INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dynamic zones disappear  (Read 2641 times)

BernhardS

• World Citizen
dynamic zones disappear
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:04:51 pm »

Hi admins,
for two weeks now, my DLNA zones keep disappearing from Playing Now. These are two Pioneer XW-SMA4 (Wi-Fi).
I can go into the program and refresh the zones, to make them appear again, but this is only temporarily, after a few minutes or so they disappear again.

The only changing was an FritzBox update, 7.01

I tried a lot: fixed IPs, Kaspersky and Wind Defender off, exclusions in the firewall, fixed wi-fi channels. AndrewFG's utility...

Can I send you my logfile for analysis? Maybe you will find the cause.

Many thanks

I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

BernhardS

• World Citizen
Re: dynamic zones disappear
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 10:39:35 am »

Hello Bob,

any idea? No devices under Playing Now. Reporter: Digital Media Devices: 2 Pioneer boxes
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:10:03 am »

...pity that the problem is not worth paying attention to ...I have to try myself

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:33:21 am »

When you don't get an answer, it often means that nobody knows the solution.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 09:01:11 am »

I assume you are running on windows.
What is fritzbox?

Try looking at the Media network status window under Services & Plugins in the tree  in MC to make sure all of the servers are running (it will say number of servers:x (status))

If they are all running I assume something is preventing the SSDP broadcasts or responder. Check all firewalls on the box.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 09:59:39 am »

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 01:58:17 pm »

I assume you are running on windows.
What is fritzbox?

Try looking at the Media network status window under Services & Plugins in the tree  in MC to make sure all of the servers are running (it will say number of servers:x (status))

If they are all running I assume something is preventing the SSDP broadcasts or responder. Check all firewalls on the box.

Fritzbox is the router. SSDP/UPNP is enabled. Experimentally I closed Kaspersky and disabled  Windows Defender.

Just now I see all Zones. Two Pioneer boxes and my Bravia TV.  I occasionally had the impression that the connection is stable if the TV is running. I will test it tomorrow and start a new log.

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 02:30:09 pm »

I have this issue, I lose all the playing zones, my Chromecast through BubbleuPnP server, my LG TV etc.  They disappear, and then return randomly.  I spent a lot of effort assuming it was a BubbleUPnP / Chromecast problem until I noticed all the zones disappearing and reappearing.  I haven't pursued it beyond noticing it however.  I moved my playing activity to Plex which didn't offer the same features but was more stable.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:56:37 pm »

I have this issue, I lose all the playing zones, my Chromecast through BubbleuPnP server, my LG TV etc.  They disappear, and then return randomly.  I spent a lot of effort assuming it was a BubbleUPnP / Chromecast problem until I noticed all the zones disappearing and reappearing.  I haven't pursued it beyond noticing it however.  I moved my playing activity to Plex which didn't offer the same features but was more stable.
This is most commonly because of problems with SSDP. (UDP port 1900)
More often than not, it's that windows is blocking MC from using this port. This can be from a firewall setting or third party app block.
The network needs to be "Private" in windows or MC won't be allowed to broadcast on that port (the windows 7 terms were work, home and public), public blocks.
Second most seen is that there is another App running on windows hogging UDP port 1900. That will probably be reflected in MC's status window for Media Network (1 more more servers failed to start).
Third most common is that a wired or wireless router is filtering out multicast packets. This is a router setting is is most commonly seen whe some devices are on wireless and others are wired.

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 03:12:11 pm »

I would regret it to use another player. I'm here since JukeBox 8. But since two weeks it's verry frustrating. Start MC, after 10...15 minutes the first Box appears for a few seconds under Playing Now. Within the next 20... 30 minutes both boxes appear alternately in the distance of a few minutes. It takes up to an hour befor the connection is stable. But all the time I can see both boxes in "Reporter", in Windows Explorer... I have even recorded a shadow copy again...  The strange thing: Today the TV is running and both boxes are stable. Even after a clean reboot, they were immediately visible again.

At least it's a little comforting not to be the only one. I do not want to give up yet, there must be a cause and hopefully a solution...

Bob,

my question again: Would it be helpful to post a JR logfile?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 03:26:04 pm »

I would regret it to use another player. I'm here since JukeBox 8. But since two weeks it's verry frustrating. Start MC, after 10...15 minutes the first Box appears for a few seconds under Playing Now. Within the next 20... 30 minutes both boxes appear alternately in the distance of a few minutes. It takes up to an hour befor the connection is stable. But all the time I can see both boxes in "Reporter", in Windows Explorer... I have even recorded a shadow copy again...  The strange thing: Today the TV is running and both boxes are stable. Even after a clean reboot, they were immediately visible again.

