INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiences with USB4 (DP 1.4) to HDMI 2.1 adapters?  (Read 715 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Experiences with USB4 (DP 1.4) to HDMI 2.1 adapters?
« on: June 23, 2023, 09:35:28 am »

I'm looking into the Minisforum NPB5 as my next 8K and 4K/120hz HTPC but it lacks HDMI 2.1 ports so I'll need to use a USB4 DP 1.4 alt-mode to HDMI 2.1 adapter and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these as the reviews are mixed. Seems like a lot of hardware/firmware issues still being worked out or am I being overcautious?

Example: https://a.co/d/2Y7anNx

eve

Re: Experiences with USB4 (DP 1.4) to HDMI 2.1 adapters?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 04:38:11 pm »

I'm looking into the Minisforum NPB5 as my next 8K and 4K/120hz HTPC but it lacks HDMI 2.1 ports so I'll need to use a USB4 DP 1.4 alt-mode to HDMI 2.1 adapter and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these as the reviews are mixed. Seems like a lot of hardware/firmware issues still being worked out or am I being overcautious?

Example: https://a.co/d/2Y7anNx

I can't speak to the USB4 ones but I went down this path trying to sort out 2.1 from older systems that 100% would support it with DP but lacked HDMI 2.1. I found the Club3d one to be a super reliable buy.
If Club3d makes what you're looking for, they're worth checking out OR at least using it as a baseline to figure out which knockoffs are the same internally.
120hz is a godsend (you get perfect 23/24 fps playback, and still get a nice smooth UI without swapping framerates constantly). Literally the only time you'll have to change frame rate is going between 119/120 depending on content OR rarely down to ~100 for 50/25fps material. The user experience is significantly nicer.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 01:48:38 pm »

Nice, that is what I was hoping to hear re: 120 fps. I'm also trying to minimize framerate mismatches to reduce motion judder in sweeping shots. Plus I can run Theater View in full glory. For the time being I will wait and hold out for true HDMI 2.1 ports.

eve

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 12:28:15 pm »

Nice, that is what I was hoping to hear re: 120 fps. I'm also trying to minimize framerate mismatches to reduce motion judder in sweeping shots. Plus I can run Theater View in full glory. For the time being I will wait and hold out for true HDMI 2.1 ports.
The sweeping shots are always going to be problematic but that's more an inherent difficulty with ~24fps acquisition. There's only so much that can be done. Personally, I've been really happy with the LG OLEDs + this idea of ~120hz container, it's never going to 100% 'fix' a problem that's a consequence of the medium but the way it handles this, at least to my eyes is closer to 'correct'.

Total game changer though dude.

I wish more of the 'MiniPC' reviews documented the experience with trying to get 120HZ out

P.S: 240HZ isn't anything groundbreaking. It's nice but a marginal improvement. ~600hz is the next 'big' step IMO. Every common framerate cleanly fits into it
Pages: [1]   Go Up