INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Stopped Working [Solved]  (Read 3468 times)

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA Stopped Working [Solved]
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:29:28 am »

I recently upgraded to MC 24. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit and MC 24.0.45 64 bit. I play audio to a Marantz NA7004 Network Player using the Audiophile 24 bit DAC DLNA server. This all works fine using MC 23 (which i still have installed). But MC 24 does nothing, the timing runs for 4 to 5 seconds then the song gets 'Stopped'. I have tried various settings including Ignore Transport Events and Disable SetNext Support. Nothing works. The file format doesn't matter; it fails with flac or mp3

I tried exporting the library including settings from MC 23 and importing those into MC 24 but that didn't work.

One really odd thing is that it did work initially (to be honest my memory of when it stopped working is a bit unclear) and the only thing I changed is I upgraded my AMD Radeon Video drivers.

What is happening here?

Mark

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: DLNA Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:23:50 am »

possibly a glitch with those new drivers...try updating them again then do a full reboot and see what happens....or roll back the drivers first and see if it works and if so don't update the drivers...good luck
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:20:07 pm »

It must be a problem with MC24 if MC23 works fine. Something in the DLNA has changed.

I will try the drivers but I shouldn't have to given the nature of the problem.

Mark

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »

Changing to MC24 can cause antivirus software/firewalls to prevent network activity. Might be worth checking that MC24 has the correct permissions in your AV/Firewall software.

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 02:41:05 pm »

I went through the Windows Defender Firewall settings in detail and found one item that was not ticked for MC24. It seems to now be working. Frustratingly simple.

Thanks to swiv3d for the idea.

Mark

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 04:15:42 pm »

Glad to help

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:56 pm »

I went through the Windows Defender Firewall settings in detail and found one item that was not ticked for MC24. It seems to now be working. Frustratingly simple.

Thanks to swiv3d for the idea.

Mark

I have the exact same problem with MC24 DLNA not working while MC23 works. I was going to post my problem. But I am going to check the freaking Firewall now. Why do they do this to us without telling us?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: DLNA Stopped Working [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 11:11:27 pm »

It's a windows thing, ask MS
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 02:01:42 am »

It's a windows thing, ask MS

Well, wadayano, does NOT work, for me. All MC related entries in Defender Firewall turned on.
My situation is two MC PCs in a LAN with DLNA enabled. One (server) play to the other (renderer). With MC23 this setup have been working like charm for a year. Upgraded to MC24 and DLNA stop (no configuration change) - both PCs simply do not see each other as DLNA device. I tried MC24-MC23, MC23-MC24, MC24-MC24 and all failed. Only MC23-MC23 works!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 03:04:31 am »

It's still probably the firewall.

swiv3d

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 06:20:51 pm »

Hi Felix2
Do you have any antivirus software running as this might also interfere with mc24's ability to use DLNA.

kaplantoday

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 06:25:36 pm »

I have McAfee and I thought that I opened a hole in its Firewall for JRiver MC.  Its interface is not completely clear to me that this effort was successful.  So at your suggestion I turned the firewall completely off.  That seems to have enabled JR MC to play through the Denon's DLNA.  Thank you.  I hope that I can find away just to keep port 52199 open through the McAfee but I'm not convinced that this will work.  I don't care about getting through from outside my home network.  Experimentation in this regard might take a long time.

swiv3d

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »

Hi kaplantoday
I didn't suggest turning off your firewall. I personally wouldn't be happy without one - you should find out what the correct settings are for MacAffee to allow MC access. Try Googling it.

kaplantoday

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »

I will get the firewall going again, although the McAfee firewall is, I believe, a second software firewall running on my machine.
Now that this is more-or-less solved, I have a new and somewhat unexpected issue.  When playing via DLNA to the Denon each track stops about 2 seconds before its actual end-point and MC moves to the next track, which also stops abruptly about 2 seconds prematurely.  This phenomenon dioes not occur when I use MC to play through to my native sound device, which in this case is my monitor.  I checked that actual files using Sound Forge 12.0 and the files do end smoothly.

swiv3d

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 07:09:27 pm »

I will get the firewall going again, although the McAfee firewall is, I believe, a second software firewall running on my machine.
Now that this is more-or-less solved, I have a new and somewhat unexpected issue.  When playing via DLNA to the Denon each track stops about 2 seconds before its actual end-point and MC moves to the next track, which also stops abruptly about 2 seconds prematurely.  This phenomenon dioes not occur when I use MC to play through to my native sound device, which in this case is my monitor.  I checked that actual files using Sound Forge 12.0 and the files do end smoothly.
Check if windows firewall is running and if it is make sure MC has the correct permissions, or it might be the antivirus software?

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 01:03:32 am »

It's still probably the firewall.

Good old JimH right again!
Thanks to all who suggested, I took a deep breath and checked the firewall from top to bottom. There is no anti-virus other than Windows. Every entry (on both PCs) firewall reviewed. There are 5 MC entries: a pair for MC23, MC24 for public/private network, an entry for MC 'Extra' whatever that is. All were turn on before. But I figured why not just turn off the firewall and see. Right away DLNA works for both MC23, MC24. So I turned on firewall again without change and both MC23, MC24 STILL WORK! But they didn't work before!

My conclusion: YOU MUST RESET THE FIREWALL AFTER MC24 INSTALLATION BY TURNING IT OFF THEN ON.

I think this strange problem appeared because I upgraded to MC24 soon after Windows 10 itself was updated with major changes. This is the update where Microsoft took out HomeGroup networking, which made all my Win10 PCs cannot share drive/folder anymore. No amount of work can fix it. This, along with breaking MC24 DLNA, is certainly the most stupid Windows update in a decade.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »

This is the update where Microsoft took out HomeGroup networking, which made all my Win10 PCs cannot share drive/folder anymore. No amount of work can fix it.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114852.0.html
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up