INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No "File not found" notification in status bar for removed files (solved)  (Read 1743 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen

As I was moving some media folders to new locations, I noticed the notification "File not found" is no longer displayed in the status bar when removed files are selected... and the 'missing file' icon in list view is not displayed either...

I'm using MC 24 (x64), but haven't changed settings lately (there is no MC option to turn this off anyway)... The feature is very useful for managing the library, how can I get it back?

Edit: I just checked if the feature works correctly in MC 22, and it does! Both status bar text 'File not found' and red-white 'No go' icon display correctly when non existent files are selected / listed (the red icon even works without selecting files, just by scrolling a list of files that aren't found)... That's how it should be, so a bug in MC 24 is very likely, perhaps in 64 bit versions only)!? Please help.

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: No "File not found" notification in status bar for removed files
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:21:42 am »

Status bar notification "File not found" is no longer displayed. (Also posted in parent forum, moderators please move as appropriate ;-)

I just moved some old library folders to new drives, and when selecting the moved files in MC list views, the "File not found" message failed to appear, and also the red-white 'missing file' icon doesn't...

The notification still works in MC 22, both status bar text 'File not found' and red-white 'not found' icon will display when non existing files are selected. That's how it should be, so a bug in MC 24 is very likely, perhaps in 64 bit versions only!?

It's working here.

It does cache the answer, so it might not update live right away.

But it is loading on the first run properly for me.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:30:15 am »

It does cache the answer, so it might not update live right away.

But it is loading on the first run properly for me.

Well, lucky you... ;-) Any suggestions how to fix that on my side (of the Atlantic ;-)??
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:14:56 am »

Working correctly for me too - lucky, lucky me to be over the European side of the Atlantic.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:30:54 am »

Add.: Did some test on this now, and found that MC 24 (x64) does not at all 'update' the file presence -- that is, check if a file exists in the library's location or not (and notify in the status bar if not), not even after closing and restarting Media Center!

Even if not a bug report issue, I would appreciate someone looking into this. I will gladly provide any more information you need... thank you!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:35:13 am »

not even after closing and restarting Media Center!

Is it possible you have Library Server running so it's not a real restart?

And your post was just split.  It's still here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117575.0.html

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 11:37:09 am »

(removed, see post #4.)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 11:40:39 am »

Is it possible you have Library Server running so it's not a real restart?

No, MC server is only running along with the main program, no auto start...

(Besides, in MC 22 I have the library server always running, and status bar notifications never failed, no restart required...)

And your post was just split.  It's still here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117575.0.html

Yes, I saw that, thank you! Matt, feel free to delete the other thread... ;-)

swiv3d

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 12:15:32 pm »

Are you moving files from a USB drive to somewhere else?

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 12:26:58 pm »

Are you moving files from a USB drive to somewhere else?

USB drive, yes, but not to elsewhere... just shifting some files & folders within the drive... (sorry for picking the wrong word before ;-).

swiv3d

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 01:06:19 pm »

Have you got protect files on a missing drive selected on your import settings? - it could have an effect.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 01:10:13 pm »

Have you got protect files on a missing drive selected on your import settings? - it could have an effect.

No, I never enable that option, prefer doing it all manually... ;-) This and all other settings are identical in both MC versions I have installed (22/x32 + 24/x64)...

What else should I watch out for?

swiv3d

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 01:15:37 pm »

Silly question but are the removed files actually gone - if you have used F6 Rename, Move and copy files to move files to a new address on the same drive there shouldn't be any removed files. I just moved a set of files on one of my usb drives to a new location and MC24.0.52 (64 bit) shows the no entry sign and the notification - so the software isn't faulty.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 01:21:46 pm »

Silly question but are the removed files actually gone - if you have used F6 Rename, Move and copy files to move files to a new address on the same drive there shouldn't be any removed files.

Yes, absolutely and positively! (You're right to ask though, one never knows... ;-) In fact, I mostly use MC's 'Move & Rename' for larger file operations/ numbers... In this case I simply shoveled them using Windows Explorer, and went to adjust the paths in MC afterwards... So that was how it struck me in the first place...

swiv3d

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 01:24:08 pm »

What  I mean is, if you look at the address of one of these files is it still the old address or the new one?

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 01:28:09 pm »

What  I mean is, if you look at the address of one of these files is it still the old address or the new one?

Yes, I did get your point, and yes, the paths were changed outside of MC, yet MC showed the old ones that were no longer valid (only it didn't notice and tell me so... ;-)

(NB. Glad to hear it works correctly with you too... ;-)

I had already re-installed this version 2 days ago, but I think the statusbar info used to work before... Even suspected it might be related to skins, as I made some changes to the one I use, but that didn't seem to be the cause...

swiv3d

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 02:06:05 pm »

Ok, have you got autoimport switched on, and if so is fix broken links checked as yes?

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »

Ok, have you got autoimport switched on, and if so is fix broken links checked as yes?

Sorry, I thought that was answered 4 posts earlier ;-)... But no, the option for fixing broken links in auto-import is completely disabled (with auto import set to run 'in background').

Anyhow, even if this was enabled 'for missing drives', MC would still display those files as 'not found' in their old locations.

swiv3d

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 07:18:27 pm »

Look in Tools>Options>Tree&View> Advanced and see if 'Display missing file image in lists' is checked.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 08:06:07 pm »

Look in Tools>Options>Tree&View> Advanced and see if 'Display missing file image in lists' is checked.

Wow, thank you so much, that finally did the trick! I had actually disabled this option in MC24, since I never understood what it was for... You see, I am using MC in German, and as it turns out this line was completely mistranslated -- no wonder I got it wrong, and thousands of German users with me!

As it happens though, I am also involved in maintaining the German language file for MC, and will make sure this is fixed at once. Thank you again!

swiv3d

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »

Glad to be of assistance - Enjoy the music!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 08:17:33 pm »

Glad it's solved :)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 09:16:24 pm »

The mistranslation is now corrected in my copy of the German language file (bytestar, the 'translator on duty' is notified through our 'German translations for MC' forum topic... ;-)

Actually, since this option also controls the 'file not found' status bar message, I would suggest to change both the translations and English source text accordingly, for example to

"Notify missing files by list icon and status bar message" or similar...

What do you think?

swiv3d

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 07:07:02 am »

That would seem to be more appropriate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up