INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Applying ReplayGain/Normalisation to data mp3 CDs  (Read 2876 times)

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Applying ReplayGain/Normalisation to data mp3 CDs
« on: May 27, 2003, 11:19:58 am »

I dont normalize files during ripping, because I use replay gain. Is there any way I can apply replay gain to burned data mp3 CDs, so I wont have to keep fiddling with the volume on my car CD mp3 player, thus taking my eyes off the road and risking an accident :) ?

The only possible solution I can think of is to re-encode to temp files before burning using the same mp3 encoding settings (ie no change) but checking normalise. Will this work or am I going to lose quality due to re-encoding?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Applying ReplayGain/Normalisation to data mp3
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 11:40:05 am »

You ought to use MP3Gain, which will losslessly apply RG (compared to normalization). Files produced are forever altered, but no biggie due to first sentence (it is NOT tag based RG). RG'd files work on any/all equipment.

10-27

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:01:58 pm »

Xen
Can you say it again in 'everyday speaking english' ? ;D

I may be wrong but i do think that you can burn mp3cds using ' Replay Gain'
But ,as a rule you cannot change anything on a data cd - like on a regular cd-

Listening to Alpha Blondie NOT on MC9 who is updating a +  40.000 files library.

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 12:17:26 pm »

> I may be wrong but i do think that you can burn mp3cds using ' Replay Gain'

Well yes...how many players support MC based Replay Gain? Just one...MC

MP3Gain actually alters the data, as such there is no need for the player to understand RG. They work universally on EVERY player (and will keep lee from playin chicken on the road...unless he wants to).

10-27

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 12:24:07 pm »

You are right.
But i do not have very found memories of MP3Gain.
Specialy concerning metal.

In the case of Lee it looks like the only solution.

But maybe it is worth to copy the files to another place ,to MP3Gain -ish them , to burn them and delete them after that. Keeping the original files in Replay Gain.
One of the greatest MC/MJ fonctions

lee269

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 12:52:57 pm »

Thanks guys.

Just to be clear - I mean making sure that all mp3 files burned onto CD sound the same volumewise. Not quite sure I understand the difference between replay gain and normalisation the more I think about it.

It sounds like MP3Gain and temp files are the way. I thought as much. Just checking, from xen-unos 'lossless' quote - theres no reason not to irrevocably alter my mp3 files for loudness this way, right? I can ditch replay gain? Any comment on zevs 'metal problem'? (Although its my wife who mainly uses the car for Robbie Williams-type poptastic CDs rather than my foot-to-the-floor rock lists).

And remember - keep the BPM and volume low for safety

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 01:17:04 pm »

> theres no reason not to irrevocably alter my mp3 files for loudness this way, right?

Right on brother

> Any comment on zevs 'metal problem'

My guess is that Metal is recorded HOT and that MP3Gaining was actually dropping the volume level even when "radio gain" (vs album gain) was selected. You'll have this on newer material (and depending on genre). But the point of MP3Gain is to bring up (or drop down) all your files to a common dB level (I think it's 89 dB). The 89 dB level was chosen as to be "loud enough" while minimizing the risk of signal clipping.

Actually it may be possible to remove MP3Gain's RG IF you kept track of how much gain was applied. Then you could apply the negative or positive of that number (whatever the case may be) when the file is MP3Gained again. No reason to do this, though.

10-27

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 01:36:41 pm »

OK
So let's try to take the jewish way of trying to explain things..
Take some lipstick from you wife and use it.
Now ,you changed your look. But wippe the lipstick and you look the same than before, put it again and you change you look.
This is Replay gain: you play a playlist? Put some lipstick and you get all the tracks at the same level.
You want to play a full album? Remove or do not put  lipsky.
You will get the natural look== all the songs playing as on the original cd.

Now ,you do not take lipstick from your wife , but you have a M Jackson trip : you make a tatoo who looks as you had put lipstick. This is for ever ,you have it and you keep it
Well we know that M Jackson with the skins of 3 virgins ,200 ckickens and 500 turkeys can still change it .
But you , you cannot afford 500 turkeys  , so you stay with your 'look like i put some lipstick' tatoo.
This is MP3Gain.

