INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is a tree view defined?  (Read 570 times)

haggis999

• Citizen of the Universe
Where is a tree view defined?
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:07:14 am »

I have a MyMovies view defined within the standard Video view. Neither of the 'Customize View' settings for these two views appear to contain any rules that mention Genre, Year or Actor.

However, when I click on MyMovies in the tree view on the left side of MC it expands into a list of all the relevant Genre settings. If I then click on a Genre, a list of Years appears. Clicking on a Year presents a list of Actors. Where is all this defined?

haggis999

Re: Where is a tree view defined?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 09:05:14 am »

MyMovies is currently defined as a File List. Unlike the Categories option you have chosen, this does not allow you to define any headings. The only rule set for MyMovies is that the Media Sub Type should be 'Movie'. It also inherits a rule from the Video view that specifies a value of 'Video' for Media Type.

My question therefore still stands. Where is the Genre, Year and Actor tree structure coming from?

EDIT:  This was a response to a previous reply, but that reply has just disappeared!

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:20:22 am »

I have just set up a file list view in the video section and all I get is a list of files in alphabetical order, so I am guessing that when you set up your MyMovies view you didn't just set up a blank view and then set it to file list. Some detail on how you set up your view might help.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:14:17 am »

Just set up another view with defined display groups, genre etc. then switched it to file view and voila the filetype view retains the characteristics of the parent view. So I suggest you change the view type from file view to categories or panes and see what pops up!

haggis999

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:30:45 am »

Just set up another view with defined display groups, genre etc. then switched it to file view and voila the filetype view retains the characteristics of the parent view. So I suggest you change the view type from file view to categories or panes and see what pops up!

Well spotted!

Temporarily switching MyMovies to a Panes view did indeed display a list of categories, starting with Genre, Year and Actors. When I created MyMovies several years ago, I probably copied an existing Panes view and then modified it. Your reference to a parent view caused me to try turning off the 'Use parent scheme rule for file display', but that didn't make the Genre, Year and Actors breakdown disappear. The configuration of MC can often be tricky to comprehend, but I love the fact that it is such a powerful tool.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up