INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to get 4K HDR content looking good using RO std?  (Read 1104 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Possible to get 4K HDR content looking good using RO std?
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:10:28 pm »

I build systems around the i7 7700K CPU without a discrete graphics card. It can play 4K content in RO standard, but HDR content looks badly washed out. There doesn't seem to be enough grunt for ROHQ to be reliable and smooth. ROHQ can convert HDR to SDR and do a great job, but that feature seems like it uses too much CPU power. I can get MPC-BE to play HDR without washing out the colours using EVR and LAV filters (DVXA Native), but sometimes there is too much of a red tint.

Is there any way that RO std could be modified to do a better job of playing HDR content (downconverted to SDR or not) on an HDR display with integrated graphics?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Possible to get 4K HDR content looking good using RO std?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:52 pm »

I too tried (and failed) to get UHD HDR working with ROHQ using the iGPU to a UHD display (see this review - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116703.0.html).  It was not the CPU that was holding it back but the GPU with the madVR Upload Queue being the issue (memory too slow?).  I could not find any combination of madVR Settings that would work without dropping frames on UHD HDR content (or UHD High Frame Rate either).

FYI - These NUCs will be used to feed a couple of older 1080p screens, and for that the iGPU it is fine.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:08:36 am »

I read that post immediately prior to posting mine. It served as inspiration to ask the question - can RO Std be modified somehow to make it look better with HDR content.
I also tried all sorts of MadVR combinations but frames get dropped. Do you know if MC's LAV uses DXVA2 Native? That was what gave the best results for frame rate in MPC-BE.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 02:53:34 am »

Sorry, I don't and I think it is different depending on the GPU as well as RO / ROHQ.  Hendrik of course will know...
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:05:07 am »

RO Std does not support HDR, sorry. I'm not sure if thats possible to even change, since we rely on a Microsoft-provided renderer there.

Another approach would be vastly tuning down ROHQ and see how far to the low end one can push that. I have long planned to offer multiple ROHQ presets, so a low-end preset just to get the additional features like HDR might be one of those things. There are also some things to do when the upload queue is the issue, some options that MC does not currently offer. Its something I plan to look into after my vacation, which basically starts now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 09:42:10 am »

Have a good vacation, Hendrik!

RD James

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 01:44:43 pm »

I too tried (and failed) to get UHD HDR working with ROHQ using the iGPU to a UHD display (see this review - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116703.0.html).  It was not the CPU that was holding it back but the GPU with the madVR Upload Queue being the issue (memory too slow?).  I could not find any combination of madVR Settings that would work without dropping frames on UHD HDR content (or UHD High Frame Rate either).

FYI - These NUCs will be used to feed a couple of older 1080p screens, and for that the iGPU it is fine.
I don't know if it's the hardware being too slow, or the performance issues that madVR suffers from on Windows 10 1803.
I currently have everything turned all the way down on my Ryzen 1700X / GTX 1070 system and DVD playback is just barely avoiding frame drops.
Pages: [1]   Go Up