INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk Deletion of Duplicates  (Read 459 times)

kaplantoday

• Recent member
Bulk Deletion of Duplicates
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:41:54 pm »

I have imported around 25,000 audio files. I have a lot  of duplicates. Is there a method easily to locate tracks that are exactly the same (length, bitrate, album, etc.) and delete from the library?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Bulk Deletion of Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 02:18:01 pm »

There sure is -

1. create a new smartlist
2. under Rules, tell the smartlist what to show from your library (e.g. media type = audio)
3. under Modify Results, tell the smartlist to show "Only duplicates of" and then select the criteria that apply (as you suggested: length, bitrate, album... file length is a good one too)

also... BE CAREFUL... I've deleted some files that I thought were duplicates in the past...  backup often!

kaplantoday

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 03:24:17 pm »

That is very good news.  Now I have a "follow-up" question.  I've been surfing the various JR MC menus and have been unable to find the "smartlist creation" area, or for that matter, any list creation area.  I've been working with this software only for about 30 days and I'm still needing to learn things that are obvious to others.  If you can reply with the menu guidance for smartlist creation I would most appreciate it.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 03:31:55 pm »

In the left side tree view expand the playlist heading and you will see the smartlist heading click that and one of the buttons in the main view area will be add smartlist. There is a smartlist called audio tasks - possible duplicates which can be edited to find duplicated files but it needs the criteria honing to be more precise than it currently is. Backup your library before each multiple deletion you do!

kaplantoday

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 08:04:45 am »

Thanks much.  I never would have found it without your guidance.---
Pages: [1]   Go Up