INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can JRiver MC24 Replace My A/V Pre/Pro?  (Read 2940 times)

evo-no-revo

• Recent member
Can JRiver MC24 Replace My A/V Pre/Pro?
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:09:41 pm »

I have had multiple high end pre/pros in my system over the years.  I have a well built, high horsepower HTPC.  I also have a Oppo 203 in the mix.

I am only going for 5.1 and 2 channel.  5.1 audio disc is what am speaking of.  I am way more of an audiophile than a videophile.  I don't really care about Atmos and all the other stuff.  I mainly play Blu Ray discs and ripped mkv files for video.  I also use ripped flac for most music....PCM and DSD.  I don't even own a 4k tv.

I just sold off my Lyngdorf MP-50 pre/pro last week.  I want to know if I use my HTPC with JR MC24 for all my 5.1 audio and video needs, do I still need a pre/pro for something.

I am thinking this setup:

HTPC (JRiver, Dirac Live)
ExaSound e38 8 channel USB DAC
Parasound P7 7.1 channel preamp
I have no game consoles or other stuff to consider being connected.

With this setup, would I have a need for a pre/pro for something i am not considering? 

We only have this one A/V system in the house so no multiple displays or network situation other than streaming music from the HTPC to ethernet connect renderer in my separate 2 channel system.

The basic question is can I completely replace my pre/pro with JRiver Media 24? 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can JRiver MC24 Replace My A/V Pre/Pro?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 06:22:56 pm »

Oh, this is going to elicit some discussion!

My answer would be yes, given your description.

I'm no audiophile, but all I use is my HTPC and a Receiver acting as a 5.1 or Stereo Amp, then analog out to the speakers. That is all I need. My Receiver is old, but has good built-in DACs. When I upgrade it I will be looking for the same feature in its replacement. Or maybe I could just use a DAC plus a Power Amp. Yet to investigate.

But then I don't do a lot of DSP other than Room Correction and a little bit of Parametric Equaliser to compensate for my hearing with dialogue in video. I have one main viewing area, plus a Client in my office and a couple of mobile devices.

From my understanding, lots of people use MC in the form;
HTPC > DAC > Amp or Receiver > Speakers

Less is more. More is less.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

evo-no-revo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:20:39 pm »

Thanks RoderickGI..

I am going to try and see how well it goes with no pre/pro. 

From further research it seems that not involving 4k and massive amounts of speakers, JRiver should have no issue.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:55:37 pm »

I am going to try and see how well it goes with no pre/pro. 
I am running it that way now but I am not happy without a physical volume control.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 10:05:21 pm »

I am running it that way now but I am not happy without a physical volume control.

I have and use the physical volume control on my Receiver still, and have my IR Remote control that rather than the MC Internal Volume. I still use Internal Volume in MC, but have it more or less set permanently to 80%.

Works well, as the physical control rotates when the remote changes volume, so I can see where I have it set from across the room.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 06:00:11 am »

As others have said, your setup will work just fine and you have no need for a prepro.

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:05:08 am »

exaSound DACs have physical volume controls.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:47:19 am »

If I understand correctly, you want MC to act as the processor for Dolby Digital and DTS for movies, apply Dirac and then pass that as a digital signal via usb to your 8 channel DAC. The analog output from your DAC then goes to your 8 channel preamp.   You say you are keeping your Parasound 7.1 preamp. So, what you are really removing is just the 8 channel processor - the Lyngdorf. 2 Channel follows the same signal path, with MC unpacking the flac but nothing more, other than Dirac.

If that is correct, volume control is not an issue since the Parasound does that.

So, is your question really just whether you can use MC as a processor for the movie codecs?

And, how do you get the video out of the PC while passing the audio through the usb?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:06:16 am »

I missed the fact the parasound preamp was still in there so when I said "you don't need a prepro", this includes the preamp. Why do you want to keep it?

And, how do you get the video out of the PC while passing the audio through the usb?
HDMI

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 10:18:20 am »

I missed the fact the parasound preamp was still in there so when I said "you don't need a prepro", this includes the preamp. Why do you want to keep it?
HDMI

Whether or not to use a preamp is a question with many answers and is endlessly debated. The three most comment reasons for using on are volume control, multiple inputs and DAC design.

The output stages of some DACs just do not match well with the input characteristics of some power amps.  If the DAC designer plans for it to be used as a preamp, then fine. If not, the DAC may not be a good match with a power amp.  In this case, it depends on the design of the ExaSound and of the power amp being used.

EDIT: The ExaSound DAC does have volume control. I would still test the sound with and without the Parasound preamp. It may or may not make a difference in the sound.

EDIT: With the Oppo 203, there needs to be somewhere for it plug into. The preamp is the obvious choice without a receiver in the mix.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 11:17:41 am »

I thought the oppo was going away ("use jriver for all my audio/video needs")? I assumed the choice of a fairly high end multichannel dac meant you would want to use that direct to the amps.

Certainly lots of options that will work anyway.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 11:36:45 am »

I made the conscious decision to go with the PC/JRiver/Dirac/Exasound E28, jettisoning my prepro, player and cable box about 4 years ago. It works well, looks and sounds great, better than before.  I listen primarily to music with it, mostly in 5.1/7.1 Mch.  I have no preamp.  The Exasound directly feeds my amps and sub using its volume control integrated with JRiver.

