INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How access library from another user account?  (Read 791 times)

Mike48

• World Citizen
How access library from another user account?
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:54:16 pm »

I have MC24 set up under my account on my Windows 10 laptop. I set up a limited account for an event where others will be using the computer. How can I have JRiver use my library (by which I mean music files, catalog database, and settings) from the original account?

Thanks!

Mike48

• World Citizen
Re: How access library from another user account?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 10:31:32 pm »

Happy to say, I backed up the library and imported it from the other account, and it seems to be working fine.  So that makes the limited account suitable for this purpose.

I guess each copy of the library will have to be updated individually with any new files, but that minor.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How access library from another user account? (solved)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 11:41:33 pm »

You can just move the location of the default library to an area which isn't User specific, i.e. not under the C:\Users\[User ID]\ directory structure, and then both User Accounts on the PC can use the same library. Not backing up on one and restoring on another, or duplicate maintenance on each. You could use the Library Clone function to clone you existing library to the location you want. See the Wiki Library Management page.

I assume that your media files are already in a non-user specific area, so the library can see them regardless of which User ID is logged in.

The only potential issue I know of is that the settings for MC are stored in the registry for each user... I think. They may be set globally. You could check that after setting up the library as above, then changing a settign under your Admin account login, logging off and logging in as the restricted user, and see if the change is there.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

Re: How access library from another user account? (solved)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:06:07 am »

You should also be aware of MC's "Party Mode".  View > Party Mode

This puts MC into a sort of "read only" kind of mode.  No files can be edited.  No playlists can be altered.  Even Playing Now is temporary.  Once you exit Party Mode, you'll get back your original Playing Now and everything will be exactly as you left it.  I'm pretty sure you also can't change any settings in Party Mode.

This makes Party Mode much more safe for events where the public might interact with MC and potentially break it in some way.

Brian.

Mike48

• World Citizen
Re: How access library from another user account? PART II
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 01:02:05 am »

Thanks for both responders for the tips.

I copied the library over to a neutral location, then made a new library pointing to that location.

But now I can't delete the original library. Whatever I do, the program won't let me delete the first library in its library list.

What the heck is going on?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 01:53:28 am »

The original library is probably the MC Default Library. You can't delete the Default Library. You can Clear the Default Library though, which would make it small and therefore not use much drive space. You can also rename it to something thta makes sense, like "Never use this library!"

Search the forum for recent discussion on "Default Library".

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117486.0.html
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117287.msg811333.html#msg811333

Are good.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 02:33:17 am »

Thanks!

Renamed it to "Dummy Library".

A pity one can't change the location of the default library.

Pages: [1]   Go Up