INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detached Display window on 2nd monitor  (Read 603 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Detached Display window on 2nd monitor
« on: September 07, 2018, 05:37:09 pm »

I have a HDMI monitor attached to my notebook in 'extended desktop' mode, and would like MC to play videos on that monitor automatically. However, when I start video playback, the display window is always reset to the main (notebook) monitor -- so I have to:
1.) hit 'Detach Display' (or Ctrl+6), then 2.) click + drag the display window to the other monitor, resize if necessary, and 3.) click 'Hide Borders'...
Quite a number of steps to get the video position and size I want... (luckily, MC at least remembers the position & size of the detached display...)

Is there a way, perhaps by a script, to start video playback in 'Detached Display' mode by default?

Thanks in advance!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

alb

• Recent member
Re: Detached Display window on 2nd monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 05:46:08 pm »

Very interesting!

This is exactly how my JRiver setup is in my bedroom.  MSI laptop connected to Sony XBR TV via HDMI.  From what I've experienced, JRiver will start playing on whichever screen JRiver is occupying (doesn't have to be window maximized either).  I usually work on library maintenance with JRiver maximized on my laptop screen and when I feel like watching a movie on the 55" bedroom TV I just drag the program from my laptop screen to the TV screen and away I go.

If there is an automatic way to do it, without having to put the JRiver software on the screen we want to watch movies on, that'd be awesome.  In my case, my TV is auto-switching to 3640x2160 which my TV can handle, but my laptop can not.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:39:37 pm »

Look under: Options> Tree & View> Full Screen display

You can choose the screen you want to play video on there.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:59:32 am »

Look under: Options> Tree & View> Full Screen display
You can choose the screen you want to play video on there.

Wow, thank you, I never knew... That option gets the closest to what I have in mind... only problem maybe, should I wish to play a video on the laptop screen (e.g. when the TV is off, or has a good programme for a change... ;-), I will first have to set the option back to 'Monitor #1'...

Edit: Just tried this option, but I'm afraid that's not useful... Playback starts on monitor #2 alright, but the whole main window of MC moves along with it, making it inacessible until playback is finished... No good at all... will return to old procedure, click Play, detach display and all the rest of it... ;-(

Any other option would be much appreciated though...
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 04:06:25 pm »

Some more on this issue:

When the display window is detached, other windows such as dialogues, options, confirmations etc. tend to pop up beneath the display, where they can't be seen... And worse, until the display is closed (or re-attached, thus unhiding the dialogue beneath), MC will not respond to most keyboard inputs, blocked by the hidden window...

For example, while the 'Move, Copy & Rename' window still pops up normally, the small confirmation pop up opens hidden behind the detached display (even on other monitors), causing the operation to fail unless you detect and click it away...
Pages: [1]   Go Up