INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain  (Read 1236 times)

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
Replay Gain
« on: June 02, 2003, 06:38:32 pm »

I am using MP3Gain to normalize (or whatever you call it :) ) my mp3s and I have some small questions.

When you use MC to do the audio analysis (which keep stopping after every 50 odd songs), you can see the reply gain tag value which states what is the db and intensity and bpm but when I uses MP3Gain to do it, am I actually changing the file physically or am I also just adding a tag to it? And if I uses MP3Gain to do the normlization, do I still need to on the Replay Gain dsp inside MC ?

thanks.
Don't Panic!

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replay Gain
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 11:34:54 pm »

Yes, MP3gain physically changes the file. The newest alpha version has a feature that saves "undo" info to a tag to make reverting your files back to their original state easier. If you choose to turn this feature off, or are using an older version, and do not save a copy of the changelog, you will not be able to undo the changes. The benefit of the files being physically altered is that MP3gain works with any software/hardware player. Also note that the "undo" info is saved in an APE2 tag rather than an ID3v2 tag. Since APE tags are not normally used with MP3s, some players might choke on them.

If you MP3gain your files, there is no reason to use MCs internal Replay Gain analyzation.

Rob

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 01:41:15 am »

thanx man. :)
Don't Panic!

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 06:18:32 am »

Added benefit:  if you use a portable player you have balanced gain even though you don't have MC9's 'ReplayGain' function.
BTW, I believe what MP3Gain does is not the same as normalizing . . . it seems to be less degrading to the audio quality than normalizing.  I think the difference is that MP3Gain merely reduces the overall gain where as normalizing may use some form of compression? Anybody know for sure?

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 06:52:23 am »

From the help file of replaygain that i read, that's what i would assume too. still trying to find out whether there's a loss in quality for now but i doubt it. but hey, i am not an audiophile.
Don't Panic!

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 07:17:32 am »

That's what counts . . .  what your ears can hear.
One way to tell for sure . .  a side by side analysis
Pages: [1]   Go Up