INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unreliable tagging with transcoding music files to external devices.  (Read 568 times)

kwm1800

• Recent member

Well, tried to transfer some music files from my main library to my smartphones.

Of course, typical FLAC files with huge artwork were not going to work well, thus I set up to transcode them into normal mp3 files with 800x800 jpg album artwork.

And the program, for some reason, could not cope with transcoding. When I first checked files on my phone, I thought I broke the phone's flash memory or something.

Checking "JRiver Conversion Cache" folder, and I found about 1/3 of files are missing tags randomly; they either have fully tagged or not tagged at all. And for those which got tag, the album artwork conversion did not happen; they all have same big gigantic original sized album arts instead of decreased 800x800 size.

...not sure what's going on really.

swiv3d

Re: Very unreliable tagging with transcoding music files to external devices.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 04:27:50 pm »

I would love to know how you set up the conversion to change the embedded image size?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:24 pm »

still waiting on this also....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

kwm1800

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:34:55 am »

Sorry for the late response. Just came at home. Here is how I set up the transcoding.

This is what I set for my Sansa Clip. Once again unreliable tagging (some resulted files are missing tags, while all others have original album art attached instead of 400x400 jpg format) happens when I transcode for Sansa as well as my smartphone.

I mean, thing is album art issue and tagging issue are... really separated issue. I suspect JRiver conversion does not like files with big album art. Most of my files have 10~15mb png album arts embedded.

kwm1800

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 02:06:08 am »

So well.... I finally realized this "Image" is not related to album art size. Dear lord. :o

.....I looked through options, and it seems JRiver actually does not have option to modify embedded album arts such as size reduction and format change (png to jpg, for instance)

If JRiver indeed does not have it, can we have this option for upcoming version or something?

Also, I am certain JRiver really does not like music files with large album arts, and pretty much transcoding (not just for devices) via JRiver is quite unreliable, but this needs to be tested a bit more. Tomorrow night I may be able to do it.

swiv3d

Re: Unreliable tagging with transcoding music files to external devices.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:18 am »

I have never had a problem with file conversion losing tags - except when those tags weren't embedded in the file to start with - mmmm I wonder? Why are you using the ogg vorbis encoder - why not use the best quality mp3 encoder? Embedding huge album art isn't a good idea if you are sending files to devices with limited storage.

kwm1800

• Recent member
Re: Unreliable tagging with transcoding music files to external devices.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:57:50 pm »

Yes, I used LAME mp3 encoder for my smartphone transfer, same symptom.

Edit : Nevermind, I used LAME mp3 encoder for my Sansa and used ogg vorbis encoder for my smartphone, but this really does not change situation much.

Embedding huge album art isn't a good idea indeed, thus why I tried to re-size them into small enough (400x400 jpg), but it seems that's not possible with JRiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up