INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: safely remove hardware  (Read 838 times)

Butters

• Recent member
safely remove hardware
« on: September 14, 2018, 03:28:05 pm »

Greetings,

Windows 7
Media Center 24.0.45 (64-bit)

When I do a library restore (File -> Library -> Restore Library...), and choose only the "Restore library and playlists" option, and the source of the restoration .zip file resides on a USB flash drive, the restore works perfectly.

However, when I then ask Windows to eject the USB drive, via the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" feature, it warns me that the device is in use.
It turns out that the device (the USB drive) is in use by Media Center.

Only after I close Media Center will Windows release/eject the drive.

Is it necessary for Media Center to retain an "in use" relationship with the drive, after the library restore is completed?

Please note that this is not a big deal to work around.  It is just that I do frequent restores, because I own two licences, and I routinely update fields on only computer #1, backup that library, and restore it on computer #2 (resulting in maintaining both computers with identical playlists, tags, etc).

Thank you.

swiv3d

Re: safely remove hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:34:25 pm »

Have you tried the eject drive function from within MC > Drives & Devices? Why two licences - a licence is good for about ten computers?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:49:08 pm »

or before you restore, copy the file off the flash to your hd...
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Butters

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 07:08:35 pm »

or before you restore, copy the file off the flash to your hd...

Yes, that work-around is simple enough.

However, I am a believer in correcting issues, rather than working around issues -- for two reasons:

1)
Media Center is holding on to a file, unnecessarily so.  This indicates that something is wrong.  How wrong?  Perhaps it does not go beyond releasing the file.  Or perhaps the restore is incomplete, in some way, resulting in it not releasing the file?

2)
Even simple work-arounds eventually become a nuisance.  If no one ever fixes the low hanging fruit, eventually you end up spending more than a few seconds each day ducking, side-stepping, skipping and jumping over, around, and under countless work-arounds.

If it involves a rewrite of their library tool, well, then I would understand them leaving it as is.  On the other hand, if it involves adding a single line of code to their next release, then that is what they should do -- and I suspect that they can spot the issue in a few seconds.

Media Center developers should take a look to see if a simple fix can be applied.

Butters

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 07:10:10 pm »

Have you tried the eject drive function from within MC > Drives & Devices? Why two licences - a licence is good for about ten computers?

Crap.  I did not realize that I needn't purchase a second license.  :-(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 07:44:03 pm »

1)
Media Center is holding on to a file, unnecessarily so.  This indicates that someone is wrong.  How wrong?  Perhaps it does not go beyond releasing the file.  Or perhaps the restore is incomplete, in some way, resulting in it not releasing the file?

MC holds on to files longer than it should in many situations. It is causing me issues with TV recordings at the moment. The issue is certainly on JRiver's radar, and some work has been done to fix it for recordings. But the underlying problem seems to be fundamental to the program, so it may not be as easy to fix as one line of code.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to keep reporting such issues. Eventually, the cause may be found and fixed.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Butters

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 03:11:57 am »

MC holds on to files longer than it should in many situations. It is causing me issues with TV recordings at the moment. The issue is certainly on JRiver's radar, and some work has been done to fix it for recordings. But the underlying problem seems to be fundamental to the program, so it may not be as easy to fix as one line of code.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to keep reporting such issues. Eventually, the cause may be found and fixed.

Good to know that this is on someone's to-do list.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up