INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have to use custom settings to playback 4K hevc video files  (Read 632 times)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Have to use custom settings to playback 4K hevc video files
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:12:23 am »

I recently treated myself to a new 4K OLED TV and I just tried to play some 4K HDR demo files which are 10bit hevc.
I could play the 24fps files OK but when I tried the 60fps files they stuttered really badly.
I checked the GPU and CPU usage and noticed that my CPU was maxing out at 100% while the GPU was less than 40%, AHA I thought - HW decoding is not working right.
Sure enough when I registered LAV filters and then used the custom settings if I select either DXVA2 (native) or D3D11 in LAV video decoder then the CPU usage dropped to below 30% and all the files play back flawlessly - and look absolutely stunning!

I assume that LAV video decoder is defaulting to DXVA2 copy back and this for some reason is not HW decoding hevc on my gpu.

The gpu is a MSI GTX1060 Aero ITX.

Just FYI and in case anyone else sees this issue.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Have to use custom settings to playback 4K hevc video files
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:07:28 am »

I'm working on some changes to let you switch between copy-back or native  from within MC without having to register the filters. Unfortunately native/D3D11 have some disadvantages, which is why we're not using it by default.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 04:29:34 am »

Unfortunately native/D3D11 have some disadvantages, which is why we're not using it by default.

OK, thanks for that feedback Hendrik, I will create a separate zone for hevc files which will use custom settings and I'll use regular ROHQ for all other files.

EDIT: It is actually easier to create a condition in the custom settings that only invokes LAV D3D11 when the codec is hevc.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

alb

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:47:12 am »

terrym@tassie, would you mind sharing the condition expression to perform what you're trying to accomplish?  I have been experiencing similar issues from time to time - would be very nice if I could be rid of the problem once and for all.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 08:04:32 am »

terrym@tassie, would you mind sharing the condition expression to perform what you're trying to accomplish?

The attached screenshot shows the custom video rule and the setting for LAV decoder. This only uses the D3D11 HW decoder when the codec is hevc.

It assumes you have already registered LAVVideo.ax using regsrv32 or installed the LAVfilters package.
Pages: [1]   Go Up