INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver and QNAP  (Read 2175 times)

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver and QNAP
« on: September 11, 2018, 07:14:41 am »

I’ve recently purchased a QNAP NAS (TS-453B), and have moved most of my music files to it. I’m still new to all a NAS can do.  I currently access those files through a Windows laptop with JRiver (and Roon) installed. I understand:

1. QNAP dropped support for JMC in HD Station, and thus JRiver support is limited.
2. There is a manual way to install JMC on the QNAP, so I’m considering trying that.
3. Roon can be installed on HD Station.  I’m considering trying that, but thinking through how often I’ll wish the single Roon install was on my laptop instead of the NAS.  I know I can probably deregister/register Roon, as needed even if not ideal.
4. JRiver license is not limited to one install, so superior in that way to Roon.

Anyone going/gone through similar decisions and have anything more recent to report or recommend?  How are folks liking JRiver on their QNAP where it’s been manually installed?  As compared to or in tandem with Roon’s HDStation functionality?  Any effort by users to press QNAP to restore direct JRiver app install that I could add my voice to?

Most of the posts in the forum are over a year old and initial setup focused, so just wanting to see if folks are happy with the manual install of JRiver on the NAS?  Thanks!

Eric

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: JRiver and QNAP
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:20:18 am »

I have several Qnap Nas's. I gave up long ago using MC on it. I now control MC via several computers. tablets and smartphones with JRemote or Panel. The Qnap is nothing more than a storage and backup device. Good Luck with Qnap. MC is by far the most powerful and complete Media Center, the sound is incredible.

I use my Qnap (NAS) probally an odd way. but over the years I have found it's best for me!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver and QNAP
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:55:35 am »

I have several Qnap Nas's. I gave up long ago using MC on it. I now control MC via several computers. tablets and smartphones with JRemote or Panel. The Qnap is nothing more than a storage and backup devices. Good Luck with Qnap. MC is by far the most powerful and complete Media Center, the sound is incredible.
Agreed.  If you want to take full advantage of what JRiver can do, run it on a real computer and use the NAS for what it was intended:  file storage and file access.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up