INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add existing custom field to "Customize Display.."  (Read 1343 times)

Butters

• Recent member
Add existing custom field to "Customize Display.."
« on: September 14, 2018, 04:30:17 pm »

Greetings,

Windows 7
Media Center 24.0.45 (64-bit)

I would like to use the "Customize Display..." option, to replace the 5-star rating with a 10-star rating.

I already have a custom heading (or label, if that is what it is called), that has 10 stars, and I use it via the main song listings.
But I cannot figure out how to 1) remove the default 5-star rating, and 2) add my 10-star rating, within the "Customize Display..." section.

Two screenshots are attached.

Thank you.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Add existing custom field to "Customize Display.."
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 04:57:45 pm »

If you want the field to show as stars you'll need to use the new-ish function:   RatingStars10()

It takes an argument, which is the name of the field with your 10 star rating in it.  Something like this should work:

Code: [Select]
RatingStars10(Sound Quality)
Good luck.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 06:39:21 pm »

The majority of MC's functions are documented in the Expression Language reference:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language

However, the latest stuff doesn't always make it there in a timely way.  Honestly, I had forgotten about the RatingStars10() function altogether.  So I did a few searches and found a thread about it.  One that I had responded to! 

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98374.0

So I guess it's been 3 years since that function was added.  Unfortunately, there are definitely some functions and features that fall into this general category:  Stuff added at some point, without any official way of knowing.  I search the forum a good bit using Google to try to narrow down what I want, usually by using the "site:" tag and specifying "yabbi.jriver.com" so it only returns results from the forum.

There are numerous people on this forum that tend to know things like this because they see them as they come out and/or have used them personally. 

JRiver's version of "agile development" is an enormous strength in most measures.  However, it can be a bit of a weakness too in that they don't have anyone dedicated to updating documentation, so it can be hard to find things.

Brian.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:01:35 pm »

Thanks Brian.

Butters

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:08:07 pm »

The only suggestion that (sort of) worked was adding:
StarRatings10(sound quality)

It did show the 10-star rating.  But it was read-only.
So if I rated a song 6 stars, then it displayed 6 stars (and only 6 stars).  There was nothing to click on (up top) to change the rating.

I was hoping that the field would appear, for example, with 6 of the 10 stars tagged, and would allow me to set/change the rating, as it does on the song listing field.

You see, I am going through all of my content, and rating each song.  It would be much easier if I were able to change the rating up top.  It is less mouse dragging, and less prone to mistakenly clicking on a song directly above or below the intended target.

Alas, I suspect that having this "StarRatings10" field located at the top, and be writable, is not in the cards.  :-(
Not a big deal.

Thanks for your help.

By the way, the:
[Sound Quality]
suggestion was ignored by MC.

Also, can anyone tell me what the:
[Zone]
field does?

I see no difference in the display between when it is there and when I remove it (and I did not input that field -- it was there by default).

Thanks all!

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:33:12 am »

Your experience is the same as mine:  RatingStars10() is a read only display element when it's displayed.  That changeable 5 star rating area is "special" since it's not put there by an expression:  It's selected with an interface feature.  I.E. the authors of MC meant for it to be editable and made a special provision for that.  The programmers would have to do something similar for a 10 star field.

About [Zone]:  That should be showing you the name of your current output zone.  The default zone is named "Player", so you might see that text there in your display.  I'm not sure why it would not show up.  I would try putting some text before and after it just to be sure.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up