INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Run Media Server as a service in XP  (Read 1478 times)

laserheat

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Run Media Server as a service in XP
« on: June 02, 2003, 09:03:11 pm »

Hello all, I have been running media Center 90087 and have been using Fire Dameon to run Media Server as a service.  Well I decided it was time to update (90177), and now I can't seem to get the new Media Server to run under Fire Dameon.  It does auto discover the library but when it trys to load up, it errors and says it can not load.  I have entered the address manually also and get the same error.  If I actually log in and start media server manually, everything is fine.  Running same version on both machines.  Anyone had any luck with these new versions doing this?  Would be nice if this feature was built in --- hint hint

Thanks everyone for your help.
Eric

trussing

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Run Media Server as a service in XP
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:13:54 pm »

I've been running Media Server as a service under Win2K and WinXP since before Media Center 9 existed...  using AtYourService, a shareware utility from http://www.prismmicrosys.com/.  It's not free, not even cheap, but it works with the latest incarnation of MC9, and it's not limited to a single service.

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 07:43:23 am »

I've been running Media Server as a service under Win2K and WinXP since before Media Center 9 existed...

I'm curious ... what's the advantage of running the server as a service?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Marko

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 08:02:39 am »

I'm curious ... what's the advantage of running the server as a service?

In win2k/nt/xp, a service is running and operational even though there is nobody actually logged on (to windows). So, in the case of media server, if it were running as a service, and your comp reset itself in your abscence, you would still have the functionality of the media server from your remote location. It also means that the media server would be running regardless of which windows account was being used.

-marko.

laserheat

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 03:57:23 am »

Just an update:  Did a complete uninstall and then a fresh install of 90179 and it is working again.  Should have thought about doing that earlier.  Using FireDameon 1.6 pro

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up