At least it's a little comforting not to be the only one. I do not want to give up yet, there must be a cause and hopefully a solution...

Bob,

my question again: Would it be helpful to post a JR logfile?
If you want to send me a log I'll check through it.
You'll need to catch it failing though, doesn't sound like it is now...

I suspect a network issue. Is there a possibility to connect the devices and MC together with a dumb switch temporarily to test?

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 04:01:08 pm »

If you want to send me a log I'll check through it.
You'll need to catch it failing though, doesn't sound like it is now...

...here  the logfile. It includes a period in which the problems occurred.

I suspect a network issue. Is there a possibility to connect the devices and MC together with a dumb switch temporarily to test?

... I use wi-Fi, I have to get it first (Thursday, this Wednesday is holliday in Germany)

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:50 pm »

... for 5 minutes the tv is off - and the boxes are gone...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 04:12:00 pm »

It sounds like the TV is making the SSDP work somehow.
Is it connected wired or wireless?

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 04:19:38 pm »

All connections are wireless.

... It would certainly be a solution to always allow TV to run, but no one can bear it without going crazy. ;D

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 04:26:23 pm »

That would drive me crazy for sure!  ::)

Can you check MC's Media Network Status screen to make sure all of the servers are running (especially SSDP)??
under Services & Plugins in the tree in MC (under Overview it will say number of servers:x (status))

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 04:39:35 pm »

...and now the ssdp-server...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 11:06:46 am »

Assuming you are running windows 10, check your firewall settings (look at the attachment below for an example of a improperly configured MC24).

You want MC to show up on the "private" network, not the public one and make SURE your network connection thinks it's private (I've seen cases where windows gets confused when you add or change your wireless router).

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »

Firewall and Network are so.

I tried the following: Connect my Laptop via LAN, the first box via LAN, the second, box wireless - and it still works.
After clean restart (win10 professional) it works. After 3 minutes (it's not really fast, but better than nothing) all devices are connected.

This morning I tried different things. In one case I noticed that the ssdp-server of mc was not started - see attachment. The windows service starts automatically (without delay).

This Sunday I will try to downgrade the OS of my router and hope to get it up and running again. I will report.
(otherwise  >:( only monday or so)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 11:52:58 am »

Firewall and Network are so.

I tried the following: Connect my Laptop via LAN, the first box via LAN, the second, box wireless - and it still works.
After clean restart (win10 professional) it works. After 3 minutes (it's not really fast, but better than nothing) all devices are connected.

This morning I tried different things. In one case I noticed that the ssdp-server of mc was not started - see attachment. The windows service starts automatically (without delay).

This Sunday I will try to downgrade the OS of my router and hope to get it up and running again. I will report.
(otherwise  >:( only monday or so)
If the SSDP server isn't running, that means there likely is another one running on your computer and that's hogging port 1900.
I'll attach a way of finding what that is in windows (using a administrator level cmd window).
In the case shown, I used netstat to find that there are 2 processes using port 1900: 6972 and 1752
I then used tasklist to find which programs are associated with those processes which turn out to be
MediaCenter 23
and
svchost which is the system daemon on windows, probably in this case doing windows media sharing. Windows media sharing doesn't seem to be an issue for me at any case but if you show only that you might try turning it off.

If there isn't another process running on port 1900 you might want to check to see if any of your antivirus/security solutions are preventing MC from opening UDP port 1900.

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 02:20:12 pm »

Hello Bob,

I tested the Port 1900: MC and svchost.

In the meantime, I have decided to postpone the router-reset project. First comes a new laptop - it was a welcome occasion ;). I hope, then everything is fine and hopefully it will show which device causes the problems. Over the years seemingly some problems have accumulated. eg such oddities - (see attachment. Left under Playing Now are 2 boxes, named "XW...". The names has long been changed. Right in Reporter two digital media devices. They are the same. Friendly names are "Pioneer...". ).
Out of pure interest, I will use a few rainy autumn days to solve the problem in my old computer. MC does not seem to be the cause, otherwise surely someone would have reported about it

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 11:09:43 am »

Hello Bob,

...solved...

It was my router.

Entered the complete domain name in the "Domain name exceptions" field in the "DNS Rebind Protection" section.
For security reasons, the FRITZ!Box suppresses DNS responses that refer to IP addresses in its own home network. This is a security function of the FRITZ!Box to protect against what are known as DNS rebinding attacks.

All that remains is a brand new laptop ;D

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 01:00:30 pm »

Glad you found it!
Thanks for reporting your solution!
Pages: [1]   Go Up