INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Sync - Duplicate Files (.dup0)  (Read 1374 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Handheld Sync - Duplicate Files (.dup0)
« on: August 13, 2018, 12:37:21 pm »

I usually create mps3 files for download to my phone using file conversion. I then copy them to my phone and decline replacing files that already exist. This time, I decided to use the MC Handheld Sync option. It worked fine, except for some of the existing files, I ended up with duplicate files with a .dup0 at the end of them. They are new versions of files that were already there. Now, I am afraid to Sync again, for fear that I will get a large number of .dup0 files.  Why do they appear and what I do to make sure they do not happen again? I am using 64 bit MC 24.0.46 on Windows 7  and a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 8.0.0.

Any insight is appreciated.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Handheld Sync - Duplicate Files (.dup0)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:53:42 pm »

Also, a few of my tracks have "cache MP3.High" added to their track name. Any help with that.

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:29:35 pm »

No idea about the odd files but it might be worth going to audio files in standard view and see how many of the stacked files created by the handheld sync have escaped into your main library. Personally I won't touch handheld sync at the moment as it has caused me so many problems. I think you answered how to prevent it happening again in your original post (don't do it!). Interesting way to bump a post huh?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:15:39 am »

While Handheld Sync now works with the 64bit version of MC, during the development of that capability the core functionality wasn't improved or fixed. So it still has issues. It can get out of whack. It regularly seems to change the [Name] tag for files on the device to the same as the filename, rather than retaining the name as per the original files. That means on following syncs it deletes the old file version and resyncs the originals. Frustrating.

The duplicates seem to be a side effect of converting files, either using the converter or Handheld Sync. See Mark_h's post over here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116702.msg807182.html#msg807182

Have a read of some of the ideas I posted in that thread as well. The simple answer may be to disable the conversion cache. Maybe. Certainly make sure the Conversion Cache isn't in an area watched by Auto Import. But it seems MC may import cached files anyway, just as it import recorded TV shows without the directory that holds them being included in Auto Import.

I sync FLAC files and have the conversion cache set to "None", so don't see the duplicates. I've never seen Handheld Sync create Stacked files based on files in the Conversion Cache, even when I was converting.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:14 am »

Only a blind man could fail to notice the slew of stack icons that appeared when I did a test sync to a device to look for any duplicated files. More worrying is that fact that of 100 files converted, 6 converted files were pulled into the main library, from the cache folder which is not on the import list. On the plus side I didn't get any duplicated files ::)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 08:32:04 am »

I do not have auto import on.  The duplicate files are on the phone, not the PC.  From what I can tell .dup0 files are some artifact that sometimes show up on Android systems. They are somehow related to Samsung's Kies program. Not sure if MC is somehow using Kies or not. In any case, having duplicate files on the phone is not acceptable.

The files that have the Cache MP3.High seem to be some MC artifact.

I have turned off the conversion cache and will do some more experimenting. But the fact that I got the results I did with the standard settings is discouraging.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:23:03 am »

OK, with the conversion cache now turned off, when I select one album to sync, it tells me that to do the transfer will fill up my device, even though there is 90 GB free on the phone.  This is with conversion to MP3 set. No way that album takes 90 GB as mp3.

Unless someone has some foolproof solution, it is time to give up. Given other reports of problems with syncing, it is not worth my time to try to make this work. Too bad. Syncing to a phone was one of the early functions of players. Seems like it should just work.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 06:58:08 pm »

I agree that it should just work. Android did give JRiver some trouble, because different flavours of Android (Samsung vs Sony vs other) worked differently.

I have a Sony and I'm not seeing .dup0 files, but I may have seen them in the past. I don't recall everything I went through when testing the 64bit functionality.

I do think that Handheld Sync needs a bit more love to make it a reliable tool for moving music files to a phone, of any sort. That still seems to be a common requirement for users, and Apple seems to do it okay, but they have a constrained environment to work with. Android is pretty much still a "free-for-all" environment.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

swiv3d

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 07:07:48 pm »

I have always found that sync works best if you remove the sd card from the device and sync to it in a card reader. With a usb 3 card reader it's a lot quicker to!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 08:05:13 pm »

True, but I don't like to pull the SD card out of the phone regularly.

For now, I can get sync working to my Sony phone without too much trouble. It just sometimes gets out of whack and I need to refresh it by removing everything and reloading.

swiv3d

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:09:19 pm »

Sony works well with sync but other systems seem to cause problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up