INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stacking automation and stack top setting  (Read 473 times)

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
Stacking automation and stack top setting
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:52:53 am »

Another topic on stack, I was hoping the community could help me play around with:

2) When I use the amazingly helpful "Autostack files by Artist Album Track # Name" to autostack thousands of music files at a time, it will ask me the file type for the top of the stack.  Amazingly helpful.  Two of the 7 files are flac files, and one of them is what I want on top of the stack, so I select flac.  When I do this command, I right click on one of the flac files (out of the thousand I've selected) I want at the top.  Incredibly, it puts the correct 1 of 2 flac files successfully at the top for most of the thousand files I am running the command on.  However, it sometimes will put the flac file I do not want on top at the top.  So, I need to then use the more manual (still amazing) commands to remedy (e.g., one stack grouping at a time: "Set as stack top").  The formula for picking the desired 1 of 2 flac files to sit atop is that the one I want is under a particular folder in the file path.  I currently hover over the two flac files of the seven in an expanded stack until I see which of the two flacs is in the correct directory (i.e., the one in the directory where the files do not omit the cover art for home use versus the smaller file inside the stack that omits it for syncing to portables, is my use case). So, I can struggle through already with what I know, but with that as background, my question is: "Is there an even more automated way to specify when creating stacks using the "Autostack files by..." command to not only select the file type, but also which of two of the same file type you want to be atop all the stacks--in my case the choice by location of file, but I can envision other use cases (e.g., put the one with highest bit depth on top)."

I have a feeling the answer to #2 involves creation of smart lists, customized expressions for columns, and filtering what files show in a view.  But, any head start recommendations folks could help me think through would be appreciated.  Especially since this all has me thinking forward to how else to automate stack tops.  I'm going to import my huge photo library soon and can imagine I'd want to, say, put atop the stack a photo with the highest rating I've assigned (e.g., I painstakingly rate and stack, and then somehow automatically get the highest rated photo to the top).  Please share other useful "stack automation" ideas, if you got 'em, and got some time!   :)  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up