INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apparent volume decrease after file format conversion  (Read 441 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Apparent volume decrease after file format conversion
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:23:23 pm »

I converted a folder of .dsf files to AIFF so that they can play on/thru devices that don't support DSD playback (my OPPO UDP-205 supports DSD, my Rega DAC-R does not). I selected 24-bit as the bit depth and checked the box to Apply DSP (I'm not doing any volume leveling or EQ but apparently the DSP option is the only way to specify sampling rate). I selected 192,000 Hz as the output for all input rates since I am not sure of the sampling rate on the dsf files. When I play back both the unconverted .dsf file and the same converted AIFF file on the same player and device the AIFF converted file is noticeably quieter. Is this typical when converting from DSD to PCM format? Should I uncheck the Apply DSP box? If I don't apply DSP then how is the sampling rate determined on the converted files? I am still pretty new in this whole area of hi-res music so bear with me if I seem clueless. Thanks.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Apparent volume decrease after file format conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:19:43 am »

DSD and PCM definitely have volume differences.

There is a setting to try to unify that a bit, go to Settings -> Audio -> Advanced -> Configure input plug-ins.. -> DSD input plugin, and check the "Increase volume of DSD to PCM by +6dB", if this is something that concerns you.
Note that increasing the volume during conversion can theoretically result in clipping problems, so it should be done carefully.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up