INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using my main library on another computer without network connection  (Read 622 times)

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck

I now have added a second computer which has all my music loaded on it. This (machine #2) is only going to be used in an outbuilding workshop that is at a different location on my property and doesn't have a network connection to the main computer (or internet). Not going to be editing any tags on this #2 machine. What I would like is to be able to have all my playlists, rating etc that I work on with my main house (#1) computer available with the other machine simply by updating #2 library with the latest #1 library file backup. These are both win10, both running MC v24 with the exact same music files.

Part of my problem is the concept of what exactly a library is. I get confused when trying to use the library tools as in one instance it seems to be everything, thousands of music files, as well as playlists, ratings and other user defined tags etc, and at other times it is just the one rather small file with all the user defined tagging on it. It is this one file I want to simply copy over to my other machine and have it recognize the same music that is located on the remote drive.

If I can't do this I am going to have to have a trench dug with a Cat6 underground cable ran out there so any help you can give would be like gold to me! Thanks! :D

swiv3d

Re: Using my main library on another computer without network connection
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:00:32 pm »

The library is a database holding all the information about your media files, playlists and the like. Your Media files are the physical files on your computers discs. To use a library backup as you wish to do you would have to ensure that the media files have the same filepaths on the two computers - your library has a record of the filepath of every media file if on one computer you have C://Music/etc and on the other it is C://Music Files then the library won't work. You should ensure that all of your music files have their cover art embedded in the files or else copy the cover art folder from computer#1 to computer#2. Hope this helps - probably easier than digging a trench for a cat6 cable!

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 03:46:31 pm »

Thanks swiv3d. The file path is where I am getting hung up on. Inside my home I keep my music files on a NAS drive and push those to a RPi3 running MC v22 from my Win 10 desktop. Getting the laptop to run files from its own drive with the metadata intact has been the issue, different filepaths is likely the cause messing things up buty I don't know how to change that due to the filepath with the NAS drive will always be different. I thought I had found a solution in loading the main (house) library from my desktop via DLNA (At least I think that is how it was doing it) I seemed to be able to access the library file from the desktop out in the shop with my laptop disconnected from the router. When I tried to repeat this the next time it didn't work so I must have been mistaken.

I may be able to get a wireless booster, enough to stream music from my NAS drive out there to the laptop in the shop much like I do to the RPi now, but don't know if wireless will have the speed necessary to do this, especially with some of the 24/96 files I have.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 04:39:53 pm »

Since your music is stored on the NAS, you definitely need some type of network connection out there: wired, wireless, or power line adaptor.

Power line adaptors are hit or miss and you must be on the same "side" of your local transformer, some surge protectors defeat them, etc. Ethernet cable is limited to 100 meters (less in the real world). There are ethernet "extenders" using POE but that drives up the cost and complexity.

Wireless from a decent router/repeater works for a pretty good distance with direct line of sight and no obstructions. I have an older ASUS N router set up as a repeater here on occasion and it does 150' into the back yard very well. I recommend getting one with external antennas, do your research, or borrow one for a test. Even a $30 unit should do the trick unless obstructions/line of sight is an issue. You may be able to daisy chain them if needed.  A good wireless N or better connection should work with most if not all of your music, barring DSD, multi-channel high res, etc., IMO, if you are playing them lossless (unconverted).

Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 04:50:26 pm »

You can use the wifi extender depending on the distances involved, or you can use the File Rename, Move, Copy tool (F6) in update database to point to a new location mode, using  find and replace to change the directory path on your laptop.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 04:57:48 pm »

Looks like having a wireless or powerline adaptor is the solution to the problem at hand, but still will be left without an updated library file when I travel away from home with the laptop. I was really hoping for a way to somehow use my home library while on the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up