JRiver plus Dirac have all the setup controls needed for Mch speaker level, distance and bass management.

But, there are limitations.  Yes, you cannot feed a player, like an Oppo, into the PC.  I use the PC optical drives for CD, DVD and BD.  No problem. No sonic or visual penalties at all. However, most of my Mch music is on SACD, thousands of mostly classical albums.  But, I just rip those to my NAS using a networked Oppo 103 dedicated to that purpose.  So, a little less convenient to have to rip SACDs first, but no big deal.  I would rip them sooner or later anyway.

I also use a networked Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime Cablecard tuner for occasional TV watching.  It is more limited than a cable box - no on demand, no Netflix/Amazon streaming, etc.  But, I can put up with that, and even TV sounds much better via JRiver/Dirac/Exasound.

PC fan and disc noise can be an issue.  I was able to put mine in an adjoining utility room with 5 meter USB and HDMI cables run through the wall.  Again, no problem and nothing fancy.  There is silence in the listening room, my TV monitor is my Win desktop, and a $30 Logitech wireless trackpad keyboard controls it.  Optical drive access is still just steps away from my listening chair.  A cheap USB extender cable allows me to do Dirac mic calibrations.

I have no regrets at all.  There are fewer equipment pieces in the listening room.  And, I am free of the constant, useless features race obsolescence in prepros and players.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »

exaSound DACs have physical volume controls.
Sorta.  The up/down buttons are not ergonomic even though they work.  Getting up or reaching over requires more care for it to be conveniently useful.  There's also the ability to use an Apple remote.  Eh.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

DJLegba

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 07:04:09 pm »

Sorta.  The up/down buttons are not ergonomic even though they work.  Getting up or reaching over requires more care for it to be conveniently useful.  There's also the ability to use an Apple remote.  Eh.

I have a Meridian G02 preamp (with a volume control knob). I used it with the e22 for a while but eventually connected the e22 directly to the power amp and I prefer the sound without the preamp. So much so that I use it like this even though it means moving cables from the e22 to the G02 when I want to listen to vinyl. The Apple remote is OK - certainly much better than the enormous Meridian remote.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:44 pm »

I have a Meridian G02 preamp (with a volume control knob). I used it with the e22 for a while but eventually connected the e22 directly to the power amp and I prefer the sound without the preamp. So much so that I use it like this even though it means moving cables from the e22 to the G02 when I want to listen to vinyl. The Apple remote is OK - certainly much better than the enormous Meridian remote.
Lately, I have been running a trio of Benchmark DAC3s and using a single Benchmark remote to control input selection and volume.  I do worry about my aim in fear that not all three will get the message all the time.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 08:16:30 am »

I have a similar setup to what you are proposing:

JRiver (Windows 10)
exaSound e38
Marantz av7703 fed via analog input from exaSound
Two Conrad Johnson AMPs for 7 channels

I was thinking of just removing the Marantz; exaSound recommends going directly from the DAC into the AMP; They have a plugin for JRiver that controls the volume on the exaSound directly.

I did verify with Marantz that in "Pure Direct" mode, it is a complete analog path from the exaSound through to the AMPs and there is no additional AD conversion taking place.  I'm skeptical given other discussions, but I do know this: it sounds fantastic.

I don't use room correction or bass management; built the room and continue to tailor it for audio needs (buy the book "Get Better Sound" and drive yourself crazy).  For bass, I have a Rel Sub that is connected both to one of the analog outputs as well as the front L/R analog outputs on one of the AMPs.  This gives me wonderful bass with properly set crossover on the Rel for audio that does not include .1 LFE.

YMMV, but I will say this: the exaSound is wonderful.  Marked improvement to my ears bit streaming DSD to it without any PCM conversion taking place.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45:03 am »

Lately, I have been running a trio of Benchmark DAC3s and using a single Benchmark remote to control input selection and volume.  I do worry about my aim in fear that not all three will get the message all the time.

Separate remote/hub with individual IR blasters?  I had used a Logitech Harmony successfully that way.  It worked well, although I was not able to get it to reacquire my Exasound remote codes via "learning" after a reset for battery replacement in the remote.  Still up/down toggling for volume and not the rotary control you prefer, though.

So, I am back to the Exasound supplied Apple remote or JRemote for volume control.  The Logitech still provides on/off to my multiple amps in conjunction with 12V triggers, but not for the Exasound.  I just leave that on all the time.

adrixadrix

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 10:27:43 am »

Hi, everyone, I'm a happy user of JRiver in the form of "HTPC / DAC-Amp / Speakers" and it's the perfect setup for my needs in music and video. Also JRiver via WDM plays every other thing that runs in the PC (youtube, spotify, games, netflix, etc)

I have tons of audio discs in lots of formats (from mp3 to SACD) and many video files (from avi to bluray) and JRiver makes it so easy to navigate and play them all.

I see no reason for other equipment in this setup, besides the signal (bitperfect) goes directly to my loved Nuprime Ida-8 and nothing wrong can came out from that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up