INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Match, but they all look the same  (Read 398 times)

RHinCT

Multiple Match, but they all look the same
« on: November 11, 2018, 04:49:21 pm »

I am a total newbie to this tool.

I started ripping my music CDs to FLAC files.  Mostly it is going fine.  However I have had multiple cases of it bringing up a Multiple Match window where I must choose from two or three alternatives.  What is confusing me is that mostly I can't fine ANY differences in the choices - everything seems to be the same.  I've just been picking one, but is there anything I need to know?  Is there a simple explanation about how it got this way?

Thanks!

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple Match, but they all look the same
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 10:54:00 pm »

I rip using EAC (exact audio copy) ... but I guess principal will be the same

In EAC multiple alternatives might mean different CD presses (eg US, Japan, Australia, etc) ... those might have slight differences in audio data

When you rip CD ... your rip will be checked against result of other people rips  to ensure you rip is not corrupted (due to scratches, CD drive, etc) ... since different CD presses of same album might be different, choosing correct one will compare your rip to comparable CDs

If the result of your rips does not match other ppl rip ... try choosing alternate version in the choice ... it all comes to how important the bit perfect rip to you
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RHinCT

Re: Multiple Match, but they all look the same
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:50:13 am »

Interesting.  I have a faint familiarity with the issue of different versions and pressings from Discogs, where that seems to be taken very seriously.  But when I am posed with the question here there is NO way to differentiate between pressings in the visible information shown when making the choice.

I just ripped a Telarc CD of pieces by Aaron Copland and was offered many choices, but they all seemed to be variations on how to title a disk with a composer, conductor, symphony and three works.  I just picked the one that gave me the information I wanted to see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up