INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deinterlacing issues  (Read 1196 times)

jorsan

• World Citizen
Deinterlacing issues
« on: October 02, 2018, 05:06:41 am »

I have several old movies and video concerts in 480. Movies plays and looks great with the help Madvr/lav, but my video concerts shows deinterlacing issues (when there is movement fine horizontal lines shows up). Would you please explain why this difference in movies and music concerts and of course, help me to avoid this? thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Deinterlacing issues
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:56:20 am »

Try pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-T during playback of one of the problematic videos.  It toggles between the different deinterlacing methods, so try all the settings (video, film, auto, off) and see if any one of them works.  Some video content is shot in 24, but then broadcast at 59, and that content needs "film" type reverse telecine deinterlacing.  Conventional 24p content (movies) doesn't require deinterlacing, and conventional broadcast content in 59 works fine with "video" type deinterlacing. 

I suspect your content might need "film" type deinterlacing, because (as I recall) "auto" defaults to "video" when it can't figure things out.  If you find a mode that works, you can set the mode for the files individually if there are only a few, or if you want to do a bunch use jriver's rename utility to add deint=film to the end of the file name (but before the file extension), and JRiver will handle them correctly.

jorsan

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 04:50:12 pm »

I cant find the correct configuration but Im trying. Looks like is best when I use "Auto" and within LAV deinterlace in auto, BUT my GPU (GTX1050 TI) can't handle that ....

Glimmie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 07:46:17 pm »

One problem with older concerts is that they are captured onto composite videotape in 30 frame video, or more accurately 29.97. This is pure video in that unlike a film transfer to 30 frame, there can be a motion difference between video fields. That won't happen on properly transferred film. This is the most difficult problem to address in de-interlacing, that is inter-field motion.

As someone who has many years in broadcast engineering and personally has a collection of broadcast grade scalers, I have found the JRiver algorithms very good to the point I no longer uses the old but very good hardware de-interlacers / scalers  in my HT system.

jorsan

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 04:17:35 am »

Good to know Glimmie, thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up