So if you play often the same songs than on the cds from MC ,yes  ,the best thing to do it to make a playlist " to be Mp3Gain and burn"

My problem concerning metal was to find the right settings , who are NOt the same than other kinds of music.

Still listening to Alpha Blondie -15 albums in a row-

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 01:43:39 pm »

As Xing says , yes metal is noise.
I cannot give you the link but few months ago i found  a chart {?] concerning losslees /king of music.
Most of the classic  got a 60% reduce rate .
Other kind of music got a 60-50
Metal got a 45 or less %

BECAUSE METAL IS NOISE FOR MONGOLOIDE PEOPLE

OK ,i leave you because i want to check tags of my + 5000 metal songs...

lee269

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 09:51:32 am »

Understood - thanks guys. Ill check out MP3Gain. Not sure that I understand 'radio gain' vs 'album gain' but I guess that will become clear.

Ill probably test with some temp MP3Gained files first as I dont make car CDs too often, and I find MC replay gain works fine for playing in the house. But you set my mind at rest.

rocketsauce

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 10:33:49 am »

Radio gain makes all tracks the same loudness. Album gain preserves the dynamic differences between tracks on the same album, ie., the loud tracks are still loud and the quiet tracks are still quiet in relation to each other. Radio gain would make the loud and quiet tracks all equal loudness. So, you would use radio gain when your compiling tracks from different albums and album gain when the tracks are all from the same album.

Rob

xen-uno

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 10:38:31 am »

yup..

Radio Gain is applied to files on an individual basis, where Album Gain takes a set of files and keeps the relative volume differences between the tracks the same. It also lowers the peak (I think it's target is 83 dB). Of course, if you album gained on a per track basis, then they would all peak at 83 dB.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 09:01:15 pm »

Of course, on many CDs these days, Album Gain = Radio Gain = Normalize to 100%!

I know some people complain about how "hot" CDs are these days and how they have no dynamic range, but come on! Evanecense isn't the Boston Pops! Personally, I find excessive dynamic change in Pop/Rock/Metal music to be distracting. Jazz or classical is another story...

rocketsauce

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 11:08:21 pm »

Personally, I find excessive dynamic change in Pop/Rock/Metal music to be distracting.

I've found that it really depends on the album. Try radio gaining an album like The Wall by Pink Floyd. It becomes almost unlistenable.

Rob

lee269

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 09:19:06 am »

OK thanks - I think I get it now - just one more dumb question, if I may. If Im making a CD composed of a mixture of previously album-gained album tracks and radio-gained single tracks from my library, will this still lead to those jumps in 'loudness' that make you scramble for the volume control? Or perhaps just lessen the size of the jump?

My library is a mix of albums and single tracks. It sounds a little like I should select all files to be burned as temps and then album gain them.

xen-uno

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2003, 10:03:05 am »

yup..

You'll have a 6 dB peak to peak difference between your AG'd files and your RG'd files. That will be noticeable. How much so?...I don't know. Keep in mind that the gain is based on peak values. So that Tchaikovsky piece with the booming cannons is generally a mellower tune except when he comes out with guns afiring (and so it must hit full scale...216/2). I would think it would be a hard track to blend in with others as far as volume level is concerned (even if MP3Gained).

n68 LIVES!!!

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2003, 11:13:14 am »

Does mp3gain only work on mp3's?  What if you have a mix of files?  What works on Monkey's Audio files?

xen-uno

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2003, 12:31:39 pm »

yup..

...mp3's only. I use WavGain which is like MP3Gain in all respects, except that it works on wav's. Once done, you can convert the RG'd wav to any format (including ape). MC can RG an ape, but as mentioned earlier, it will only work within MC.

n68 LIVES!!!

MachineHead

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2003, 02:48:39 pm »

yup..

n68 LIVES!!!

Do we have an inter-forum protest going on here? I never minded how he posted, but don't know if it should be dragged over here. My $0.02
Pages: [1]   Go Up