INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion on TV recs - avoiding the same show recorded sim. by multiple tuners  (Read 829 times)

Mans

• Galactic Citizen

Great day Yaobing,

I'm noticing double TV recordings on the same show, sometimes not same length.

But I'm guessing i did found the cause of it aswell,

When a scheduled recording does take place, the user of a MC client isn't notified by such when manually starting recording the same show.

Could the user be informed when he instruct a manual recording a show which is already in proces?

Fyi:
We're using three clients around the house.
And using Sat>IP with priorised tuners in order to avoid collisions.

Thanks in advance,

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!

We do have schemes to avoid duplication.  It may still need to be refined.  Usually if a show is already being recorded, another instance would not start.  Did all your recordings happen on the same computer (the server)?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Mans

• Galactic Citizen

Hi Yaobing,

Only the MC Server is configured.
The 3 clients have only there tuner priority order setup.

As I'm using Sat>IP the hardware isn't fixed.

I'm able to reproduce this by manually start a recording on a Client - for a show which is actually been re cored already/scheduled.
Ending up with a double recording.

Let me know if you want me to test or verify things :-)

Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!

A show that is already scheduled to be recorded has a recording icon to tell you it's already being recorded.  This is true even on clients.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Mans

• Galactic Citizen

Hi Yaobing,

From inside the EPG guide yes true.

But when actually into live TV mode (Theater View) and p.e. switching channels you don't have this feedback.
You can't see if the actual show is already been recorded.
When manually starting the same recording it will result into two identical files without any notification at the time.
This scenario certainly can happen when multiple users (and clients) are present.

Suggestion; to have some red dot or some notification into the OSD when switching channels - if the program is into recording.
Or/and adding a pop-up "this program is actually into recording" or such when starting the same recording ?

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback,

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck

Over the years, I've had similar experiences with duplicate recordings but with a somewhat different trigger. Mine involve different recording rules that end up covering the same future show. The most common is:
   Family Member #1  Manually selects "The Show Ep 5" to record
   Family Member #2  Sets up a subscription for "The Show"
I end up with 2 recordings of "The Show Ep 5" (usually of slightly different lengths due to different recording before/after settings).

Is this expected? I do not entirely fault MC for doing two recordings, particularly if one has -/+ 1 min extra and the other +/- 2 min extra. However, Is there any easy way to see this is going to occur?

The EPG "To Be Recorded" view simply tells me what programs will be recorded but isn't useful for seeing duplicates and overlap. Instead something more like the recording logs but for future tasks:

Tue  8:58pm - Start  "The Show Ep 5"  (Recording rule 1234)  [1 in progress]
Tue  8:59pm - Start  "The Show Ep 5"  (Recording rule 1133)  [2 in progress]
Tue 10:01pm - End "The Show Ep 5" (Recording rule 1133) [1 in progress]
Tue 10:02pm - End "The Show Ep 5" (Recording rule 1234) [0 in progress]

This informs of potential duplicates, how many tuners are getting used, and just generally what all of the rules boil down to. It could even flag what recording is getting dropped due to tuner exhaustion. If something like this already exists please point me in the right direction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up