INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Library to Larger Drive - Remap Drive Letter?  (Read 1047 times)

Cinelder

• World Citizen
Moving Library to Larger Drive - Remap Drive Letter?
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:53:02 pm »

Quick question, would appreciate any guidance. 

I have run out of room on my current external hdd and would like to replace it with a larger capacity drive.  I use a dedicated computer - MC and Windows are all that runs on it.  Because I have a large library, I'd like to avoid the very long process of physically copying my current drive to the larger one using MC, since I already have back ups on larger capacity drives. Instead of using MC, could I substitute one of the backup drives and remap to the current drive's letter, so MC will see it as the same drive and still preserve play counts, last played, etc?

Are there any disadvantages?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving Library to Larger Drive - Remap Drive Letter?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 01:29:24 pm »

It would be better to let the backup drive be assigned a new letter and then use the RM&C tool in MC to point the database at the new drive using "Update Database" and the Find and Replace tool (i.e. find "E:", replace "G:").

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_and_Replace_Template

That way your existing file structure and database is preserved until you know that everything is good to go.

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 01:59:28 pm »

Many thanks!

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 02:02:01 pm »

Hi I'm Brian.  I agree with Bryan above.  :)

You'll want to make sure that the paths on your backup drive are exactly the same as on the primary drive.  If they are not, you can probably adjust them with the RM&C tool; it just depends on how they are set up.  If they are an exact match, then you are good to go with a simple RM&C change.

The RM&C tool is one of MC's BEST features!  It lets you do all kinds of wonderful things that other software won't.  RM&C is kind of a big tool, as it can do 3 or 4 different jobs.  It's worth the time to slow down, do a little reading on it, do an experiment or two, and gain some proficiency with this flexible powerful tool.  I've used RM&C SO MANY TIMES over the last few years to migrate my library from place to place.  It's great.

Brian.

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 02:28:56 pm »

Thank you, Bryan and Brian,

Since I was working off mirrored backups, I knew I already had identical folder/subfolder/file structures, so all that was involved for me was selecting the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)..." , ticking the "Find & Replace" box and replacing the first drive letter (e.g., X:/ with the second.(e.g, Y:/). 

Very cool!

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »

Good job.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up