INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Measuring JRiver output using REW  (Read 1895 times)

burnhamjs

• Recent member
Measuring JRiver output using REW
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:40 am »

I am currently working on EQ'ing my 5.1 system with REW with the plan to use JRiver MC w/DSP for playing all my media files (stereo music, 5.1 movies, etc).  My setup is Windows 10 PC -> AVR (Onkyo) via HDMI. 

I have read the page "Verifying DSP Studio" (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio) which uses the HifiCable & ASIO Bridge to make the connection between REW and MC. 

When it's gets to the "Configure REW" section it states I need to select the Java drivers. In order to get REW to output through HDMI (for 5.1) I need to use the ASIO4ALL drivers instead of the Java drivers.

Is there a way to make this work with ASIO4ALL drivers?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Measuring JRiver output using REW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:03 am »

I don't understand what you're trying to do as the wiki page is talking about measuring the output of MC directly so the physical output (to an AVR in your case) is irrelevant.

Can you clarify exactly what you want to measure?

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:44:03 am »

I want to measure the output of my speakers at the listening position using REW, but I want REW's sound to pass through JRiver MC DSP so I can measure the effect of the EQ'ing in DSP.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:11:15 am »

Which audio device are you using to measure? i.e. how is your mic connected?

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:18:10 am »

measuring speaker output at listening position with a UMIK-1 connected to PC via USB.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:59:24 am »

which audio driver does the UMIK-1 use? java or asio?

this method will be one way to do it - https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio#Generate_a_Measurement_Sweep

i.e. save a measurement sweep as a file you can play in MC

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:13:34 pm »

yes, using ASIO4ALL for input (mic) and output (AVR). 

Thanks for the link.  I'll check that out. 

Appreciate your help.  I understand that this is not a JRiver, or REW, or necessarily a Windows issue - just was hoping it would be a little easier to direct the REW output through JRiver on the way to the AVR so I could measure the effect of any applied DSP with the UMIK-1 at the listening position. 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 12:15:14 pm »

to play directly from REW to MC you'll probably need to use an asio bridge so the signal chain would be

REW -> ASIO Bridge -> JRiver ASIO Line In -> JRiver DSP -> ASIO4ALL -> AVR -> Mic -> ASIO4ALL -> REW

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 12:22:13 pm »

to play directly from REW to MC you'll probably need to use an asio bridge so the signal chain would be

REW -> ASIO Bridge -> JRiver ASIO Line In -> JRiver DSP -> ASIO4ALL -> AVR -> Mic -> ASIO4ALL -> REW
I was thinking it would be something like that - but I don't know what an ASIO Bridge is.  Is is hardware or software?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:12 pm »

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 12:46:16 pm »

If you are wanting to just measure frequency response, then the RTA feature of REW is much easier:

How to use the RTA feature of REW with JRiver

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 12:54:55 pm »

If you are wanting to just measure frequency response, then the RTA feature of REW is much easier:

How to use the RTA feature of REW with JRiver
Thanks mojave - that does make it simple (though I see I can't get impulse or waterfall displays).  If I can't get REW to directly route sound through JRiver then I'll definitely use this method.

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 12:57:57 pm »

https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

Thanks - I'll give that a try.  I'm still taking measurements and adjusting acoustic panels/bass traps etc. so I won't be ready to test my results for a bit, but I started thinking a head and wondered how I could test/measure the filters I create (rather then just the simulated response curves).

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 01:09:31 pm »

Thanks mojave - that does make it simple (though I see I can't get impulse or waterfall displays).  If I can't get REW to directly route sound through JRiver then I'll definitely use this method.
there's not really any difference between using the RTA and using the measurement sweep option in terms of setup complexity, both involve playing a file in jriver and clicking some buttons in REW.

burnhamjs

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 01:51:32 pm »

there's not really any difference between using the RTA and using the measurement sweep option in terms of setup complexity, both involve playing a file in jriver and clicking some buttons in REW.
Right - I don't mean the setup within REW - I meant getting the REW output signal thru JRiver on the way to the AVR.  I could generate a file( a Sweep Measurement file as you linked to above or saving a Pink Noise file like mojave linked to) and play through JRiver.  I was looking for a way to get REW and JRiver connected directly - I think the Virtual Cable may be the answer (though another program to have running while taking measurements)
Pages: [1]   Go Up