INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to enable HDR for UHD movie playback  (Read 5192 times)

spik99

• Recent member
How to enable HDR for UHD movie playback
« on: September 30, 2018, 11:34:35 am »

FYI,

When I play 4K movies on my 4k bluray player... my LG OLED TV displays 'HDR' when I start movie.
I recently upgraded my video card on win 10 to NVIDIA 1080ti

Wondered when I downloaded 4k 10bit HDR movies... I did not get 'HDR' indicator on my TV.... So i did some digging and did the following:

In NVIDIA Control panel... In Display->Change resolution.... Unselected 'Use default color settings' and selected 'Use NVIDIA color settings'
Output color format -> YCbCr422
Output color depth -> 10bpc

Without above change... I am unable to turn on 'HDR and WCG' in win10

After above change.... DXDiag Settings seem to be correct

DXDiag
   Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)
   HDR Support: Supported
   Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020

The problem... Is that if I turn on 'HDR and WCG' in win10.... Yes, 'HDR' is displayed on my TV... but it is on all the time... and if I play a movie... color is not correct.

I don't want HDR to be displayed on my TV unless I play a HDR enabled movie or any HDR content i suppose.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to enable HDR for UHD movie playback
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:05:40 pm »

You are not using RO HQ?

Also it is better to output full RGB to your LG OLED (I have also one).

See:https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
A) Which output format (RGB vs YCbCr, 0-255 vs 16-235) should I activate in my GPU control panel?

In RO HQ you configure under device ->LG.. ->hdr that you want to passthrough HDR to your display.
devices-> LG...-> properties PC levels (0-255), 10 bit
devices->LG....->properties BT.709 you can try BT.2020 in most cases madvr switches back to BT.709

If you use full RGB you must enable that in the LG Oled and in the NVIDIA control panel.

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:46:21 pm »

Thanks for the reply...

You are not using RO HQ?
Yes.

Not sure if I needed to... but downloaded MadVR... Not sure If I need to put MadVR in any particular folder ?

In RO HQ you configure under device ->LG.. ->hdr that you want to passthrough HDR to your display.
devices->LG....->properties BT.709 you can try BT.2020 in most cases madvr switches back to BT.709
Is the above in 'Open madVR Settings (Advanced) ?  If so... under devices... I have listed my Denon - AVRHD and in display... Device name is 'display connected to Denon- AVRHD'

If you use full RGB you must enable that in the LG Oled and in the NVIDIA control panel.
I was looking on my LG OLED TV settings... and I did not see any RGB reference.... ?  Maybe you let me know where I find this setting ?

Thanks in advance.

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 01:28:34 pm »

Found it... But it did not see BT.709

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:07:28 pm »

Another update...

I did revert change on NVIDIA card and put back to 'Use default color settings'... Also watched a YouTube video on MadVR... and updated several settings...

Now when playing a movie (full screen) it does display 'HDR' on my TV... and colors are good... when I go back to desktop... and pause movie... desktop stays at HDR and colors are weird on PC... But when I stop movie... HDR is disabled on TV and colors are back to normal.  This is fine.

One thing i did notice... is that my GPU goes to 97%... most likely the MadVR settings I set... Not sure what setting I set... but GPU temp does not rise above 50C so I am not concerned.

Changed a lot of things on MadVR... But if there is anything in particular for movie playback that I should be checking... Please let me know.

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 09:21:03 pm »

Without above change... I am unable to turn on 'HDR and WCG' in win10

You don't need "HDR and WCG" turned on in Windows to get HDR in movies. That sets the Desktop to HDR, which I found quite annoying and not useful at all.  MC and madVR take care of displaying HDR when required. So it good that you...

I did revert change on NVIDIA card and put back to 'Use default color settings'... Also watched a YouTube video on MadVR... and updated several settings...

Also, don't download and install a separate instance of madVR. MC downloads and installs its own copy of madVR, which is the best version to use if you want best stability. Of course you could install the latest madVR and use that, as some people do, but that is probably just making work for yourself.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 10:15:18 pm »

I agree, Just use what is bundled with MC.  Under Tools--> Options--> Video-->Video Mode:
- Turn on Red October HQ (this uses a private version of madVR)
- Load madVR quality preset --> High Quality (note: this will overwrite any madVR config you have done)
- Open madVR Settings (to tweak anything you need in madVR)

The latest version of madVR shipped with MC includes the new HDR--> SDR feature and the default is "let madVR Decide" so should kick in.  This well mean that you will no longer see (or need) the TV/PC switch to HDR mode as madVR will do the work instead of the TV/PC.  The only thing you may need to play with is in madVR Settings--> Devices--> HDR and turn on "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel share math" and change your "Target Peak Nits" if the HDR material is either too bright or too dark for your taste (a lower # makes it brighter, a higher # makes it darker but also increase the dynamic range).
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up