INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem Importing Multiple Versions  (Read 741 times)

Conrad

• Recent member
Problem Importing Multiple Versions
« on: August 05, 2018, 12:12:31 pm »

I'm having some issues importing content into my library.

I'm gradually in the process of upgrading some movies from blu-ray to UHD. I'm playing around with different formats to see which works best. I used to use MKVs exlusively but now there's menu support, I'm using either ISOs or native folder structure.

My issue centers around one movie, The Matrix. I have three copies : A blu-ray folder rip, an MKV made from that folder rip, and a UHD iso.

Ignoring any playback issues (encryption, performance, etc), I'm trying to get all three movies into my library.
I've configured auto-import to look for data (iso) files and I have other ISOs in my library, both blu-ray and UHD that work perfectly.
I have multiple copies of the other movies, but I don't ever have multiple copies where one is a blu-ray rip and one is a UHD ISO. I could manufacture that combination if it's relevant.

To try and reset things, I removed all copies of The Matrix from my library and re-scanned, but that didn't seem to help, the two blu-ray (folder, MKV) versions got imported, but the UHD ISO was skipped.

Dropping the UHD ISO onto JRiver causes it to mount and play. The file is called The Matrix.iso.
Coincidentally, it's failing to import American Made.iso, which is another UHD ISO, but it did import Predator.iso, also UHD.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong, or where I can look to see why the files are being skipped? Or anything I can inspect to check for differences?

Thanks

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Problem Importing Multiple Versions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 01:36:13 pm »

just a thought....in tools>options>library&folders..and then configure over on the bottom right is ignore files bla bla checked.....sometimes you need to have slightly different name even if the file extension is different....has the file actually been imported and it's just not where you expect it to be, this sometimes happens because of internal tags.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 03:10:10 pm »

Good spot!
So I went through the different sections/media types, and wouldn't you know, they're under documents.
I changed the media type to Video and the Sub Type to Movie and they're in the right place now and play perfectly.

This points to an issue with my import process, I'll investigate the options in the auto import settings.

Is there an easier way to change those values, like bring up the properties for a file, or does it have to be done through the details list of the media type? I couldn't drag and drop, for example. Also, is there a way to look through all your files across all media types, or is it only by type?

Thanks again.

~OHM~

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:04:34 am »

Your most welcome, glad you could follow my direction....

I use tabs in MC...I have 6 tabs in a row, cd count (a modified Audio view) recent albums, my favorite playlist, music video, Grammy albums of the year (another modified audio view)(I wish I could remember the guru who helped me make this view) and my newest one is of a playlist consisting of music videos...

so how I keep the music vid under control when adding new ones, once they are imported I use the view to tag them with media type, media sub type and grouping....I have these attributes along with a few others in a row. anything new sometimes shows up as unassigned and it's a quick fix to bring them to order...I hope you can follow my jargon  ;)

as you can see in the second screen shot I have a unassigned and it also tells me I have 2 sub types, the two sub types is because of the unassigned. a fast fix...  :)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

~OHM~

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:23:22 am »

Is there an easier way to change those values, like bring up the properties for a file, or does it have to be done through the details list of the media type? I couldn't drag and drop, for example.

once you have the attributes you need you can select 1 or 100+ highlight it  hit F2 and it opens so you can change it...it will remember your choice from then on out with just a few letters....sweet....MC is amaazzing

Also, is there a way to look through all your files across all media types, or is it only by type?

I need to ponder this one...lol

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 06:27:05 am »

Enter the file type in the search box in upper right.

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 06:32:08 am »

Thanks Jim

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:22 am »

There is a standard smartlist called All files (Empty Search) which will show all of the files in your library.

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:27:27 pm »

Thank you, everyone, for the tips.

I’m still getting used to views and file management, up until now I’ve only had a very simple library.

Good tip that I could have searched for *.iso. I assumed that was in the context of the current media type.

Not sure about the smart playlist yet, I’ll check those out.

Thanks again

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:00:59 am »

So I went through the different sections/media types, and wouldn't you know, they're under documents.
I changed the media type to Video and the Sub Type to Movie and they're in the right place now and play perfectly.

This happens to me occasionally too.  I'm not sure why.  I periodically import a few albums, movies, etc, and I always look to see what is there after, so I can make sure that I get everything I think I should have. 

Is there an easier way to change those values, like bring up the properties for a file, or does it have to be done through the details list of the media type?

The best way to change values like this is to open the tagging window.  Edit > Tag, or <alt><enter>  Then click the file you want to edit and change the tag values in the Tagging Action Window on the left.

Also, is there a way to look through all your files across all media types, or is it only by type?

If you want to see EVERYTHING, you need a new View in the Tree on the left side that does not filter by Media Type.  Right click on any category on the left, select Add Library View.  In the dialog that comes up, choose "empty" or something similar for the view type.  Then choose <root> for it's location.  Give it a name.

Once it's there, you can modify it's type to be anything you want.  A simple file list is probably best.  Or Panes or something like that if you want to narrow down your views by Media Type or something else.

This is important because a view under Video will only show you video (unless you modify it specifically not to).  Views under Audio will only show you audio, etc.  Having an "everything" view can be very helpful for circumstances like you are describing.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up