INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newly imported movie not appearing in Standard View  (Read 1354 times)

lowtechlives

• Recent member
Newly imported movie not appearing in Standard View
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:04:51 pm »

I recently imported a new movie (I Can Only Imagine) into MC24 (latest 64-bit version on Windows 10 computer).  The cover art does not appear in Standard View, but yet it does in Theater View.  I have tried deleting the movie from MC and the jpeg/sidecar files from the movies' folder and re-importing with the same result.  There is an entry which looks correct in the Movies/Files list.  Any ideas on what I might try next?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newly imported movie not appearing in Standard View
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:12:52 pm »

Check the [Media Type]=Video and [Media Sub Type]=Movie

If they are good, search for "I Can Only Imagine" in the Standard View Movie View, and see if it is there.
If it is but there is no image, right-click on the movie and select "Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

lowtechlives

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:25:39 am »

Thank you for the reply.  The entry for the movie in Video/Files specifies [Media Type] = Video and [Media Sub-Type] = Movie.  Nothing is found when searching for "I Can Only Imagine" in the Standard Movie View.  Any further suggestions?  Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:58:21 pm »

Well, the movie must have imported correctly, if you see it in Theatre View and under the Files View in Standard View.

So try looking at the Movies View in Standard View, and search (search box, upper right corner) just for "Imagine" and see if you can find it. You may find that returns several movies, and none of them is called "I Can Only Imagine", but that can happen if the [Name] tag isn't correct.

If that search still doesn't find it, look up the file name and search for that. MC should find it.

If none of the above helps, go to the Files View and find the movie, right click on it and select the "Get Movie & TV Info" function. Use the dialogue, changing the search criteria to "I Can Only Imagine" if required, to get the correct Metadata for the movie, which should include the correct Cover Art. I just checked and found the movie using the  "Get Movie & TV Info" function easily. That should trigger the creation of a Thumbnail for use in Standard View. MC uses a smaller version of an image, a thumbnail, to show Cover Art in Standard View. That is probably all you have been missing.

If something is still going wrong, try;
If it is but there is no image, right-click on the movie and select "Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail".

as suggested above.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

lowtechlives

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 03:01:05 pm »

I have tried all of the suggestions and still the movie does not appear in Standard View.  Searching in Standard View for both "Imagine" and the file name returns no result.  In Movie/Files, I have always been able to successfully execute "Get Movie & TV Info."  Another curious thing is that in Image/Files in the main part of the screen where images are listed by date, the movie image appears, but if I do a Search, no result is returned for the movie for either "Imagine" or the file name.  I have also deleted the movie and associated files, ripped it again (MKV) and re-imported it with the same result.  This is an obfuscated movie, but it is not the first one to be imported.  None of the previous obfuscated movies exhibited this behavior.  Thank you again for your help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 07:11:22 pm »

Well, I don't know why you have obfuscated the file, or what you have done to achieve that. But I don't need to know.

But if you have ripped a DVD or Blu-ray to an mkv file, perhaps named something like "I Can Only Imagine (2018).mkv", and the [Media Type] = Video and [Media Sub-Type] = Movie, and the movie shows up correctly in Theatre View and you can play it from there, then the file should display in Standard View.

The only reason it would not display in Standard View is the settings in the View itself, either at the "Video" View Group level, or at the "Movies" View level. You could check both those View definitions using the right-click "Customise View" functionality.

The movie showing up in the Image View is strange. If you have given the movie a ".jpg" file extension for your own reasons, that still shouldn't happen, if the [Media Type] = Video. But you will probably break MC by doing that. I just renamed an "*.avi" movie file to "*.jpg" and while the movie showed up in the Movies View in Standard View correctly, it wouldn't play. That is because MC uses file extensions to decide how to play back files, as defined in "Options > File Types".

Basically, use MC the way it is intended and it will work correctly.

lowtechlives

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:21:45 pm »

Well, I can see that I need to be more clear in the information provided.
1.  I did not obfuscate the movie.  It was obfuscate on the BluRay disk and required some research to determine which file on the disk to rip.  That bit of information was provided in the event that it might trigger some thought as to the nature of the problem.  If it is of no value, fine.
2.  I do not try to "play games" in MC by renaming file extensions.  MC is a fine program that serves my need quite well and I use it in a manner that respects the effort to make it such.
3.  I have determined the cause of the problem.  Your mentioning of View settings reminded me of a change in the View Settings for Standard View.  In order to separate Music Videos from Movies, I added a rule that "Genre not be Music."  Because the tag for "I Can Only Imagine" included "Music" it precluded its display in Standard View.  By modifying the movies' tag to remove "Music" from its Genre, it now appears in Standard View.

Thank you again for your advise.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 06:19:22 pm »

Great that you found and fixed the problem.   :D

Did you know that MC now has a "Music Video" value available for the [Media Sub-Type] tag?

You may want to consider using that to differentiate between Music Videos and Movies, rather than a Genre of "Music". By setting the [Media Sub-Type] tag to "Music Video" you could easily define a view that only showed you music videos, and you could easily exclude music videos from the Movies View.  That would then allow you to have Movies with a Genre of "Music" without causing the problem you saw. It wouldn't be hard to do a bulk change of your music videos using the current view you have of them by the sound of it, and creating a specific "Music Video" View wouldn't be hard either.

Up to you though.  8)

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up