INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio JRiver Feedback  (Read 784 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Radio JRiver Feedback
« on: August 18, 2018, 06:42:44 am »

If you've tried Radio JRiver, please let us know what you think.  There are two different aspects.

1.  The actual music on the stations.  This will obviously change over time.  See below for more about this.

2.  The feature set.

There are some problems we need to work out.  For example, we want and appreciate user contributions, but we will need a way of vetting them, or a way for users to let the system know what they like and don't like.

Thanks for your thoughts.  And thanks for your great financial support!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Radio JRiver Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 06:45:32 am »

I wrote JohnT a few days ago with my own list:

I'd like to get the user uploads going for everyone as soon as possible.

We need to keep these separate and useable only by the user for now.

I think it would work to use the Doctor Who front end for this.  You could abandon any old Doctor Who data.

Require the Interact user name to be the same as the Doctor Who name.

I'd like to find a way to down-rate tracks to the point that they are dropped.  Something like the voting system we use for YADB.

It would also be nice to have a way for users to up-rate the playlists on Doctor Who so that we can consider them for Radio JRiver.

Up-rating playlists should also up-rate users.  Good user programmers can help build RJ.

Hilton

Re: Radio JRiver Feedback
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 11:43:09 pm »

Hi Jim

I spent an hour or so getting this configured for uploads with my beta account yesterday. (and subscribed for a year to support dev)
To be honest it was a little confusing for uploading - but I do understand now after playing with it.

As far as consuming content goes - Radio JRiver is very simple and it technically works well.  (which is obviously the first challenge with releasing a new service)

What I think can be improved is to start getting a lot more curation and various ways of looking through "whats playing now" "whats popular now" or even a look at what's available on the radio streams would be great. 
There's some good gems of music hidden in there, but I was surprised at how much of it I had to skip.  That's not very conducive to people sticking with it. (I know its only in beta and this would naturally improve as more content is contributed and more curation of playlists continues)

I think integrating a like or dislike feature linked to Doctor Who would be very welcome to start tailoring music a little more to personal taste.
Having said that, the option to have it play something completely new I might not have heard, but that still aligned to my taste, would be great when I'm feeling like exploring.  Sometimes you want the comforts of apple pie, sometimes you want something wild hot and spicy. :)

I guess what I'm saying here is it would be great for the radio to feel part of my own collection sometimes, and other times like i'm listening to a new best friends mix, who has similar tastes but different listening experiences, and other times, something completely left field for me that I might still enjoy.
There's just so much choice out there now and I really do appreciate a well curated playlist.  I hardly ever use any of the standard top 40 or top 100 mainstream lists on Spotify or Tidal and have to spend a couple of hours every few weeks to make a new playlist by hand. I know how much work goes into it!

I think moods are as important as genres, look at spotify for inspiration here.

I also love all of your other suggestions so far.

Pages: [1]   Go Up