INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qobuz and JRiver  (Read 10076 times)

apeschi

• Recent member
Qobuz and JRiver
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:59:44 am »

I have:
1) PC Intel with Windows 10 64 Bit Latest version (fix patches).
2) JRiver Media Center 24 for Windows
3) Qobuz Account (CD version) + Qobuz application installed on PC Windows.
4) JRemote (latest version) on IPAD.

I have installed JRiver media Center 24 on Windows PC connected with DAC X-Sabre (USB PC exit) to my Home Hifi. I setup JRiver to use DAC X-Sabre output (with drivers supplied from Sabre).

I use JRemote on Ipad as Remote Control

I need to centralize the Qobuz control on Ipad, using JRemote. I don't want to start Qobuz managing and control it using PC (mouse or keyboard for example). I'd like to control Qobuz directly from my Ipad and to connect Qobuz with JRiver.

Is there a plugin or Remote Control feature that can I use for this scope?

My requirements are: I'm sitting on my sofa, with Ipad and JRemote and I can listen my liquid files from JRiver using JRemote and switch to Qobuz directly from JRemote to listen Qobuz (from JRiver) and to turn on my liquid files and so on, avoiding each time to change interface, stop JRiver, start Video PC Monitor, switch to Mouse and to KeyBoard, or in alternative, stop JRiver and listen Qobuz from internal appliance of my Video Home Hifi Yamaha Aventage (that has a native Qobuz appliance).

Is possible? I need only a full integration from JRiver, JRemote and Qobuz to command on my Ipad.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Qobuz and JRiver
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 01:18:31 am »

I have:
1) PC Intel with Windows 10 64 Bit Latest version (fix patches).
2) JRiver Media Center 24 for Windows
3) Qobuz Account (CD version) + Qobuz application installed on PC Windows.
4) JRemote (latest version) on IPAD.

I have installed JRiver media Center 24 on Windows PC connected with DAC X-Sabre (USB PC exit) to my Home Hifi. I setup JRiver to use DAC X-Sabre output (with drivers supplied from Sabre).

I use JRemote on Ipad as Remote Control

I need to centralize the Qobuz control on Ipad, using JRemote. I don't want to start Qobuz managing and control it using PC (mouse or keyboard for example). I'd like to control Qobuz directly from my Ipad and to connect Qobuz with JRiver.

Is there a plugin or Remote Control feature that can I use for this scope?

My requirements are: I'm sitting on my sofa, with Ipad and JRemote and I can listen my liquid files from JRiver using JRemote and switch to Qobuz directly from JRemote to listen Qobuz (from JRiver) and to turn on my liquid files and so on, avoiding each time to change interface, stop JRiver, start Video PC Monitor, switch to Mouse and to KeyBoard, or in alternative, stop JRiver and listen Qobuz from internal appliance of my Video Home Hifi Yamaha Aventage (that has a native Qobuz appliance).

Is possible? I need only a full integration from JRiver, JRemote and Qobuz to command on my Ipad.

Alas, JRiver have said in the past they have no interest in doing this. One of their reasons is they are not sufficiently convinced of the long term viability of Qobuz to invest in the work. You can try pointing Qobuz at the WDM driver, which might save you closing MC when you use Qobuz, and you could try using something like RD client as a remote on your iPad, though that is a pretty grim experience. Or you could use Audirvana+ which does integrate your own music with Qobuz, and has an iPad remote control, but it is nowhere near as powerful as MC. Or hang on for roon who are dropping hints that they will soon have Qobuz integration. I have an old Squeezebox Touch which gives me Qobuz and remote control from my iPad using iPeng; not an ideal solution because I have to switch inputs on my preamp, but tolerable if I am too lazy to get up. But mostly I just get up and move the two yards to my hi-fi laptop to use Qobuz. It’s a small price to pay for such a fantastic selection of high quality music. And many times I find myself using Qobuz to play an album that I also own, so sadly I am using MC less. Qobuz say they are launching in the US before Christmas; maybe this will change J Rivers attitude. Let’s hope. They could do such a good job.

apeschi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 04:27:50 pm »

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

The way to use Ipad to control qobuz, in my actual hifi system, is to use directly the qobuz appliance yet included into my Yamaha Aventage A2060 home teather amplifier and the Yamaha app on Ipad to have the full control of Aventage ampli.
The output for front channel is connected in any case (like Dac from Computer) to Stereo Roksan Kandy K2 BT integrate amplifier and to the same front speakers (Davis Vinci 3D).

The only difference si that using Computer (and JRiver) I can use as DAC my Matrix X-Sabre DAC and entering directly from DAC to Roksan, using instead directly qobuz imbedded into Yamaha Aventage A2060, I can use only the DAC included into AV ampli Yamaha and use Preamplification from Yamaha and power from Roksan power stage.
(Sabre chipsets in both cases).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 06:34:47 pm »

If you use MC's WDM Driver, everything played on the computer can use MC as if it were a sound card driver.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

apeschi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:21 am »

Yes, I know and I have checked it and works, but in this case I have to use mouse and keyboard to pilot computer (or remote desktop virtualization on Ipad using app on Ipad to control computer by remote, but I don't like this kind of app).

Yes, of course, the bypass I use in this case, is to start my TV, to switch on PC video output, to command all I need and I want directly on Computer using keyboard and mouse wireless, but in my mind, this is only a bypass.

