INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help With Output Format Setup  (Read 1667 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Need Help With Output Format Setup
« on: September 20, 2018, 10:48:24 pm »

I'm trying to get things optimally configured for playback of digital music files from my hard drive and I am way confused.

The majority of my files are uncompressed AIFF 16-bit 44.1 Khz. Then I've got a handful of lossy MP3 files and a few lossless FLAC files, and another folder of Hi-Res files which are mostly 24-bit 96 or 192 Khz, and then some DSD files in .dsf format, most of which are listed in my library as bit rate of 5644 (I guess these are 1X DSD if I have understood it correctly) but with a few at 11289 and 22579 (2X DSD and 4X DSD I guess).

I've got two different DACs connected to my Windows PC. My Rega DAC-R handles PCM files at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kHz and does not support DSD files, so I've created a separate zone for DSD playback configured to send the output to my OPPO UDP-205 which according to the specs supports sample rates up to 768 kHz PCM and DSD 512 (but when I go to play those files listed as 22579 bit rate I get a popup saying "playback cannot be started using the format 1.4 Mhz 64-bit 2-ch and suggesting 176.4 Khz 2-ch as a format that would work..." Well, okay, but I am confused about how to set up playback of these DSD files thru my OPPO.

I am pretty sure I have configured the output correctly for my main "player" zone which goes to the Rega DAC-R set at XMOS USB 2.0 DAC Audio WASAPI with DSP output format enabled, output encoding set at None, any input sample rates above 192 Khz set to output of 176.4 or 192 (since the Rega will not support higher sample rates).

But for the DSD zone, with output device OPPO UDP-205 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC WASAPI, how do I want to set up the output format so it passes thru DSD files in native format at the sample rates which the OPPO supposedly supports? Do I leave output encoding set to None or if not then what do I set it to?

I want to set channels to two for stereo since I am not using surround, my system is two-channel. The more I try to sort this all out in my head the more confused I am getting, so maybe someone can please just tell me what settings to use to enable DSD playback thru the OPPO zone, and everything else (99% of my library is PCM) just thru the Player zone to my Rega.

I realize I could also set it to convert any DSD files to PCM during playback and send it all to the Rega, or I could convert the files themselves (I figured out how to do this with library tools)... but I do want to take advantage of my OPPO's ability to play DSD (though the opinions I've gathered seem to suggest there is no real advantage of DSD over PCM at relatively equivalent sample rates (1X DSD = 24-bit 96, 2X DSD = 24-bit 192).

Yes, I have been studying the JRiver wiki and trying to make sense of it and find the correct path forward but I keep getting stumped and so I am using this forum to get some help. Once I get this all set up according to my preferences I am looking forward to getting down to enjoying the music! Thanks...
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need Help With Output Format Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:55:46 am »

Just set the Oppo zone to Bitstream DSD. Then the DSP & Output Format will have no effect, as they won't be used. Normally JRiver's Internal Volume control will still work when Bitstreaming, I believe, but I'm not sure if that is true with DSD files.

I assume that you already have a Rego Zone (Player) and Oppo Zone set up, and you have turned on ZoneSwitch with rules to select the Oppo Zone for DSD files, right?

Could you tell me how to create a rule that automatically routes playback of DSD files (do I need to specify a list of file formats) to the DSD zone.

With a ZoneSwitch rule, probably as simple as;
[File Type]=dsf    or actually probably better   [File Type]=[dsf]
for the Oppo Zone, and make the Zones exclusive... or something like that. The wiki has details.

Of course, if you do Bitstream to the Oppo, any Room Correction, Convolutions, Parametric Equaliser setting etc. will have no effect, so consider if that is really what you wish to do. As a minimum you will need to set up Room Correction on the Oppo, I expect.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:08:32 pm »

Thanks for that reply, Roderick. Very helpful. Not using any DSP settings for this or Room Correction at this point so if bitstreaming cancels that out it won't make a difference to me. I suppose if it is a surround DSD file then it will be mixed down to stereo internally in the OPPO anyways (I do not have a surround system). And it was easy creating a ZoneSwitch rule that should work. I will still need to remember to switch the input on my amp from the Rega to the OPPO.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:50:19 am »

Looking at the section on Bitstreaming https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD#Bitstreaming it says there are three options:

ASIO 2.2
    DSD over PCM (DoP)
    DSD over DLNA (DoPE)

Do I need to figure out which to use? I have my device set to OPPO UDP-205 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC WASAPI and just turned on Bitstreaming to DSD as you instructed. And then in the DSP studio Output Format there is a dropdown menu for output encoding... I guess that is irrelevant since you said when DSD bitstreaming the output format settings are disabled?

It seems to be playing all my dsf files properly thru the OPPO but I want to be sure I have everything configured optimally.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 01:22:51 am »

It's working. Sounds like you have it right.

Yes, if you are Bitstreaming then DSP isn't used. Well, certainly for other audio formats, and my understanding is for DSD formats as well.

The settings under "Tools > Options > Audio > Bitstreaming" aren't part of DSP in MC.

The settings under "Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > DSP & Output Format..." are for encoding audio to DSD (in DoP or Native) rather than when Bitstreaming. For example, if you have 4xDSD (DSD256) format files, but your equipment only supports 2xDSD (DSD128). Then you would set Bitstreaming, select Custom, then DSD, then select "Up to DSD128" in the drop-down list. Then in the DSP section, you would select encoding to 2xDSD in DoP, or 2xDSD in Native format. Or you could just leave the output in PCM. i.e. No encoding.

Then with those setting MC will Bitstream up to 2xDSD, and encode above that. You may still need a separate Zone and Zoneswitch for DSD playback, unless you were happy for all playback to be encoded as DSD. Note though that using separate Zones can be a problem when trying to play a playlist which requires Zoneswitch and different Zones. At least I think that is still the case.

At least that is my understanding. I don't actually have DSD capable equipment, and DSD support has changed a bit over recent times, supporting higher sample rates for example. I think the Wiki may need a little tuning by someone who uses and understands the details.

There have also been a few threads discussing DSD capabilities recently. Worth a search.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 07:29:04 am »

Take a look at Audio Path - icon on top right next to shuffle. It will tell you want the audio stream is and if any changes are happening to it. It is a good way to confirm that everything is working as expected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up