INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display Setting Changer : Possible to add Output Color Depth etc as an option?  (Read 1067 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

My JVC PJ / nvidia is driving me nuts as the selected 12-Bit Output Color Depth will sometimes not stick post a resolution change... and I need that for HDR with the JVC. 

MC's Display Setting Changer works great but would it be possible to expand it so you can also select a Output Colour Depth / Output Color Format / Output Dynamic Range for each of the frame rates?  Ideally I'd like to be able to specify:
- 23/24fps = UHD @ 23/24hz / 12 Bit / RGB
- 50/59/60fps = UHD @ 50/59/60hz / 8 Bit / RGB
- etc

...but then for my one and only 60fps UHD HDR (Billy Lynn), allow for the "Playback Info" field to override the global settings so I can have say 59.94 / 12 Bit / YUV .... actually I don't really care at this point about the 1 and Only 60fps UHD disc to date (and not that good) but it would round out the feature set.

My only other options are:
- Wait for madshi's HDR-->SDR project (could be awhile yet) and run everything in 8-Bit with madVR doing the HDR mapping
- Get all new HDMI 2.1 devices that has the bandwidth for 12bit UHD resolutions at all frame rates (not for ages and will be $$$$)
- Set my color format to YUV 4:2:2 for everything Nope, this does not work with Custom Resolutions, you only get RGB (and the custom res I use is to keep frame drop/repeat to 1 per 50min instead of one per 5 min)
....or keep resetting the nvidia control panel manually!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator

The Windows API to change display mode does not really offer all those options. It theoretically could support bitdepth if the driver actually lists possible display modes with higher bitdepth in that API, but I don't know if it does that. Would have to experiment to find out, I guess!

Personally I'm going for the HDMI 2.1 option, but I also didn't invest into UHD or HDR at all yet. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

- Wait for madshi's HDR-->SDR project (could be awhile yet) and run everything in 8-Bit with madVR doing the HDR mapping
I set my output to RGB and 12-bit. I use JRiver's Display Setting Changer and I think it stays in 12-bit. I sold my house and am in the process of building a house so my Nvidia/JVC RS620 combo hasn't been in operation for several months.

Under the Devices > Calibration tab in madVR, I say my display is calibrated to BT.2020 (which it is).

MadVR's HDR>SDR has been better than my JVC RS620's tone mapping for at least the past 6 months. No need to wait for completion of the project. I use HDR>SDR for all my UHD movies with the PJ in SDR mode with a BT.2020 color space.
I use Lightspace XPT to create a 3D LUT for Blu-ray content that works with my BT.2020 projector profile.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I find the JVR's HDR mapping really pleasing out of the box (running it in BT2020), so much so I've not (so far) calibrated it.   I have had a play with the madVR HDR --> SDR (including several of the test builds) but so far find the JVC's HDR mode better.  I normally get in a ISF Calibrator though I have purchased a meter, I just need to find the time and enthusiasm to do it and may find that HDR --> SDR is the way to go.

A more "basic" issue, is that HDMI 2.0 can not do 12-Bit RGB @ 50/60hz (only 8-Bit).... it just does not have the bandwidth required.  The JVC needs 12-Bit for HDR, hence the switching between 12-Bit @23/24 Hz, and 8-Bit @ 50/60hz ... but at some point nvidia seems to end up at 8-Bit @ 23/24hz instead of 12-Bit.  I was using YUV 4:2:2 @ 12-Bit for all display rates but the custom res (to improve frame drops/repeats @23fps) only lets you set RGB.  It's all a PITA hence my post on if some of this can be set.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

The Windows API to change display mode does not really offer all those options. It theoretically could support bitdepth if the driver actually lists possible display modes with higher bitdepth in that API, but I don't know if it does that. Would have to experiment to find out, I guess!
I've not found anything definitive or if this can be done at the Windows level or if it can be done via the nvidia/amd/intel api....

Personally I'm going for the HDMI 2.1 option, but I also didn't invest into UHD or HDR at all yet. :)
Arg!!!  that would cost me and another $$$$ next year!!!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up