INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC24 asking for admin password on every boot (MC23 did not.)  (Read 2126 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC24 asking for admin password on every boot (MC23 did not.)
« on: September 06, 2018, 11:02:59 pm »

I just upgraded my Windows 10 system to MC24 and discovered that MC now asks for admin rights every time I reboot the machine.  This was not necessary on this same system with the previous installation of MC23.  I do have media server starting on bootup, which is why MC is starting when I boot, but I had this set up the same way with version 23, and it never asked for the admin password.

I used to run all my systems under administrator accounts, but for security reasons the common approach changed over the past few years.  Based on many strong recommendations, I switched to using "user" accounts a year or two ago, and entering the admin password when asked.  I only "sign in" as an admin when it's absolutely necessary, but this has actually become relatively rare these days.

Given that MC23 worked without needing to give the admin password on every boot, is there any way to get MC24 to work this was as well?

Thanks,

Larry

RD James

Re: MC24 asking for admin password on every boot (MC23 did not.)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:28:05 am »

If you view details on the UAC prompt it should give you some information on what the program is trying to do.
Posting that here would be helpful in figuring out what is causing it.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:33:11 am »

I'll check as soon as I can, but in the mean time, are you saying that it should not be doing this?  It seems like this is the default situation with MC24 given that it started as soon as I installed it.

Thanks,

L

RD James

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:17:36 am »

I only get a UAC prompt when updating, not when starting Media Center.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 03:30:47 am »

This is just pure guesswork but:
MC will only ask for Admin Rights when altering something in the O/S, which it does on install or upgrade.
So you will be prompted when first running MC24.
It is possible to run MC23 and MC24 side by side but when you switch between each version MC has to alter some setting in the O/S so will prompt on the first run after you switch versions.
It could be possible that previously having MC23 set to run Server on boot it still has that set in the O/S boot options despite you installing MC24. So that every time you boot the O/S runs MC23 server causing a prompt to allow the O/S to make changes then again when you run MC24, repeating this process every time you boot.
If this is what is happening you should run MC23 disable the option to run server on boot, then run MC24 and enable the Server option again. Now when you reboot it should not prompt you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 05:41:05 am »

I'll check as soon as I can, but in the mean time, are you saying that it should not be doing this?  It seems like this is the default situation with MC24 given that it started as soon as I installed it.
No, it should not be doing that.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 05:55:53 am »

Thanks for all the feedback here.

That was a good tip to check the UAC details -- I did so and discovered that it referred to MC23, NOT MC24.  In other words, even though this started with the MC24 install, it's MC23 that's suddenly asking for the admin password on bootup.

My inclination was to solve this by just uninstalling MC23, but when I went to do this, one of the questions the uninstall routine asked was if I wanted to remove "All Media Center registry entries."  Given that it said "Media Center" and not "Media Center 23," my concern is that this could potentially mess up not the current MC24 installation and maybe even the uninstall process for MC24 as well (which may be needed if things get really screwed up.)  On the other hand, NOT removing all the "MC23" registry entries might lead to complications as well.

I therefore waited to uninstall MC23 until I can get confirmation on the best way to proceed.  Can someone solidly confirm whether or not I can just uninstall MC23 without it having any effect the parallel MC24 installation?  If not, what would the best approach be?  I just want to avoid ending up in an install/uninstall hairball.

Thanks again for the help here,

Larry

UPDATE:  After searching the forums a bit, I found a post saying that you could safely uninstall MC23 INCLUDING "all registry entries" without it effecting MC24.  If this is not correct, please let me know -- I'll wait until tomorrow to actually go through with it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 05:58:08 am »

Uninstalling MC23 won't affect MC24.  Back up your MC24 library first.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:02:07 am »

Uninstalling MC23 won't affect MC24.  Back up your MC24 library first.

Hey Jim,

Wow!  That was a fast reply.  I just updated my last post to say that I found an older post saying what you just said here, but right after my update I saw that you already answered.

Thanks so much for the confirmation.

Yes -- I already made a library backup.

Thanks again for the impressively rapid response,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »

Okay -- this issue is not necessarily quite over yet.

I uninstalled MC23 (went fine), but when I logged off and then on again I once again got the admin password request popup, only THIS time it referred to MC24 rather than MC23 (weird.) 

The specific info from the popup said:

"C:\Program Files(x86)\J River\Media Center 24\PackageInstaller.exe" /RegControls Media Center 24

Same as before, only MC24 instead of MC23.  To troubleshoot, I turned off the option to have Media Server run at startup and logged off and on again.  This time I did not get the popup.  I then turned Media Server auto-start feature back on and logged off and on again.  Once again, I did NOT get the popup.  I shut the system down completely and restarted, and still did not get the popup.

It appears that the popup has stopped (thankfully), but I still wanted to report this since it seems like odd behavior.  I have no idea what specific action stopped the popup.  Was it simply re-logging onto windows a second time (i.e. did the popup indicate that the MC24 installation had to "finish" after uninstalling MC23), or was it toggling the Media Server auto-start off and back on again that caused something to finish properly setting up?  I'm curious to hear any theories since I can't help wondering if the install didn't fully work correctly (due to the "PackageInstaller.exe" reference.)  Either way, I wanted to let the developers know about this just in case it may help.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Larry

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 08:06:43 pm »

I uninstalled MC23 (went fine), but when I logged off and then on again I once again got the admin password request popup, only THIS time it referred to MC24 rather than MC23 (weird.) 

That is normal. It won't happen again, at least not until you install MC25 but leave MC24 Media Server starting up with Windows.

The popup will always happen when you change major versions of MC that you run. You saw it one last time because you had run MC23 and uninstalled it, and then run MC24.

Thecrow had the correct answer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:50:07 am »

Thanks.

Yes -- it looks like thecrow had it essentially correct.  The only thing that was different was that I had already disabled the MC23 Media Server, yet I continued to get the popup on every restart.  Even with the MC23 Media Server auto-start disabled, something about the MC23 installation was still stepping in and causing the repeating popup.

After fully uninstalling MC23 and either restarting MC24 or disabling/enabling Media Server in MC24, the popup finally stopped.

Thanks again for all the feedback everybody,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up