Of course, my question is not really about a serious functionality problem, but to understand a best way to integrate all I need on JRiver that I like a lot.

I have not found a simple app on Ipad (like JRemote for example) to select sound on Qobuz (from artist, album, composer, and so on) and to play it in simple way from Ipad (using PC, JRiver MC, my external DAC .....).

What I need is "next step", I mean, after I have configured WDM drivers and routed all I want to MC, I'd like to control the input music and to chose the input music directly from MC and not outside.

I tried with JRiver (and WDM drivers) but at maximum (if I remember well because I tested it some month ago) I can start and stop music, but don't navigate into qobuz albums using JRemote (from PC desktop all works of course).

Thanks again.

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 02:45:54 am »

These options may not suit you because they mean discarding your JRemote app but if you have not tried them already, perhaps they are worth taking a look at:

1. The MConnect HD app on IOS.  It is a player with UPnP/DLNA support and Qobuz integration.  You could select/play music on your MC library and on Qobuz through MC to your DAC .  I think the UI is flawed but it does work pretty well.

2. Install the free BubbleUPnP Server on your PC to set up MC as an OpenHome renderer on your network.  The free Lumin app on IOS can then be used to play your MC library or Qobuz through the MC OpenHome renderer to your DAC so you can control all music selection and play via your IOS device.  (If you have an Android device, an alternative app would be the BubbleUPnP app).

I have been using the OpenHome set up since I signed up to Qobuz a couple of years back and it is a solid solution - I use a MacMini to Mytek Manhattan DAC but BubbleUPnP Server works on Windows too.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 04:11:55 am »

These options may not suit you because they mean discarding your JRemote app but if you have not tried them already, perhaps they are worth taking a look at:

1. The MConnect HD app on IOS.  It is a player with UPnP/DLNA support and Qobuz integration.  You could select/play music on your MC library and on Qobuz through MC to your DAC .  I think the UI is flawed but it does work pretty well.

2. Install the free BubbleUPnP Server on your PC to set up MC as an OpenHome renderer on your network.  The free Lumin app on IOS can then be used to play your MC library or Qobuz through the MC OpenHome renderer to your DAC so you can control all music selection and play via your IOS device.  (If you have an Android device, an alternative app would be the BubbleUPnP app).

I have been using the OpenHome set up since I signed up to Qobuz a couple of years back and it is a solid solution - I use a MacMini to Mytek Manhattan DAC but BubbleUPnP Server works on Windows too.

Thanks churchmouse, just what I’ve been looking for. Will give both options a go.  Is gapless playback an issue with either of them?

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 04:28:34 am »

@AndyU

My limited testing with MConnect did give me gapless playback problems.  It may be those are resolvable, but I simply went back to the OpenHome solution where gapless works for me.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 07:23:24 am »

@AndyU

My limited testing with MConnect did give me gapless playback problems.  It may be those are resolvable, but I simply went back to the OpenHome solution where gapless works for me.

Cheers churchmouse, openhome it is. But I will still nurture my hope of JRiver doing it all properly!

apeschi

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 02:25:39 pm »

I checked this suggestion. It works ! Now I can start Qobuz installed on windows PC (and control it chosing music to play) on my Ipad, and I can play music through JRiver MC, plaing musing with my DAC connected with USB on my PC.

Great !

Thanks a lot !!!

apeschi

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 07:19:04 am »

@AndyU

I have not understood which kind of gapless playback you have. I installed the full version of MConnect HD (paying 6.xx Euro). In the setup of the app, I can activate the gapless for app and for player and seems that I have not gapless problems. (But I'm not sure to have correctly understood what is the problem). With off the gapless control, I have a blank between tracks, with on gapless control I have no blank.

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 03:42:08 am »

@apeschi

I am glad MConnect works for you.  On IOS I had issues getting it to consistently see MC as an available renderer and keep the connection alive - perhaps that also affected any effort to play gapless albums without a break in between tracks.  On Android, MConnect had no such connection issues in seeing and staying linked with MC but the gapless option was not present in my Android app version.

The good news for MC users is that there are ways to stream Qobuz in CD quality and above through MC.

I am happy using the BubbleUPNP Server alternative.

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 05:20:51 am »

I see that this week's update of the Android version of MConnect HD says it has added gapless support.  I may give it another try out.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 07:23:28 am »

churchmouse, thank you so much for the bubbleupnp/Lumin/Kazoo solution. The great advantage of this for me is that I do not lose my carefully constructed JRiver views. One thing though. The Qobuz app (windows and ios) gives me the option of sorting my Qobuz favourites by either name, date added or artist whereas Lumin and Kazoo (and iPeng fwiw) only show Qobuz favourites by date added. Any way you know of changing the sort order of Qobuz favourites in Lumin or Kazoo?

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 12:12:16 pm »

@AndyU

I am not much of a playlist user but I agree that playlist sorting can be limited.  The best Qobuz/OpenHome app for sorting options on playlists that I have used is the BubbleUPnP app (Sort by default, year asc/desc, artist, title) - however, that is Android only.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 01:30:02 pm »

@AndyU

I am not much of a playlist user but I agree that playlist sorting can be limited.  The best Qobuz/OpenHome app for sorting options on playlists that I have used is the BubbleUPnP app (Sort by default, year asc/desc, artist, title) - however, that is Android only.

Thanks, but alas for me I am in hock to those nice apple people. I will live with Lumin/bubble - it’s usefully more convenient than what I was doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up