INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New networking issues  (Read 1489 times)

Rustyprelude

• Recent member
New networking issues
« on: October 15, 2018, 11:13:56 am »

I had two networking issues pop up last week that I'm unfamiliar with.  In the middle of a song, I got the error "Something went wrong with playback." None of my other songs worked after that.  When I try to reload my library, the screen turns black and I get the error, "There was a problem loading the library."  The odd thing about this error is that it usually tries 9 times to connect, but now it stops after one try. I have uninstalled/ reinstalled Media Center to no avail. The second issue is now I can't get webgizmo to work, either. I enter my key and both Firefox and IE both say "Unable to Connect" or "This page can't be displayed".  All of this is at work.

My home set up is IdPi w/USB HDD wired to switch then wired to router. I usually access this at work with MC 23.  I use port 33333.  The netstat command says this port is listening.  I'm not sure what's going on.

I can connect with Gizmo on my phone just fine.  I can connect with MC23 at home just fine.

Any thoughts as to what's going on?

Thanks,
Aaron

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New networking issues
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 02:28:56 pm »

Check the IP address of the IdPi to make sure it hasn't changed. If the IP address changed, the port forwarding rule set up could be forwarding to the wrong device.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 05:05:02 pm »

You mentioned the issue is at work, are you using a work PC with a managed image? May have been a firewall or Windows security update?

Rustyprelude

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 11:54:35 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I will check the IP address to see if it's changed.  I set it up as static, so it shouldn't have, but perhaps the switch is messing with that somehow.

Yes, the issues I'm having are at work, but I've made sure that Media Center 23 and MC23 are allowed through the firewall.  As far as a Windows update, it's possible.  I don't know how I would know. 

Is there an error log that MC creates that would help with troubleshooting?

Rustyprelude

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:23:23 am »

Check the IP address of the IdPi to make sure it hasn't changed. If the IP address changed, the port forwarding rule set up could be forwarding to the wrong device.

I changed the IdPi IP address and updated my port forwarding rules. Webgizmo still works correctly, but MC23 at work still does not.  When I attempt to add my IdPi library, it shows the updated IP address but it still gives me the message 'Error Loading Library.'

I suppose I will try changing ports on the IdPi as a next step.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:24:47 am »

It's also possible your workplace has switched to blocking unknown outgoing ports or to using a transparent proxy server in which case usually only the browsing ports 80 and 443 are allowed through.
You may have to configure your home router to incoming port 80 or 443 to the Id. You SHOULD be able to use the default 52199 on the Id and forward port 80 or 443 on the router to it.
The downside of this is you won't able to use the access code to connect to your home Id because it will use the port it thinks is in use, 52199. In this case you will have to connect via IP:Port on your work machine.

Rustyprelude

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:26:53 pm »

Hey Bob,

I tried just changing the port to one I really thought was open, but it didn't work.  Will now try your suggestion.  Just to clarify I have this correct according to my router settings:

For Port Forwarding, the internal port should be 52199 and the external port should be either 80 or 443.  And to connect to the Id at work, I will use my internal IP address:external port.  Do I have that correct?

Thanks,
Aaron

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 12:12:39 am »

External IP Address:External Port

Then Port Forward to your Internal IP Address:Internal Port

I wouldn't actually like to use either ports 80 or 443, as they are known ports and likely to be port scanned from the internet regularly. As they are port forwarded to your MC Server, that may not be an issue, but remember that MC does run a web server component in Panel and WebGizmo. I don't know if this is really a security issue, but it would make me a little nervous.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 07:39:01 am »

External IP Address:External Port

Then Port Forward to your Internal IP Address:Internal Port

I wouldn't actually like to use either ports 80 or 443, as they are known ports and likely to be port scanned from the internet regularly. As they are port forwarded to your MC Server, that may not be an issue, but remember that MC does run a web server component in Panel and WebGizmo. I don't know if this is really a security issue, but it would make me a little nervous.
It may be his only option for open ports.
It's usually possible to limit the incoming address range that's acceptable for the forward to his work address.
If not, if he does use 80 or 443 I'd suggest using SSL in MC and putting strong login and passwords in the Media Network Authentication.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 06:15:37 pm »

It may be his only option for open ports.
It's usually possible to limit the incoming address range that's acceptable for the forward to his work address.
If not, if he does use 80 or 443 I'd suggest using SSL in MC and putting strong login and passwords in the Media Network Authentication.

Yes, I understand. I would try to get IT to open 52199 though, since it is an obscure port and carries little risk.

But if one of those ports has to be used, allowing only a limited IP Address range and using strong credentials with SSL would make me more comfortable, if I had to use those ports. Good call.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up