INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Port  (Read 9804 times)

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Android Port
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 01:20:46 am »

While the TV is capable of playing 4K HDR video, and all older formats, I'm not sure an Android app running on it would have full access to play the original file formats. Something for somebody else to work out.  ;D

Android TV definitely can pass through native 4K HDR from all formats that I've tried, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, including ATMOS, TrueHD encoding. (tested using another app on my TV)

To get the full benefits of this if you're using external amplification, you'll obviously need to use external HDMI passthrough on a receiver via an external Android box like the shield.
MC server > ethernet > Android STB (like NVidia Shield) > HDMI > Receiver with Atmos/HDR support > HDMI > TV

The other option is to get core DD or compressed DD+ multi-channel via TV ARC. HDMI 2.0 ARC doesnt support TrueHD ATMOS or DTS-HDMA. (it will do compressed DD+ ATMOS though)
You need HDMI 2.1 with eARC to get enough bandwidth in the return channel. (or devices at both ends that support eARC feature on HDMI 2.0 chipset via a firmware update)
Like this:
MC Server - ethernet > Android TV (video playback and audio passthrough) > eARC HDMI > Receiver  (with HDMI 2.1 or eARC supported firmware on HDMI 2.0 devices)

Interestingly the new Sony A9F OLED and Z9F LCD both support eARC on HDMI 2.0 chipset. (the First new TV's to do so)

I have a Sony 65" A8F in the lounge but dont have a need for anything better than DD+ ATMOS in that room.

Having said all that, I'm most likely going to go the JVC X9900 4K projector for the theatre room upgrade though, with a Nvidia Shield front end on one input and HTPC input via a new receiver on another input. Best of both worlds.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2018, 03:42:01 am »

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2018, 09:03:59 am »

tjobbins: Your post summarises everything I would want from an Android port too, and it seems several others echo that - a way to use a cheaper, simpler, more reliable device for video playback than an HTPC.
The following snippets are especially congruent with exactly what I would wish for:

I would desperately love an Android port to run on one of my several Android TV boxes (ie basically like the Shield, but there are cheaper and more customisable options available.)

The key requirement for me, as others are saying, is a decent Theatre View interface.  Just Theatre View as it is now would be fine - and I'd think not too hard to bring over, as it works already on Linux and Android also supports OpenGL?

Another key requirement from my point of view is the ability to specify local decoding - again something that Panel doesn't currently do, I believe.  A key feature of Android TV boxes are that they can decode most file types (h264, h265, etc), often at up to 4K.   Having to have everything decoded on an MC server, as Panel does it now, is very undesirable for this use case.

In a nutshell, I'd love to run MC natively on Android boxes connected to a TV, and stop needing Kodi as a DLNA client - which is deficient in several ways - but in order to achieve that I would need:
* Local decode capable
* A decent "10 foot" UI with full metadata support and customisable views, eg as Theatre View is now.

I like the idea of making my MC server internet-accessible so I can access my entire library on the train, 4G permitting.
This last can already be done via JRemote, WebGizmo etc.; it just requires port forwarding on your router. I use this feature via JRemote almost daily.

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:15 am »

tjobbins: Your post summarises everything I would want from an Android port too, and it seems several others echo that - a way to use a cheaper, simpler, more reliable device for video playback than an HTPC.

Yeah I think this is a really exciting area for MC to move into.   This is my kitchen TV with its H96 Pro+ Android box:

The H96 is normally round the back of the TV, out of sight.  In fact I often stick such boxes to the back of the TV with velcro pads.  A standard HTPC simply couldn't fit in this setup, not to mention the cost and inconvenience of it.   There are mini x86 PCs that can run Windows and Linux, but their cost is comparatively high compared to Android devices, and they lack the plethora of great Android video/music streaming apps.  That huge app library makes Android a really good OS for this purpose.

I spent £15 on this basic 720p HDMI TV (used),  the H96 Pro+ was about £50 and the combo wireless trackpad/keyboard another £10.  For £75 I can watch YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, all UK catch up TV services, and most importantly access my entire MC library, all from a single device on a single input on any basic HDTV.  No need to spend big money on upgrading to a "smart" TV in every room - assuming you can even find a smart TV that supports all the apps you want, and allows sideloading.

Currently I can only access the MC library via DLNA in Kodi.  This is certainly better than nothing, and I am using it daily in several rooms.  But it has quite a few annoyances and drawbacks, especially when trying to cater for the non-technical users in the house.  The list doesn't automatically update to reflect MC server changes (the user must exit out and come back in); series/season cover art doesn't transfer; not all metadata transfers; sorting is purely alphabetical, meaning I need to configure DLNA to send episode names as [Episode #] [Name] and I can't do any other type of sorting (eg recently added); and I quite often have DLNA connection issues, making the library appear inaccessible.

So if we had an MC Android with Theatre View, this would solve everything for me and be the perfect solution.

This last can already be done via JRemote, WebGizmo etc.; it just requires port forwarding on your router. I use this feature via JRemote almost daily.

Yeah true, I should try that out properly.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 05:28:00 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2018, 11:21:50 pm »

If the port were Frankenstein, he just quivered.  Brad said that Panel is now loading from the Android version.  Maybe in a couple more days, he'll sit up.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2018, 11:40:43 pm »

I really hope that there will be an Android TV version for the Nvidia Shield. That system is capable of so much hardware-wise, but in my opinion it lacks an acceptable video playback solution. I know there are lots available, but none that will play back as well as MC does.

rec head

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2018, 08:32:05 am »

Agreed. I've been using MO4Media but a native MC could be really great.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 03:39:57 am »

The Android version now can import a local library and includes our web app, Panel.  It supports MCWS.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 03:42:23 am »

JRiver for Android

Price and release date:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118031.0.html

migrateddoor

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2018, 12:40:05 pm »

Is this going to be able to access the libraries of mc or is this a standalone app for Android?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2018, 03:23:33 pm »

Is this going to be able to access the libraries of mc or is this a standalone app for Android?
It will act a lot like JRiver Media Center, so it will be able to play local files or files from another machine, etc.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2018, 01:14:13 pm »

What's the plan for Bluetooth integration / functionality?

Fairly standard for players on smart phones to be able to automatically start playing when a bluetooth connection is re-established, e.g. such as what happens when a car is started and the head unit comes alive.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mb2k

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2018, 01:32:24 pm »

Any chance for screenshots?
I'm curious to see how / if this will look and work on an Nvidia Shield.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2018, 02:27:30 pm »

It will initially look exactly like Panel does now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2018, 08:54:30 am »

Two important breakthroughs for the Android version.

1.  It serves files so that a PC can play audio from a phone now.

2.  Panel works, so that it can control the Android version and play audio on the phone.

We may have an APK for the beta group to play with soon.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2018, 08:56:24 am »

What's the plan for Bluetooth integration / functionality?

Fairly standard for players on smart phones to be able to automatically start playing when a bluetooth connection is re-established, e.g. such as what happens when a car is started and the head unit comes alive.
I don't know yet, but since Panel is running in a browser, it may just work.  We'll know more in a few days.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2018, 05:58:26 am »

Closing this now.  Here's the other JRiver for Android thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118031.0.html

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2018, 06:00:52 am »

... we'll probably start by using Panel for the UI.  Android means lots of screen sizes and orientations, and Panel is already a responsive design that works with those.
We have this much working now.  MC's engine, controlled with Panel.  Please see the other thread for more information.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2018, 01:05:22 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2019, 08:55:09 am »

Android TV Coming Soon.  Thanks to Brad and Bob.

We now have it running on the NVIDIA Shield.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up