last step in the mc2xml process, I believe, overwriting the previous version. It uses a temporary xml file until it is finished, and then does the overwrite. So if mc2xml is still being run when MC starts its import, MC would import the existing old xmltv.xml file.

What I don't understand is why it worked (without the -g option) for so many months/years... Then I do a complete uninstall of MC (including registry), re-install MC and restore library backup plus do manual tv settings from scratch, and suddenly it stops working!?

mc2xml is a "Black Box" piece of software, and while there is a bunch of information about how it works, not all is known. If it was working without the -g parameter explicitly being set before, it was getting it from somewhere. If you don't specify where to find the dat file, mc2xml just look in the same directory as the executable file, because that is where it is saved by default when it is created. That is why it works for many people. However, the dat file does seem to get corrupted at times, and if it is corrupted, mc2xml reports errors but may still look elsewhere. For example, in the registry. So when you did a complete uninstall of MC including the registry, a default -g parameter created by MC may have been deleted. You did a lot of setup when you first started using MC for TV. You could have easily tried the internal version of mc2xml (version 1.4), which could have written the parameter to the registry. Now that fallback parameter is gone, so mc2xml needs the parameter explicitly assigned.

MC runs an external program correctly every time for me. Using that method ensures that the mc2xml run finishes before the import process starts. Not specifying the -g parameter means that mc2xml must either be assuming a value, or getting it from the registry or elsewhere. When a new week of EPG data is added at the source, mc2xml may take some extra time to finish, breaking your current process. Or maybe when the -g parameter isn't specified, mc2xml does some additional checks every few days, delaying the process.

Put the mc2xml run back into MC, extend the "Timeout minutes" to 60, and explicitly specify all parameters that the external version of mc2xml you are using needs, into the command line parameters for mc2xml in MC. Check if that always works, then if you like, experiment with reducing that timeout to a shorter value.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 08:30:20 am »

-I have mc2mxl setup with Sched Dir.
-The entire download process takes less than 1 minute (58 seconds).
-The zip code has NEVER been needed because the first time mc2xml runs, it pops up the box to input your Provider. This is where you tick the Sched Dir box and put in user/password. Then the download proceeds. Then the provider/user/password info is written to mc2xml.dat
-After that first download run, the box to enter your provider/user/password does NOT pop up because it is being read from the previously saved mc2xml.dat
-This works 100% of the time (outside of MC) with only the -d parameter.
-Yet when I let MC call mc2xml, on the 4th night suddenly mc2xml needs the -g parameter. Why is it not read properly from mc2xml.dat, like it was the first three nights? Why can I repeat this exact behavior over and over? Why is the mc2xml.dat file getting corrupt on the 4th run, repeatedly?

When I did the MC uninstall/re-install, I did in fact accidentally choose the wrong guide load type - the default one where I enter my zip code. In fact my Country and Zip code is still showing in MC Tv Setup page!

First night using Windows Scheduled Task and MC only loading from file worked fine. Letting it run another four nights, then maybe I'll try putting back into MC's hands.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 08:47:53 am »

OK.  Whichever way you find working the best is the way you should go.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 07:20:08 pm »

As Yaobing says, do as you wish.

But there were reports of mc2xml both corrupting its dat file, and failing to find it in the default directory, back when we were going through all the setup learning curve. Hence my recommendation to explicitly point to it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 08:46:05 am »

Since July 15, been using Windows 10 Task to perform the xml data grab and letting MC only IMPORT that data. It's been working perfect until Aug 26, when for 4 days straight, MC "tv logs" no longer even lists the import action at 3:23am! Meanwhile no errors or delays with the Win10 Task grabbing the xml data.

Manually performed import in MC and it worked fine.
Restarted MC and it performed an import again at restart?
MC is now performing the imports again every morning, but who knows when it might stop again....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 12:06:30 pm »

Probably our server problem. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 03:21:18 pm »

I have not had a chance to read your logs yet, but I will.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 08:23:51 am »

It appears that EPG loading was skipped because a  tuner was actively being used, possibly by a client.  EPG will not load if a tuner is active.  This is historical, but still has some significance now.  I have been considering getting rid of this limitation, but have not made up my mind.  Perhaps it is time that I do it.  However, having a client constantly holding on to a tuner is not a good idea from any perspective.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 08:52:12 am »

The tuner was being held for 4 days? We did have some guests at our house Sat 25th, I guess one of them accessed live tv and could have just left it running... Ya, not being able to load the guide due to a tuner in use seems like a very strange thing indeed! I would like to see that go away for sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up