INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4K HTPC Build (AussieMark)  (Read 1785 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
4K HTPC Build (AussieMark)
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:19:25 pm »

Hi There jmone

I want to build a new HTPC that will handle 4k.  My current 2 HTPCs only handle 4k using RO Standard which really defeats the purpose due to the colour degradation.  I got "advice" for my last build and it is an i5 running onboard intel 4k graphics ssd etc and 16gb of ram but it does not cut it.  I use a 8 bay probox with a range of differing disc sizes upto 10tb holding the content.  The computer is a asus vivo mini.

My other pc is a somewhat older build using an i5 with intel gpu 4400 i think and this is in a Silverstone gd08 box with ssd and again a bunch of HDD ranging in size upto 10tb.  I have two setups as one is in singapore and the other is in australia.

I was thinking that the most economical route would be to swap out the mother board and cpu in the gdo8 and possibly add a dedicated gpu.  I would also like ot know what is the most appropriate UHD Blue ray reader to replace the current blu ray reader i have.  I use DVDFab to rip my media.

Sorry for the long post but i am really keen to to buy the wrong gear and you look like you know what you are doing.  When i am inAustralia I am in perth btw.

Hope you can help

Cheers
Mark

Easiest and best is to add a dedicated GPU without a doubt.  The CPU is far less important.  I still have a many many years old HTPC based on a Shuttle SFF and all I do (every now and again) is push in a better GPU.  From what I've seen you really want something like a GTX1070 or better if you want to play with most of the newer madVR options and have the headroom.  Even my 960 (on a PC) and a 1060 (in the Shuttle) works fine.  The only issue is to make sure the GPU will fit in your case and your Power Supply can handle it (my Shuttle as a tiny little PS so a 1060 is about it for me on this box). 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: 4K HTPC Build (AussieMark)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:26:14 pm »

We were also discussing the decryptor in this thread - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117865.0.html
JRiver CEO Elect

AussieMark

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:56:52 pm »

Thanks I appreciate the response. Damn now I need to look at gpu prices. Any idea what us the best value blu Ray reader to buy as I assume my 6 year old blu Ray reader won't handle 4k.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 02:10:10 am »

Have a read of that other thread.  We also talk about which drive models to get (and avoid!) for being able to rip UHDs.  You may even have to downgrade the Firmware.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up