INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Folder change doesn't work  (Read 590 times)

wpsancla

• Recent member
Cover Art Folder change doesn't work
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:25:23 pm »

Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder change doesn't work, suddenly shut down. When I repeat changing, it doesn't work. so I have to uninstall and re-install. Please help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cover Art Folder change doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:30:58 pm »

It worked last time I used it. But it has some pitfalls.

When you change the Cover Art location in settings, MC actually copies the contents of the original directory and then deletes the original directory. This can lead to some unexpected and undesirable results, as MC copies everything in what it considers to be the source Cover Art directory. Everything.

Note also that when you are moving Cover Art from say the "D:\JRiver MC\Cover Art" directory to the "D:\Cover Art" directory, you must create the new "D:\Cover Art" directory first using the "Browse For Folder" dialogue window or outside MC, and then select that directory in the dialogue window, and make sure that the correct folder path is selected in the "Select folder" box at the top of the dialogue. You may need to click on another directory and then back to the new Cover Art directory just to be sure it is correctly selected. You can't just point the setting to the "D:\" location, as that will copy the contents of the Cover Art directory into the root directory of the D:\ drive. i.e. It copies the "Albums", "Files", "Season", "Series", etc. sub-directories of the "D:\JRiver MC\Cover Art" directory to the "D:\" directory, and then deletes the source directory, "D:\JRiver MC\Cover Art".

I had a real problem with this some time back. I tried to move the Cover Art directory from its original location to my "F:\" drive, but I was expecting MC to just move the "Cover Art" directory. But it didn't. It copied the contents (sub-directories and files) of the "Cover Art" directory to the root of the F:\ drive. When I noticed the mistake, I tried to change the Cover Art setting to the "F:\Cover Art" directory instead. MC dutifully tried to copy everything in the "F:\" drive to the "F:\Cover Art" directory, basically duplicating everything in my F:\ drive under the new "F:\Cover Art" directory. Luckily I noticed lots of hard disk activity and killed MC. Goodness knows what would have happened if it finished the copy and tried to delete the "F:\" location!

The only way I could fix the above situation was to edit the Registry and change the MC setting to the correct new location, after I had manually created the new "F:\Cover Art" directory and cleaned up all the mess MC had created, mostly just duplicate files. I could have restored a Library Backup with settings, but I didn't want to run MC without the Cover Art issue fixed.

The Registry setting for the Cover Art location is called "File Location - Image File Location". Search Values in the Registry to find it under settings for the MC version you are using, and change it to the correct, current location of the Cover Art directory, using the full path. i.e. "F:\Cover Art" or wherever you put it.

If you need more help, please explain exactly where you tried to move the Cover Art directory from and to, which resulted in MC (or the PC?) shutting down. Also confirm what MC shows in the current setting, and what you are trying to do to change it again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wpsancla

• Recent member
Re: Re: Cover Art Folder change doesn't work
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:25:10 am »

Thank you for the long text of reply. Finally I uninstalled MC, deleted EVERYTHING in the messed-up directory, and re-installed MC, and designated another new directory that was empty. Now it works. Sorry for my English, thank you very much.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »

You are welcome.

Your English is fine. Better than my second language, which is non-existent!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:44:24 am »

This is a rather interesting post; thanks RoderickGI

In the MC Options (File Location/Cover Art) I noticed that there is a folder path option for audio mode, but no option for video mode. Does changing the location of the Cover Art folder under Options can be done also for video files? Or is there perhaps a separate folder for video Cover Art that can be customised?

This is on Win 10 64bit with MC 24.0.60.

And presuming that the above is possible, going by your excellent explanations, would I be correct then to presume that the easiest way to do this, is to go straight to the registry and simply change the value of the 'File Location - Image File Location' key, plus the Cover Art location / folder-path in the options? MC should then update the cover art location for all audio / video files after it's been restarted? Does MC also then update the cover art location in the video's relevant tag?

Furthermore, I noticed there are three other registry keys that may have to do with this. If possible, could you please clarify the use of the following keys:
File Location - Image File Location Rule
File Location - Images Base Path
File Location - Images Directory Rule

BTW, all four keys are in two locations / hives of the registry. I guess I would need to change the key values in both locations to make it work?

Thanks for your time and help. Cheers

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 04:43:23 pm »

I recommend only editing the registry to fix the problem I mentioned above, where MC is stuck with a partly completed move.

Otherwise the MC settings work fine.

I'm stuck on my phone so can't respond to the other questions easily. I suggest you search the Wiki for Cover Art topics.

No, you can't move video Cover Art, except for TV Series and Season art.

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:34:24 am »

I recommend only editing the registry to fix the problem I mentioned above, where MC is stuck with a partly completed move.

No, you can't move video Cover Art, except for TV Series and Season art.
Thanks RoderickGI; I got it. Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up