INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight savings time change, EPG, and recordings  (Read 792 times)

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
Daylight savings time change, EPG, and recordings
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:38:28 pm »

I had a couple of recordings at 1am Sunday (when most of US changes time back an hour). This doesn't seem to be handled by MC.

UTC/epoch march on as normal but the delta to computing wall clock changes.
The effect in the fall is that after 1:59am the time jumps back to 1am (falls back) :
   Sunday  12am  1am...1:59am  1am  2am 3am

This caused the 1am recordings to record for an extra hour. Specifically, they should have recorded from 12:59am until 2:01am (1 minute extra at each end) but "2:01 am" didn't occur until an extra hour passed. Aside from the recordings going long, from what I can tell there is no way to properly see/record anything during the second 1am slot.

I know this is a bit of a corner case but it happens every year and seems like something worth fixing. Maybe keep all times in UTC and simply display the local time? This way the EPG etc could show repeated 1am in the fall and show the skip of 2am in the Spring.

I'm guessing in the Spring (time +1 forward) won't work properly when a program at 3am is scheduled to start N minutes early since the time suddenly jumps from 1:59am to 3am.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Daylight savings time change, EPG, and recordings
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:06:52 pm »

Seems to be a real issue and I will have to think of a solution.  Thanks for reporting it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up