INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Increasing The Transport Button Size in Standard View?  (Read 556 times)

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
Increasing The Transport Button Size in Standard View?
« on: October 28, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »

Hi all,

I am using MC as a playback device on stage to play backing tracks using a windows based touch screen and while I can customise the font size and style in Standard view, the transport buttons do not increase in size which would be very helpful in stopping and starting tracks while I'm sitting behind my drums.

Is this possible?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Increasing The Transport Button Size in Standard View?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 01:10:55 am »

I wouldn't even try to hit that button while on stage as a drummer. Here are three options;

1. Use the Windows On-Screen Keyboard, make it wide and short, position it below MC on your Screen, so that all of MC is shown above and neither will be covered by the other, then when you want a track to start playing, hit the space bar on the screen. Actually, the Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard stays Always on Top, so it could probably cover some part of MC and not be an issue. $0. Not a perfect solution.
OR
Use the "Free Virtual Keyboard" from Comfort Software Group instead of the Microsoft version. Search for it in the Windows Store.

2. Find an on-screen virtual Remote Control buttons App, with perhaps just the Left, Right, Up, Down, and OK buttons. If possible, set it to be Always On Top and position it over the corner of MC somewhere, perhaps bottom right. Press OK when you want the next track to play. Cheap probably, but I couldn't find a good one quickly. A configurable virtual keyboard could probably do it.
OR
Use the "Hot Virtual Keyboard" from Comfort Software Group instead of the Microsoft version. This one is fully configurable by the look, and so you could build your own on-screen keyboard for use at gigs. Maybe the Spacebar, Arrow Keys, and some shortcut keys to other functions you may want to use in MC? Or just one big PLAY button. That one is here: https://hot-virtual-keyboard.com/  Free trial. Cheap licence.

3. Get a Musicians foot switch. (Midi foot controller.) There are cheap programmable foot switches, sort of like this one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PC-USB-Foot-Switch-Keyboard-Pedal-L7W9-/113040544669?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0
Program it to press enter or spacebar. Click it with your foot when you want the next track to play. A musician friend of mine uses a bunch of these sorts of switches with Apply devices and sophisticated software to select background beats, reverb, and so on while on stage. Your application is much simpler. Most are connected via USB, so you would need to have one available on your touchscreen device. Still a cheap solution.

Okay, there is a fourth option;
4. Learn how to edit MC skins, and with your new knowledge, increase the size of the controls you highlighted. That may have undesirable consequences for other parts of the interface though.

But wait, there's more!
5. Get someone to write (or find) a small App that just has a big PLAY button and sends an MCWS Play command to MC on your PC.

Or even;
6. Find an Android/iOS App that can remote control MC and has a big PLAY button, or is configurable.

I'm still here!

7. How about a wireless simple remote control like those used to seniors? Big buttons, and not many of them. Arrows and Play often. Of course a wireless connection may be a bit risky in the environment you will be in.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 02:25:52 am »

Panel might work better. It was built for touch screen.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 03:06:22 am »

I wouldn't even try to hit that button while on stage as a drummer. Here are three options;

1. Use the Windows On-Screen Keyboard, make it wide and short, position it below MC on your Screen, so that all of MC is shown above and neither will be covered by the other, then when you want a track to start playing, hit the space bar on the screen. Actually, the Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard stays Always on Top, so it could probably cover some part of MC and not be an issue. $0. Not a perfect solution.
OR
Use the "Free Virtual Keyboard" from Comfort Software Group instead of the Microsoft version. Search for it in the Windows Store.

2. Find an on-screen virtual Remote Control buttons App, with perhaps just the Left, Right, Up, Down, and OK buttons. If possible, set it to be Always On Top and position it over the corner of MC somewhere, perhaps bottom right. Press OK when you want the next track to play. Cheap probably, but I couldn't find a good one quickly. A configurable virtual keyboard could probably do it.
OR
Use the "Hot Virtual Keyboard" from Comfort Software Group instead of the Microsoft version. This one is fully configurable by the look, and so you could build your own on-screen keyboard for use at gigs. Maybe the Spacebar, Arrow Keys, and some shortcut keys to other functions you may want to use in MC? Or just one big PLAY button. That one is here: https://hot-virtual-keyboard.com/  Free trial. Cheap licence.

3. Get a Musicians foot switch. (Midi foot controller.) There are cheap programmable foot switches, sort of like this one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PC-USB-Foot-Switch-Keyboard-Pedal-L7W9-/113040544669?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0
Program it to press enter or spacebar. Click it with your foot when you want the next track to play. A musician friend of mine uses a bunch of these sorts of switches with Apply devices and sophisticated software to select background beats, reverb, and so on while on stage. Your application is much simpler. Most are connected via USB, so you would need to have one available on your touchscreen device. Still a cheap solution.

Okay, there is a fourth option;
4. Learn how to edit MC skins, and with your new knowledge, increase the size of the controls you highlighted. That may have undesirable consequences for other parts of the interface though.

But wait, there's more!
5. Get someone to write (or find) a small App that just has a big PLAY button and sends an MCWS Play command to MC on your PC.

Or even;
6. Find an Android/iOS App that can remote control MC and has a big PLAY button, or is configurable.

I'm still here!

7. How about a wireless simple remote control like those used to seniors? Big buttons, and not many of them. Arrows and Play often. Of course a wireless connection may be a bit risky in the environment you will be in.

Ha ha! That's one comprehensive response thank you!

After reading point 1 I realised that I can use the detachable keyboard (its a Dell tablet) to operate space or enter for playback which actually solves my problem in a fairly acceptable way.

Thanks again. I learned a fair bit with this response!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:05:35 am »

Good solution.

I had some fun with that response!  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up