INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Cover Art folder location reset problem  (Read 711 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Video Cover Art folder location reset problem
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:07:19 am »

I store all my media on my NAS, which includes a folder for cover art, where I store all my video cover art.  A couple of times recently my media server has "lost" all its cover art.  After digging around, it seems to be that if, for whatever reason, the mapped drive to my NAS is unavailable, MC reverts to a local drive default folder.

This is not helpful as it disrupts my setup...

Could MC be changed to honour what the user has chosen?  Or, if a change is seen as desirable, prompt the user eg "Cover Art folder not found, do you want to revert to default location" so that they can decide?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Video Cover Art folder location reset problem
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:33:08 am »

[gentle bump]

This broke my cover art again... required me to manually reset the location.

Going to look at symbolically linking the default location to my preferred location to get around this, but this behaviour is problematic.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:42:06 am »

Actually, maybe what I described as the problem isn't the issue...

I just disconnected the drive to try and force it, but MC is still pointing to the mapped drive.  So something else is causing it to "forget"...  I wonder if it's perhaps during an update or something - something being lost/reset?  Will have to watch further and do more testing.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:56:55 am »

After digging around, it seems to be that if, for whatever reason, the mapped drive to my NAS is unavailable, MC reverts to a local drive default folder.

I think that is the default behaviour. I'm pretty sure it has been discussed before, the logic being the if the correct drive isn't available, MC needs to do something about Cover Art, so it reverts to the default and starts using that. I'm pretty sure that behaviour is the same for all File Locations.

However, that doesn't explain why your forced test didn't produce the same result. Maybe it only reverts to the default when a process needs to do something with Cover Art.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 08:21:20 am »

If it's default behaviour, it's not consistent across all file locations... only my cover art directory reverts; the rest stay pointed where I direct them (which is the behaviour I prefer)... 

Maybe there's a timeout, before reverting to default?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 04:43:48 pm »

I think it reverts when MC needs to use the location and finds it doesn't exist.

Try ripping a disc, doing a conversion, or backing up MC and see if those File Locations revert. Ripping or backing up should be obvious immediately, as you can see the destination location. The Conversion Cache would just switch silently I think.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up